Here is the reason to buy SC2

So... you're gonna pay $60 to play a beta map?

Don't get me wrong, SotIS is fun, but you can do a lot better if you're looking for a DotA experience.

looks cool but I wont shell out 60 bucks unless there's one made my icefrog, also if you're looking for a DotA like game, check out league of legends and heroes of newerth

looks cool but I wont shell out 60 bucks unless there's one made my icefrog, also if you're looking for a DotA like game, check out league of legends and heroes of newerth

Both of those seem like they are flash games to me, something about the graphics and play seem very flash like, I didn't like them at all, I hope this custom map becomes like dota as it would be pretty sweet.

Both of those seem like they are flash games to me, something about the graphics and play seem very flash like, I didn't like them at all, I hope this custom map becomes like dota as it would be pretty sweet.

Flash like? :confused: It's based on WC3 game engine. How is that flash like?

You're insane.

From what I've seen, it seems to have some kind of weird isometric renderer. Add to that the lack of lighting contrast and you've got a pretty two-dimensional looking game. "Flash-like" is a weird way of putting it, but it looks about as 3D as the sprite-based original. Triple the resolution and smooth out the animations in SC1 and I'd be hard-pressed to tell them apart.

So what, SOTIS is just one of hundreds of custom games that will be worth playing...

I'm no fan of BNet 2.0 but at least with it, the custom games browser won't be spammed with crappy DOTA filling up the entire list and we can actually find games we want to play unlike in War3.

So what, SOTIS is just one of hundreds of custom games that will be worth playing...

I'm no fan of BNet 2.0 but at least with it, the custom games browser won't be spammed with crappy DOTA filling up the entire list and we can actually find games we want to play unlike in War3.

dota is far from crappy, so much so that several full fledged games have been spun off from it.

From what I've seen, it seems to have some kind of weird isometric renderer. Add to that the lack of lighting contrast and you've got a pretty two-dimensional looking game. "Flash-like" is a weird way of putting it, but it looks about as 3D as the sprite-based original. Triple the resolution and smooth out the animations in SC1 and I'd be hard-pressed to tell them apart.
Flash like was the best I could do to describe it, I think you described it better, there is something off with the games visuals that I just don't like.

That was the best way I could describe the feel, Luminary described it better.

Wish I had a better understand of what this is....it sounds cool.

Can they do DOTA-like mods and tower defense stuff with SC2? I heard there is a 25mb upload limit, and since all maps/mods have to be hosted by Blizzard, are the crazy mods still possible with such a limit?

How do I play this MOD????

I have done a lot of reading this morning on the history of how this came to pass.

It started with AoS, got big with DotA, which spawned two stand alon games (HoN and League of Legends) and now SotIS for SC 2.

I can't believe I haven't seen any of this before, this sounds like a blast!

Can they do DOTA-like mods and tower defense stuff with SC2? I heard there is a 25mb upload limit, and since all maps/mods have to be hosted by Blizzard, are the crazy mods still possible with such a limit?

Err, yes. Most maps don't even get close to 1mb in size.

The galaxy editor compresses everything very well, everyone assumed it would be a problem but the file size really isn't.

People should buy the game because it's one of the best PC games ever made.

I would just buy the game.

Single player has been a blast so far and I haven't even finished it because I redid a bunch of missions to beat the requirements / challenges.

I don't think that's the only reason to buy this game.

I haven't tried SOTIS yet, and probably won't until I see its popularity improves (I've been only playing games whose popularities are maxed). I enjoyed DotA a ton back in the day (double basher clinkz, hell yeah) but LoL and HoN never really grabbed my interest. Once they get out bugs and SOTIS becomes more popular, I'll definitely give it a try though.

Last edited:
I don't think that's the only reason to buy this game.

I haven't tried SOTIS yet, and probably won't until I see it's popularity improve (I've been only playing games whose popularities are maxed). I enjoyed DotA a ton back in the day (double basher clinkz, hell yeah) but LoL and HoN never really grabbed my interest. Once they get out bugs and SOTIS becomes more popular, I'll definitely give it a try though.

Yeah I played it as this shadow guy and it would teleport way to far and I would get stuck behind trees and couldn't get out, only if he was attacking though. It was a cool game but still gots some bugs.

People should buy the game because it's one of the best PC games ever made.

This is where I come in and say TA is still the best RTS around. SC2 is just virtual rock-paper-scissors by comparison. ;)

In my experience these secondhand DotA clones tend to suffer early on from bad balance. It's a game that needs significant polish and effort to keep the bugs in check and the heroes balanced. I'll pass on this.

Back