Help with windows 2k to 7 upgrade

Hikaru IchijoSL

Limp Gawd
I have 2k on my current computer I am purchasing a larger hard drive tomorrow and getting a w7 home premium upgrade. How do I put the 7 on the new hard drive do I have to install 2000 first or is there a way to go straight to 7 saving time. Thanks for the help.

I don't know about 7 but previous upgrades would allow you to do a clean install. You just had to prove that you had a previous version by inserting the media.

According to this Microsoft page Windows 2000 is not eligible for Windows 7 Upgrade pricing. You must purchase the full product.

This will, of course, dictate a clean install. Vista is required for an in-place upgrade. XP or later is required for upgrade pricing. Anyone else must purchase a full copy and do a clean install.

another question then I have a dell oem xp can I load it on my computer and upgrade using that. Do I have to install or just put the cd in when asked

According to this Microsoft page Windows 2000 is not eligible for Windows 7 Upgrade pricing. You must purchase the full product.

It'll need to be confirmed by somebody who has the windows 7 upgrade pack and tries using it with Windows 2000.

Originally Microsoft Store indicated that Windows 2000 would qualify the Windows 7 Upgrade key. Later Microsoft removed that information. It is as yet unclear if that is because the upgrade key will not be accepted or whether it was simply information Microsoft didn't want made public.

I've seen reports of people who have complained to Microsoft and been promised a full install package as replacement, because they'd ordered the Upgrade pack after being informed that it would be usable with Windows 2000 as a qualifying product.

A better question would be why in the world anyone running a 10 year old OS would expect to be eligible for upgrade pricing. I mean come on.

Interesting. Maybe an answer could be found from asking is Win 2000 WGA compatible?

The current theory goes that the product needs to be activated in order to be a valid upgrade. If there is no activation or genuine advantage certification then that could explain why it was pulled as an acceptable OS to upgrade from.

Windows 2000 does not have product activation, thought it is covered by WGA.

Product Activation is the key requirement for an upgrade to Windows 7. So no, you can't upgrade from Windows 2000, because Microsoft can't tell if you installed it on 100 machines with the same key.

Product Activation is the key requirement for an upgrade to Windows 7. So no, you can't upgrade from Windows 2000, because Microsoft can't tell if you installed it on 100 machines with the same key.

Have you tested this to verify? With Upgrade media/key?

I'm well aware that it's "common wisdom" that this is the case, but I've yet to see the contention tested and verified by somebody who has used upgrade media/key to verify. I've yet to see an 'official' Microsoft document which explicitly states that activation is required. The documents I've seen all make reference to 'genuine' Windows being needed as a valid qualifying product. There's a lot of assumption inherent to the "common wisdom" methinks!

Anyways, that's kinda immaterial. Fact is that Microsoft initially advertised the Upgrade Packs as being suitable for use with Windows 2000 licenses, som customers have purchased/pre-ordered Upgrade Packs on the basis of that advertising, and Microsoft are now liable for ensuring that those customers are delivered a product which meets the initially stated usage purposes. Hell, even with the rather weak (in comparison to some other countries) consumer protection laws existant in the US it's still illegal to sell products which aren't suitable for the stated purposes. False advertising is false advertising.

If somebody has purchased the thing during the time Microsoft advertised it as being suitable for upgrading a Windows 2000 license they should make approach, complain, and insist upon being provided with a suitable product. Microsoft has already offered full license packages to some people who have done so.

Fact is that Microsoft initially advertised the Upgrade Packs as being suitable for use with Windows 2000 licenses, some customers have purchased/pre-ordered Upgrade Packs on the basis of that advertising, and Microsoft are now liable for ensuring that those customers are delivered a product which meets the initially stated usage purposes. Hell, even with the rather weak (in comparison to some other countries) consumer protection laws existant in the US it's still illegal to sell products which aren't suitable for the stated purposes. False advertising is false advertising.
The list of "applicable operating systems for upgrade pricing" that you're referring to was for the Beta version of Windows 7; it holds absolutely no bearing on the requirements of the RTM version.

If you purchased the final version on the grounds that Microsoft said the beta allowed what you want to do...well, tough luck. You only have a case if they specifically stated that the RTM would support that upgrade path.

The list of "applicable operating systems for upgrade pricing" that you're referring to was for the Beta version of Windows 7; it holds absolutely no bearing on the requirements of the RTM version.

Wrong. The info appeared on Microsoft Store website for the 'Half Price Upgrade PreOrder' special deal, and remained there for full priced preorders for a fair while before Microsoft altered the Eligibility information displayed there.

Back