Help: XP Pro install doesn't see Raptor, but bios does...

TheCur

[H]F Junkie
So I just put together my new E6600 / Gigabyte 680i / Corsair mem / 8800GTX system and I got into bios, I've enabled "IDE" mode for SATA controller in my bios, and and trying to install Windows XP Pro on a single 74Gb Raptor on my brand new build.

When I get into the beginning of Windows, it tells me that it can't find any mass storage devices, yet in the bios, and in POST startup, it detects it as a 74Gb WD740ADFD. I didn't set any jumpers on the drive since it's on the SATA0 controller, and it didn't come with any jumpers installed. Sata controllers are enabled, and raid is turned off.

Thoughts / suggestions / ideas all appreciated

Right click on your computer and go to "Manage"
Under Disk Management do you see it?
If you do, you need to format/assign it a drive letter.

Right click on your computer and go to "Manage"
Under Disk Management do you see it?
If you do, you need to format/assign it a drive letter.

Yeah..he's installing XP, not adding a drive.

During the inital blue screens of the xp install. It tells you to press f6 to load drivers, do this and put in floppy with drivers for the sata controller OR get a winxp install with drivers slipstreamed.

Though to be honest most intel boards usually have native drivers.

...but I'm just using 1 drive, I don't want a RAID array. I'm unfamiliar with NVRaid SATA controllers, so sorry if this is "obvious" to most. I have a floppy with the MCP55 Sata drivers, but didn't think I would need to use it.

So if the NVRaid controller is enabled (even with all it's channels disabled), you still have to install drivers for it, regardless of if you plan to use RAID arrays or not?

Do I totally need to disable the NVRaid controller? I had just turned the individual channels to disable, but the NVRaid controller itself. Is there any reason I'd want to have these drivers installed if I don't plan on using RAID at all ?

Back