Here Is the ASRock Phantom Gaming X AMD Radeon VII 16G Graphics Card

cageymaru

Fully [H]
ASRock has launched the product page for its upcoming AMD Radeon VII. The Phantom Gaming X Radeon VII 16G will feature AMD Radeon VII Graphics, 16GB 4096-bit HBM2, 3 x DisplayPort / HDMI, triple fan design, 8K resolution support, 7nm process, a metal backplate and FreeSync 2 HDR support. AMD previously announced the official launch date for the Radeon VII is February 7, 2019. Thanks AlphaAtlas !

World's First 7nm Gaming GPU. ASRock Phantom Gaming X Radeon VII 16G graphics card delivers extreme graphics performance to humble the most visually demanding games and real-time content creation programs. Powered by 7nm technology, Radeon VII has 45% more memory and 66% more memory bandwidth than other the competitive gaming GPUs in its class, delivering vivid gaming visuals in up to 4K and virtually limitless content creation in 8K, VR and more.

Would you recommend any specific ones? Would love to try this!

To tell you the truth I've only ever seen them in screens and videos, never tried them out myself, so I can't give you first-hand info on their ease of use and performance.

16gb of RAM...why does this card exist again LOL. First time around AMD put too little in a card now they put too much...

16gb of RAM...why does this card exist again LOL. First time around AMD put too little in a card now they put too much...

[H]ard had an interview with someone from AMD a couple weeks back and they explained its to allow these cards to be used form medium/high level gaming, which wouldn't necessarily need the Vram, but then also be a low cost solution for those who can't afford a high end workstation card to do compute or render tasks that would need the vram.

park-wooden-cartoon-shapes-hammer-tool-shape.png

I really like design style ASRock took on this card bravo very bold stick choice! Now any chance of AMD bumping up VSR a bit to you know utilize that 16GB of VRAM a touch more proactively!!

Will keep an eye out for the review. Still crazy seeing that fat memory bus.

Radeon VII
Mem Bus 4096-bit
Mem Bandwidth 1TB/s

2080 Ti
Mem Bus 352-bit
Mem Bandwidth 616GB/s

Looks like stock AMD reference card. No?

as far as right now they will all be the AMD reference model just with different stickers.. selling point will be warranty service and availability in retail stores for the AIB's.. AMD will only be selling on their website from my understanding.

I very much doubt this card will drive 4K lol

I realise your putting out bait, but its meant to be 2070/1080 performance levels so itll work with 4k fine, just not ultra settings.

Im looking forward to the reviews of this as i think nvidia has not put enough vram in there current lineup with the exception of the most expensive one.

Even the re2 remake is making use of lots of vram (p.s can Brent_Justice do a perf analysis and vram use analysis of that game?)

I realise your putting out bait, but its meant to be 2070/1080 performance levels so itll work with 4k fine, just not ultra settings.

Im looking forward to the reviews of this as i think nvidia has not put enough vram in there current lineup with the exception of the most expensive one.

Even the re2 remake is making use of lots of vram (p.s can Brent_Justice do a perf analysis and vram use analysis of that game?)

HUH? Vega 64 already trades blows with 1080. This is meant to trade blows with 2080. Please look at benches released where its averaging close 25%+ over vega 64.

Very interested in these new cards from AMD. Toying with a new build and am irked by most of the offerings from Nvidia. Prices are ridiculous for a bunch of stuff that hold no interest here--ray tracing, DLSS--technology that is only modestly supported for the moment. Appreciate the "guts" of a graphics card working hard on content creation, VR and compute tasks--not creating illusory tricks and effects for enhanced graphics in a few games. So much of the Nvidia "guts" are devoted to such things. Hoping these AMD cards will do some tough graphics/compute work. And at 7nm! Anxiously await professional reviews.

If Nvidia had offered a 2080Ti without the ray-tracing, tensor cores, AI stuff--maybe. But then there would be a big empty hole where all of that circuitry would have been and wasted space. For now it's better to keep running the old 1080Ti and wait for AMD to release their latest offerings.

Last edited:
[H]ard had an interview with someone from AMD a couple weeks back and they explained its to allow these cards to be used form medium/high level gaming, which wouldn't necessarily need the Vram, but then also be a low cost solution for those who can't afford a high end workstation card to do compute or render tasks that would need the vram.

So the poor man's Titan?

So the poor man's Titan?

Yes, poor man's Titan, without all the RTX, DLSS that Titan includes (and wastes resources on) as well. Rather the type of thing I've been wanting. Or an uber-expensive work station card. Hopefully the AMD offerings will indeed be something like that.

Isn't it actually because they need to use four HBM stacks in order to get sufficient bandwidth to give good performance, and the card that VII is based on, the MI50, comes with 4x4GB HBM so they've just gone with that rather than retooling for 4x2GB?

AMD aren't shipping these with 16GB because gamers need that much memory, it's because the card is based on a pro-grade card that does need 16GB. It's an easy win for AMD to repurpose a relatively small number of MI50s into VIIs to give them a competitive gaming card with minimal additional R&D cost.

HUH? Vega 64 already trades blows with 1080. This is meant to trade blows with 2080. Please look at benches released where its averaging close 25%+ over vega 64.

My mistake, although i trust AMDs performance numbers more than Nvidia, im not 100% convinced by there performance slide showing 3 games at 2080 performance.. Im eagerly awaiting for the independent reviews, as this could very well be my next graphics card.

amd_radeon_vii_perf_claims_1.jpg

My mistake, although i trust AMDs performance numbers more than Nvidia, im not 100% convinced by there performance slide showing 3 games at 2080 performance.. Im eagerly awaiting for the independent reviews, as this could very well be my next graphics card.

View attachment 138231
What? AMD numbers have also to be bull shit in the past. Never trust manufacturers number no matter who it is. Wait for 3rd party reviews always.

Someone says this fud every week.. Current vega64 is 1080 level. V56 1070 to 1080.
This card is 2080 level or 1080ti but twice the vram will give good future proofing and texture mod facilitation.

View attachment 138231
Let me get this out there first, I may be reaching with this comment.

There's a possibility that AMD downplayed the performance of the Radeon VII. They downplayed the performance of their Ryzen 2 that they displayed, showing only mid range engineering samples. This is the first time they have downplayed anything in a loooooong time. Who knows, this card might actually be better than what we are expecting. We will know, once the [H] can release reviews on it.

Isn't it actually because they need to use four HBM stacks in order to get sufficient bandwidth to give good performance, and the card that VII is based on, the MI50, comes with 4x4GB HBM so they've just gone with that rather than retooling for 4x2GB?

AMD aren't shipping these with 16GB because gamers need that much memory, it's because the card is based on a pro-grade card that does need 16GB. It's an easy win for AMD to repurpose a relatively small number of MI50s into VIIs to give them a competitive gaming card with minimal additional R&D cost.

Too true and great detailed analysis as it totally supports what AMD had stated about this series. They are dual purpose cards. On one hand the card can be used for gaming and yes that amount of memory is unneeded while the other role is professional which is what that memory is intended.

I can't imagine it would have been that hard to cut the memory in half and release it at $499 with 8GB of memory though, especially if that $320 number for the HBM2 is accurate.

So will this card work with say, SolidWorks, like a FirePro would? And give you all the OpenGL eye candy? And also work for gaming?

Back