Heres a new PSU for you VIA users.

I have the PicoPSU running my Intel Shelton in my sig right now. Fun little PSU and so amazingly small. Its about 1/3 the size of my mx700.

I'm using an old power adapter from a laptop that I found on a dumpster dive a while back. I didnt even have to change the power connector, it fit the connector on the pico perfectly.

It generates little to no heat at all. Pretty much all the work is being done in the laptop power adapter and then this is really just splitting the 12V DC into 5, 3.3 and 12v. The chipset on the Shelton board is all that is producing noticable heat in my setup.

Scar1.8T said:
It generates little to no heat at all. Pretty much all the work is being done in the laptop power adapter and then this is really just splitting the 12V DC into 5, 3.3 and 12v. The chipset on the Shelton board is all that is producing noticable heat in my setup.

I can't seem to find where the plug goes... can it take a straight regular power cord from the wall?

Nope, it takes a 12V DC source, so you have to have something to get the AC current from teh wall into DC, and thats what plugs into the connector at the end of the black and white wires.

^can you post pics of your setup(or pm me)? i have the same board and want to get the same psu, I just want to see what you did and what case you put it in too.

Sure, I'll snap some off tomorrow during the day and post it up. I am using an old Sun IPX "lunchbox" case that I've modded for the Shelton.

Sounds like a nice setup, I've just purchased a Via C3M266 Socket 370 DDR Motherboard. Needs work but I may have a low powered system pretty soon.

MD

That is a great setup. Does it provide enough power to run a C3 800 setup? I am purchasing one to use as a computer for my dad for work and I would like something as quiet as possible for his office so the fans don't drive him nuts.

Scar1.8T said:
I have the PicoPSU running my Intel Shelton in my sig right now. Fun little PSU and so amazingly small. Its about 1/3 the size of my mx700.
wow that's awesome.. it is powering those 4 hard drives too?
seems like a good PSU for a simple HTPC

I only saw it on ebay for like $50. Where did you get yours?

Nope, the pico only powers the system and the boot drive. The sata cables are then threaded out of the IPX case and into the sun 911 case which has its own power supply. I got mine from what I think was the manufacturer's website.

this would be excellent for CarPC applications, where getting 12V DC is easy as cake.. however I see a problem with the booting...

drizzt81 said:
this would be excellent for CarPC applications, where getting 12V DC is easy as cake.. however I see a problem with the booting...

No problem, only "booting the car" will be a problem, as it has no voltage regulation for input it will take the full brute force of up to 15V during crank!

ScHpAnKy said:
No problem, only "booting the car" will be a problem, as it has no voltage regulation for input it will take the full brute force of up to 15V during crank!

So how would you fix this? Put in a switch to short the line or something? Start the car, then throw the switch?

~¥~ßLÅÇK~ÇîrǵT~¥~ said:
So how would you fix this? Put in a switch to short the line or something? Start the car, then throw the switch?

The easiest way is to buy a PSU that has a higher (and lower) voltage threshold, such as minibox's own M2-ATX or mpegbox's DS-ATX

I can't testify to the M2-ATX's build quality or features, but I did own a M1-ATX that was AWESOME.

The DSATX is my new toy, however, and 220W sure is a nice number to play with :)

~¥~ßLÅÇK~ÇîrǵT~¥~ said:
Well, if you needed a regulator couldnt you mod something like this onto the line or psu?

http://www.eidusa.com/Electronics_Voltage_Regulator.htm

That is a LINEAR regulator, not a switching regulator. Let's say you want an end result of 120W. That means roughly 10A@12V. Let's say the car puts out 13.4V nominal, which is pretty average I think. So that means you need to dissipate 1.4V@10A in the regulator, which means 14W of heat. Alright, totally do-able.

But you are going to have to distribute that current over a few regulators, because I think the TO-3 package regulators handle 5A maximum with proper heatsinking. Those aren't cheap, like $8 apiece or so. Figure two per setup, plus the resistors and capacitors, you've just added ~$30 after its all said and done to the price of your power supply.

But its late and I'm ranting, it could be done. If you need any help with that let me know.

what about powering USB equipment?.. and im also wondering about the stability of the 12v rail... is it a stable 12v? +/ - .1?

Back