Help without the worst case possible

Vasha

Weaksauce
I need all the help I can get. See I have a computer that has no windows cds.

So I have a bad problem. I am getting a bsod but it lasts for less than a second. So I dont have any idea what it is. Also it wont boot. I tried safe and all of that. Nothing. Like I said I have no windows cds because it came with Windows xp media center installed. I dont mind reformatting but I have no cds and have no idea what to do. I cant get into my computer and im stuck...

Ideas?

I don't know what you are suggesting, but contact Dell or HP or whoever you bought it from and ask for some to re-install with.

If you bought this from an HP, Dell, Toshiba, etc. there is most likely a restore partition on the hard drive which will restore the OS. Look through the papers that came with the PC or call their Tech Support for instructions.

If you bought this from 'Joe's Computer Shack' and there is no CD or Certificate of Authenticity sticker on the PC then that is illegal.

I would bring it back to Joe and tell him to fix it, give you the CD and put a sticker on your PC or you will be contacting Microsoft's Anti-piracy hot line, and you don't intend to pay for any of that.

If you bought this from a friend/tag sale, you are SOL and will have to pony up the loot and buy a copy of the OS from a store.

Hope that helps.

well i bought it from ibuypower a year ago and i found a recovery disk. But dont I need a windows cd to install it. Btw how long to reformat? Its taking a very long time. I mean I been stuck at 3% for 45 minutes Its only a 300 gig hd. But the disk is all scratched up. I dont understand because it has never been touched.... Any ways.......

Its only a 300 gig hd
ONLY a 300GB? lol

Heck, formatting 80GB drives can take an hour or longer, depending what kind of drive you have.

If you did a quick format, it should be done in a minute or two, unless you have some bad sectors or something and you are needing to wipe the slate clean.

Back