Here are AMD's Radeon VII Benchmarks

AMD is implementing DXR. Your argument is wholly invalid; RTX will be used on major releases going forward.

RTX is DOA and its not amd's doing

WHEN THE RTX SERIES LAUNCHED WHAT GAMES LAUNCHED WITH IT AND SUPPORTED DLSS AND RAY-TRACEING? 0 This is what we call a paper launch as none of this was ready on the release day

WHAT GAMES SUPPORT BOTH "FEATURES TODAY 1 - MAYBE 3 cause it is being ignored without nv handing out buckets of money!

As Amd will implement their own way to support dxr and it will be the standard used on consoles again nv's implementation will be brushed aside. Let me repeat for those in the back RTX IS DOA

It's missing the features on the 2080, so it is 1080Ti-level.
I own a 2080 and think its similar to the Radeon 7 because as of now RTX is not a true experience enhancing feature to me. Its really like one of those commercials for prescription medicines that if used will cause all these symptoms that make not using it sound like a better idea. Will it pan out or be usable later who knows? I just like buying the new new. I had an urge to upgrade my 1440 experience may get a second 2080 and go 4k (even with its almost dead nvlink support). Until RTX/DRX is in the lowest common platform its not going to thrive. Lets have this talk when consoles have it as a bullet point.

Reactions: noko
like this
I own a 2080 and think its similar to the Radeon 7 because as of now RTX is not a true experience enhancing feature to me

"as of now"

"to me"

Your perspective is valid for you, but it doesn't invalidate that ray tracing is the future, it is implemented in DXR, and AMD has not implemented DXR in this card- so it should be compared to pre-DXR Nvidia cards like the 1080-series.

"as of now"

"to me"

Your perspective is valid for you, but it doesn't invalidate that ray tracing is the future, it is implemented in DXR, and AMD has not implemented DXR in this card- so it should be compared to pre-DXR Nvidia cards like the 1080-series.

i cant take you seriously this is dx10 vs dx10.1 all over again

AMD is developing DXR hardware based on the standard that Microsoft and Nvidia have already released.

DXR was not ready on rtx launch day. hmm i wonder why... oh wait Microsoft set the standard and its release schedule not nvidia. Windows DXR support came in the bugged 1809 release that msft is still squashing bugs in.

i cant take you seriously this is dx10 vs dx10.1 all over again

Perhaps you would take movie studios seriously? Ray tracing is the future that rasterization has been simulating.

Microsoft set the standard nv had no role in Microsoft's decision on software and when to release it it came in the bugged 1809 release that msft are still bug fighting

Microsoft set the standard with the help of Nvidia, who was actually developing hardware, just like Nvidia did with DX10, and ATI did with DX9, before AMD's acquisition killed their market-leading momentum.

"as of now"

"to me"

With the performance the 2080 provides with the RTX features right now, not some crystal ball reading what ifs, is that something that is a good representation of how this technology should perform(Fidelity and Frame time)? No, if you said the RTX benchmark numbers represent the entry level RTX card then yes but even the 2080ti is barely acceptable above 1080.

amd likely will not go the dedicated ray-tracing hardware route like nv dxr is the future RTX IS DEAD
I think it is too soon pronounce RTX is dead or RTX is the future, frankly we don't know what is AMD implementation for dxr until we actually see it, I do think it is likely both vendor implementation dxr will just coexist.

I was really hoping for something cheaper and not so hot and power hungry. I would have been more excited to see something that could compete with the 2060 with a power target that doesn't melt your face off. This really doesn't do anything for me, I already have two Vega cards and they turn my cases into ovens.

I was really hoping for something cheaper and not so hot and power hungry. I would have been more excited to see something that could compete with the 2060 with a power target that doesn't melt your face off. This really doesn't do anything for me, I already have two Vega cards and they turn my cases into ovens.

Navi is the RTX 2060 competitor (probably same performance at same price but after 8 months)

Exactly. Same performance and price as 1080ti two years later.

AMD is the kid that gets a shiny "participation trophy" if these marks are true. Disappointing as hell.
The 2080 is similar price and performance to the 1080 Ti two years later. How do you feel about that? Or how about the extortionate price to performance ratio of the 2080 Ti? You all good with that?

Last edited:
The 2080 is similar price and performance to the 1080 Ti two years later. How do you feel about that?

And since nVidia stagnates price/performance - which they certainly do - we can't be disappointed others do as well, even further down the the track?

The fact remains VII looks by all accounts (and AMD's own words) to provide the same performance at the same price as a card that was available two years ago. And we're supposed to be happy about that? In my 25 years following this industry I've never seen a company posit hardware that performs the same that their competition was offering years back (well... except for maybe Matrox).

The whif of "protect mah companie" is strong in here.

And since nVidia stagnates price/performance - which they certainly do - we can't be disappointed others do as well, even further down the the track?

The fact remains VII looks by all accounts (and AMD's own words) to provide the same performance at the same price as a card that was available two years ago. And we're supposed to be happy about that? In my 25 years following this industry I've never seen a company posit hardware that performs the same that their competition was offering years back (well... except for maybe Matrox).

The whif of "protect mah companie" is strong in here.
That’s actually not what’s going on in here whatsoever. People are just happy that AMD is competing with NVIDIA on any level because it’s been a while and competition is a good thing. The rampant negativity is the issue.

That’s actually not what’s going on in here whatsoever. People are just happy that AMD is competing with NVIDIA on any level because it’s been a while and competition is a good thing. The rampant negativity is the issue.

That's fair, and it is good to see AMD will have an offering at the (near) top end again. However, I see it more as a "my 10 year-old learned to dive today at swim class when the other 10 year-old was diving years ago". Again, Billy gets his participation trophy.

VII needed to be 10% faster than 2080 and/or sell (SELL not msrp) for $600-650 to move the ball along the field. At current (expected) performance and price, VII is an outdated proposition before leaving the cargo containers.

Worth qualifying I'm talking about gaming here, not compute or content creation where VII sounds like a good offering.

• PhysX is a software layer thats been incorporated into game engines and is now platform agnostic.
  • How did you come up with this ascertain? show me the numbers that support your statement?
  • Same performance as a rtx 2080 that was launched 3 months ago your 1080ti argument is useless compare new to new ffs
Amd is doing what they do best release a product that is an alternative to nv's high end card.

perhaps you should stick to your day job?

Who cares about the RTX 2080? The real issue is that AMD still does not have a competitor to nVidia's top end card, and that AMD isn't bothering to be competitive at all in pricing. AMD is only reaching where nVidia was 2 years ago. That is a fact. They're also charging the same as what nVidia was charging 2 years ago. That is AMD's decision, not nVidia's.

In retrospect, those who bought the 1080ti brand new probably got the best value because the price/performance ratio is still the same 2 years later. More so if they mined with it.

The negativity is not an issue when it is rooted in fact. Fact is AMD still cannot compete with nVidia in the high end segment. FYI, that segment has moved to the $800+ range due to nVidia price gouging. Mid-high is now the $500-$700 range, which used to be in the $250-400 range. And AMD selling Vega VII at $600 is doing absolutely nothing to curb the nVidia price gouging.

...And AMD selling Vega VII at $600 is doing absolutely nothing to curb the nVidia price gouging.

VII is $700, not $600. Also that's AMD's MSRP: only the GPU gods know how much prices are going to be pumped once they hit (but one thing's for sure... prices will be higher than MSRP).

VII for $600 would have at least move the ball down the field for a first down, albeit not a touchdown. As it is, it's the same proposition you could have had two years ago. And yes, folks who bought 1080 ti at release (myself included) are sitting pretty.

VII is $700, not $600. Also that's AMD's MSRP: only the GPU gods know how much prices are going to be pumped once they hit (but one thing's for sure... prices will be higher than MSRP).

VII for $600 would have at least move the ball down the field for a first down, albeit not a touchdown. As it is, it's the same proposition you could have had two years ago.

You're right, it's worse than I thought.

Well if you're going VR then Nvidia is really the best option for performance. 2080 probably the best option with the inclusion of VR-link
I probably agree with your 2080 opinion but with only 8GB of RAM I am worried about that holding back a newer high-rez headset. Hell the 1080ti has 11GB. I was thinking that the 16GB RAM and giant memory bandwidth (1TB/s wow) might give V2 and edge at extreme VR rez. I will be checking out 4K benches for sure. I hope there are some VR benches coming.
I see the VR-Link on the 2000 series. What does it do? I know the 1080ti doesn't have it, yet is a great VR card.

*edit: Just read that some 1000 series cards have VR-Link.

Last edited:
Has things change for AMD and VR in last year because I went to my 1070ti for my Vive since Vega64 was worse fps/smoothness wise. I haven't use VR for months so don't know current state.

VII for $600 would have at least move the ball down the field for a first down, albeit not a touchdown. As it is, it's the same proposition you could have had two years ago. And yes, folks who bought 1080 ti at release (myself included) are sitting pretty.

$700 is launch price and I think everyone has either a 1080/1080ti/Vega so don't think VII will be in huge demand. May have some VII launch price gouging, but have to believe after a month it's down to $650 or lower. I wasn't really paying attention to GPU market when 2080's released, but it's only been a few months and see plenty models in stock. Looks like don't need to buy on launch day in current market to ensure getting a card. It be nice if 2080 or VII is on a deal for $600 before March (either is very capable for 4k/60hz VRR monitor).

$700 is launch price and I think everyone has either a 1080/1080ti/Vega so don't think VII will be in huge demand. May have some VII launch price gouging, but have to believe after a month it's down to $650 or lower. I wasn't really paying attention to GPU market when 2080's released, but it's only been a few months and see plenty models in stock. Looks like don't need to buy on launch day in current market to ensure getting a card. It be nice if 2080 or VII is on a deal for $600 before March (either is very capable for 4k/60hz VRR monitor).

I have a feeling there's going to be a not-insignificant number of semi-dormant miners coming out of the woodwork for VII. Compute is likely going to be very good on the card, and there are a lot of folks who think it's just a matter of time until the next crypto boom. Just spitballing, but I see VII as being $800+ when it hits the channel for the first months, then will either drop to MSRP or price will skyrocket depending on what happens in the crypto market.

Has things change for AMD and VR in last year because I went to my 1070ti for my Vive since Vega64 was worse fps/smoothness wise. I haven't use VR for months so don't know current state.
I don't think much has been improved for the older Vegas. V2 doubles the memory bandwidth, doubles the ROPs and doubles the RAM. It should be an improvement without even considering the speed bump as that is a lot of bottlenecks removed. Benchmarks will tell.

If I did not already have a RX Vega 56 flashed with a Vega 64 bios, I might consider this card. However, I have been gaming at 1080p 144hz freesync style with my Powercolor Red Devil RX580 and enjoying that very much.

Not to sidetrack too much, running R9 290 SLI on old games like TF2, COD:WAW @ 1080P no reason to bother with any of this ray tracing, 4k, 1440 whatever really. Coming from the original wolfenstein at 320, 1080P is awesome.

Not to sidetrack too much, running R9 290 SLI on old games like TF2, COD:WAW @ 1080P no reason to bother with any of this ray tracing, 4k, 1440 whatever really. Coming from the original wolfenstein at 320, 1080P is awesome.
If you’re gaming at 1080p, you can use just about any GPU. The conversation is regarding 4K. It’s like if the thread was about super cars and you chime in bragging about your Mazda Miata.

That's fair, and it is good to see AMD will have an offering at the (near) top end again. However, I see it more as a "my 10 year-old learned to dive today at swim class when the other 10 year-old was diving years ago". Again, Billy gets his participation trophy.

VII needed to be 10% faster than 2080 and/or sell (SELL not msrp) for $600-650 to move the ball along the field. At current (expected) performance and price, VII is an outdated proposition before leaving the cargo containers.

Worth qualifying I'm talking about gaming here, not compute or content creation where VII sounds like a good offering.
Yes, I agree they’re late to the party.

If you’re gaming at 1080p, you can use just about any GPU. The conversation is regarding 4K. It’s like if the thread was about super cars and you chime in bragging about your Mazda Miata.

No the conversation is about the Radeon7 and I was replying not to you but to a quoted response and there it ended. So why do you feel the need to "chime in"?

Yes, I agree they’re late to the party.

No the conversation is about the Radeon7 and I was replying not to you but to a quoted response and there it ended. So why do you feel the need to "chime in"?

Exactly! Yeah, the Radeon VII announcement strangely got me excited all over again from what I already have but then again, when it comes to computers, that happens....... :)

Who cares about the RTX 2080? The real issue is that AMD still does not have a competitor to nVidia's top end card, and that AMD isn't bothering to be competitive at all in pricing. AMD is only reaching where nVidia was 2 years ago. That is a fact. They're also charging the same as what nVidia was charging 2 years ago. That is AMD's decision, not nVidia's.

In retrospect, those who bought the 1080ti brand new probably got the best value because the price/performance ratio is still the same 2 years later. More so if they mined with it.

The negativity is not an issue when it is rooted in fact. Fact is AMD still cannot compete with nVidia in the high end segment. FYI, that segment has moved to the $800+ range due to nVidia price gouging. Mid-high is now the $500-$700 range, which used to be in the $250-400 range. And AMD selling Vega VII at $600 is doing absolutely nothing to curb the nVidia price gouging.

Yada, yada, who cares about the 2080, not supporting my narrative, yada, yada, AMD sucks and are stuck in the past, yada, yada. Yawn. They released what appears to be a very solid product and upgrade for more than just gamers. But hey, guess you are expecting miracles just barely a year after the debacle left behind by the other dude that got canned. (And barely two years after AMD just started turning things around.)

Would I buy the specific card? Probably not but, that is because of what I already have and the fact that although I game more than I used too, I do not game near enough to buy one. (Vega56, RX580 and RX570 owner.) What do you expect AMD to do, take it chin at a loss? LOL :eek::LOL::rolleyes:

Exactly! Yeah, the Radeon VII announcement strangely got me excited all over again from what I already have but then again, when it comes to computers, that happens....... :)
Flashed 56 to 64 - i like that idea.
ok its over El Derpo.

There are some nasty people on these forums that think they are admins or even more.

WTS: Vega 64 LC $350...

Really though, this looks like another toy I have to have.

Flashed 56 to 64 - i like that idea.

There are some nasty people on these forums that think they are admins or even more.

Just a precaution but, I was able to do that on mine because it was essentially a release reference model that had the better ram, Samsung ram, I believe. Just did not want folks to go out and do this without the proper warning. (This did not unlock the CU's though.) I really enjoyed the presentation, Lisa did a bang up job. This Radeon VII is a good card for what it can do and I like how they intentionally steered away from the Vega name and its negative connotations.

"as of now"

"to me"

And quite a few others that are owners of that hardware. Otherwise, your claims about the Radeon VII are strictly valid only for you, it does not validate what you are saying. :D

Just a precaution but, I was able to do that on mine because it was essentially a release reference model that had the better ram, Samsung ram, I believe. Just did not want folks to go out and do this without the proper warning. (This did not unlock the CU's though.) I really enjoyed the presentation, Lisa did a bang up job. This Radeon VII is a good card for what it can do and I like how they intentionally steered away from the Vega name and its negative connotations.
Thanks for the heads up I am careful. Yes they had to break away from the Vega connotation. Not sure why everyone is pining their hopes on Navi, a mid range part. Not like AMD is going to introduce DXR on that I don't think. Probably next gen after Navi I would hope.

Happy for them with this. Not in the market for a new card but I do think this looks nice for those in the 2070-2080 bracket of gaming. In regards to some of the peculiar 4k gains they saw it might relate to the increased Vram size. Like most, can't wait for [H]ard's tests.

Back