Help with win2K problem!

OwNjaH

Limp Gawd
i have a friend that told me his comp is acting weird... almost all of the icons on the desktop changed to the "windows" icon (the white one), and when he tries to click on the icons, nothing happens.. i followed the target to the icons, and i click on EXCELEXE or something, and it doesnt run...

i tried going into the add/remove progs but i get some damn error. anyone know what might be wrong with it?

its not that the icons arent there, its that when i click on the apps in the folders themselves, and they dont work..
the excel.exe icon in the msoffice folder is also like that... the damn white icon with the window on it... wtf is wrong? when i click on the progs they dont launch.

i cant seem to be abble to open .exe files.. when i go to run, and type cmd, it askes me what program i want to open it with.. wtf?

Did someone try to reinstall Windows over the top of an existing installation?
This worked for Win98, but with Win2k it will overwrite your registry and cause the behavior you're describing.

not that im aware of, no... so its something with the resigistry? i really dont want to reformat the machine, as she has alota info on it... is there a way to fix it? anyone?

first try a test
Start > Programs > Select one and RClick > send shortcut to > desktop

the try it, if it works then just replace them if not
navigate to the C:\Program Files directory and try to launch an exe
if that fails, well

you need better advise
but stating to salvage data might be a good idea

was anyone messing with file permissions?

last thing she told me was that she was scanning with norton, and turned the comp off in the middle... although i dont think that was the problem. im going to try to do a repair, anyone else know what i could do?

Back