Here Comes Facebook and Twitch Better Watch Out

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Facebook has announced they are going to open up a dedicated gaming portal where you can go and watch video streams. They say the new portal will make it easier for people to discover gaming video and help others to bring content to the platform. Also, they are planning on adding other features in the future that are very Twitch like. Twitch better start watching their back because a big nasty ape is about to jump into their playground.

Many people already watch gaming videos in News Feed, Groups and Pages, and we want to do more to help creators get discovered and reach new fans. To make it easier for people to find and follow gaming content, we’ve recently started testing a new gaming video destination on Facebook — available at the short URL fb.gg — that aggregates live and prerecorded gaming video on Facebook in one place.

Are they going to curate it so that people don't have to worry about things that would offend them existing even though they could normally choose to ignore them?

I mean, we wouldn't want an organization as responsible as Facebook to enable evil developers from pushing shock-value entertainment and profit from it. We'd much rather they just continue to mine our personal data and sell share it with the highest bidder other responsible companies in the world.

Facebook is actually the first option in the (short) list of Nvidia shadowplay streaming sites, above Twitch and YT. It's been there for awhile IIRC.

I don't know what this change means for the site (I don't really use Facebook), but Facebook as a Twitch competitor isn't new.

I'm not going to install a Facebook app on my phone or Roku. Does it even have Chromecast capability from a browser? I'll just use Twitch.

But I'm probably not the target demo.

Many people already watch gaming videos in News Feed, Groups and Pages, and we want to do more to help creators get discovered and reach new fans. To make it easier for people to find and follow gaming content, we’ve recently started testing a new gaming video destination on Facebook — available at the short URL fb.gg — that aggregates live and prerecorded gaming video on Facebook in one place.

Translation: We have a new way to monitor gamer's friends and activities so we can add more data to our files for sale to those who will pay our price and for sharing with our Chinese friends.

Wonder how long before FB ads start showing up in select games? FPS below a certain level? See an in-game billboard ad for the latest video card from vendor X. Ping rate above a certain level? NPC starts hawking ISP Y.

3913DC16-CEAC-4A8B-A0EC-924B12DE7BCB.gif
Lmao Faceberg still thinks it’s relevant.

Back