Help! XFX R9 295x2 died on me...

regk

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

I am hoping that one of your brilliant minds may be able to help me. I have an XFX R9 295x2 that has been working flawlessly for the longest time. when i went to boot my system up the other day i got 2 beeps indicating no GPU was present. I thought this was weird, as I hadn't touched the system. I removed the card, and reinstalled it, and nadda.... (however the card still lights up, fans spin etc. I had paid a small fortune for it and was hoping it was the rest of the system. i swapped the card into my test bench, and the exact same issue came up. to verify i had a spare (ancient) gpu that i tried in both systems that worked without a charm. (one system is an i3 2100 on an intel board, the other is a 3570k on a gigabyte board. both running high wattage corsair PSUs capable of supporting the card)

I was thinking that I might have a shot at warranty, as I purchased it fairly recently from a local computer shop that was going out of business. Turns out the people who owned the shop purchased the card online, and then resold it to me down the line... hence my warranty is done, and the good folks at XFX cant make a case for me, and while that's disheartening, i understand their POV.... I am still awaiting to hear if they can attempt a repair of the card for me on my own dime. but based on it being a reference design it sounds like this isint going to happen. I feel like garbage but I cant be mad at them, as I understand their position...

Im a bit brokenhearted, while the card may be outdated by today's standards I found it an absolute joy to use and was the envy of my friends, and if the game supported it it crushed it!!, it reminded me of an old school muscle car! if there is any suggestion you can offer me i'll gladly try..

Thanks!

Reg

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Lol, thanks! I'm going to pour one out for the old gal tonight, unless some dark voodoo can resurrect her from the dead! (my lame attempt at an OG SLI joke!)

I imagine getting another 295x2 second hand is probably going to be cheaper than a repair... I guess get a quote from XFX and then go shopping?

Get a Devil 13 390 x2 16 GB. Stick with the old school muscle. The extra vram will be like putting on a supercharger for modern games.

first of all? small fortune for a very very old used card? the card was bad ass for its time but i cant imagine it worth much right now....RX580 (8gb) are selling as low as 100-120 bucks as i should know i just sold one...I just bought my vega64 for 350 brand new.

secondly: look into the bake method....I have fixed a couple cards in the oven just re flowing bad solder connections https://hardforum.com/threads/holy-crap-it-worked-dead-video-card-resurrected.1421792/

Stick with the wattage sucking old school card. The rumble of those fans drives the girls wild.

20190226_115716.png

Reactions: N4CR
like this
You guys crack me up! I'm thinking I might try the oven method lol.. if not I may just try and cut my losses and sell it for parts locally. I totally want to look into that 390x2 lol sounds wild!

first of all? small fortune for a very very old used card? the card was bad ass for its time but i cant imagine it worth much right now...

Why do people spend $50k+ on a used Chevelle SS when they can find something newer, faster, cheaper, and far more efficient? Because it has soul.

If the triple roaring fans of dual 512 bit bus double pumpers each feeding Hawaii cores pushing 800 watts of horsepower doesn't get your heart racing, than I don't know what will.

https://m.hardocp.com/article/2015/10/19/powercolor_devil_13_dual_core_r9_390_video_card_review

Why do people spend $50k+ on a used Chevelle SS when they can find something newer, faster, cheaper, and far more efficient? Because it has soul.

If the triple roaring fans of dual 512 bit bus double pumpers each feeding Hawaii cores pushing 800 watts of horsepower doesn't get your heart racing, than I don't know what will.

https://m.hardocp.com/article/2015/10/19/powercolor_devil_13_dual_core_r9_390_video_card_review
Oh its fantastic until you actually feel the 800watts of heat generated from your box...I say no fucking way!!! My vega64 pumps about 300watts into my room and my lord!!! i can deal with this but cant imagine every again purchasing something with substantially more tdp generated unless i lived in the arctic snow area and needed the heat for the home. You want something bad ass get a Radeon 7!!! its totally worth the 700 if a person can afford it. Im truly tempted to get one if certain things work out

Oh its fantastic until you actually feel the 800watts of heat generated from your box...

Most muscle cars aren't exactly good daily drivers. But they can be fun to show off and a joy to tinker on. Maybe this is the techy version of that.

Except here you are spending less than a weeks salery versus a years worth.

first of all? small fortune for a very very old used card? the card was bad ass for its time but i cant imagine it worth much right now....RX580 (8gb) are selling as low as 100-120 bucks as i should know i just sold one...I just bought my vega64 for 350 brand new.

secondly: look into the bake method....I have fixed a couple cards in the oven just re flowing bad solder connections https://hardforum.com/threads/holy-crap-it-worked-dead-video-card-resurrected.1421792/
They're stupid expensive on ebay for some reason - I guess collectors want them? There was a while they were profitable to use for mining, but I don't think that's the case now.

XFX used to have lifetime warranties, have you checked?

I was thinking that I might have a shot at warranty, as I purchased it fairly recently from a local computer shop that was going out of business. Turns out the people who owned the shop purchased the card online, and then resold it to me down the line... hence my warranty is done, and the good folks at XFX cant make a case for me, and while that's disheartening, i understand their POV.... I am still awaiting to hear if they can attempt a repair of the card for me on my own dime. but based on it being a reference design it sounds like this isint going to happen. I feel like garbage but I cant be mad at them, as I understand their position...

After searching the forums for some possible fixes for the card, i found the info for XFXsupport on here. Mark was super prompt in getting back to me but ultimately my card was just too far out of warranty to do anything with. I feel for what he has to go through in a day. Props to him for trying to go to bat for us!

Theres also the Radeon Pro Duo 8GB and 32GB cards. The 8GB is dual Fiji (R9 Fury) and the 32GB is dual Polaris. AMD seems to have shunned Fiji so the Radeon Pro Duo 32GB would likely be the best performer of the dual GPU cards. With the added VRAM and better efficiency of Polaris it makes a bit more sense. Again, these cards are worth a lot on ebay. Not sure what you're willing to spend but this is currently the cheapest one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radeon-PRO...419005?hash=item4d8dcbb37d:g:YzYAAOSwcOtcc1Iz

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I am sorry for your Loss. I was running 3 290X's watercooled for quite some time and had to let them go as well... sniffle.

My second rig still has 4x 290x video cards. If you can keep it going, keep it going. The 290x series cards were the best I've ever owned.

I have a NIB seale
I am sorry for your Loss. I was running 3 290X's watercooled for quite some time and had to let them go as well... sniffle.

I had 3 Sapphire 290s with Koolance blocks and Liquid Metal TIM (I live on the EDGE, only way to be [H]!!!) that were platinum cards. Each would do 1.3Ghz on the core, and I could do 1.250Ghz in Cross-Fire. I mined a ton of ETH with those suckers too :-D...

OP, I can hook you up with a golden sample VEGA 64 (reference board with Samsung ram) that has an EK full cover block for a great price (considering the blocks are worth $100+ used since EK does not make them any longer)...It would crush that 295x2 in every way (except power draw! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:) and your wallet. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

You guys crack me up! I'm thinking I might try the oven method lol.. if not I may just try and cut my losses and sell it for parts locally. I totally want to look into that 390x2 lol sounds wild!
If you have a basic multimeter and decent eyes you can do some basic board level troubleshooting/repairs. It was fairly common for a mosfet to die on that series of card or develop a dead short to ground near the 12v input plugs. if you spot anything burnt that would be a good starting point and also check some SMD caps to see if they are shorted.

Send it to me and I can try and fix it for you. I fixed one already with success, along with an HD 7990.

never been unlocked / apart / mined = 8000Mhz Samsung memory on board = 6 phase Sapphire power design for 375watt pcb layout = why it says 750 watt min for this one card on the box for your power supply as it can eat that alone as it's has a 390x core = R9 - 290x New Edition

Last edited:
Back