Help with VPN server/client - personal use

Milenko

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guys, need some help once again.

Heres my situation. I have 2 computers, a laptop and a desktop. I do a majority of my schoolwork on my desktop, but when I'm at the library I'd like to vpn into my desktop from my laptop to do some of the work when needed.

My desktop is behind a linksys router, and I've forwarded plenty of ports...1723, 500, 50-51, to the desktop computer, and I've set up a VPN connection thing on the desktop.

Now, I can connect through a VPN connection to the desktop, except I cannot do anything once I'm connected except browse the web. I can't access the desktop by computer name, I can't access the printer on the desktop, I can't do anything.

How come I cant browse anything? The desktops name is jbove, so when I drop a start, run, \\jbove, it just gives me the "can't be found etc" message.

Didn't work.

I can still browse the web through the VPN. cannot access network resources.

laptop is windows xp home, desktop is windows xp pro.

Another note.

from the laptop, i cannot ping the desktop, using the computer name OR ip.

and from the desktop, i cannot access the laptop using the \\laptop thing.

Milenko,

Make sure you have the VPN server setup to allow local network access. If you're using XP Pro, open up the TCP/IP properties of the "Incoming Connections" entry and check "allow callers to access my local area network".

Is the VPN server assigning your laptop an IP address is the same range as your home LAN when you connect?

Finally, are you sure you are able to browse the web through the VPN, or is it just feeding from your laptop's local internet connection?

BollWeevil said:
Milenko,

Make sure you have the VPN server setup to allow local network access. If you're using XP Pro, open up the TCP/IP properties of the "Incoming Connections" entry and check "allow callers to access my local area network".

Is the VPN server assigning your laptop an IP address is the same range as your home LAN when you connect?

Finally, are you sure you are able to browse the web through the VPN, or is it just feeding from your laptop's local internet connection?

1. Been checked since the beginning
2.Yes
3. Positive its going through the VPN. There is 0 network access across the VPN connection until I open a wesite, then it transfers via the VPN.

Try running the console commands

arp -a
route print

To get an idea if the remote server is in your arp cache and what the routing path is to it.

BollWeevil said:
Try running the console commands

arp -a
route print

To get an idea if the remote server is in your arp cache and what the routing path is to it.

Do I do this at a command prompt?

I've tried using some of my friends computers to connect to my desktop through the VPN and it's doing the same thing with all of them.

So I'm guessing I misconfigured something on the desktop (vpn server) or the router. Any suggestions?

Is the desktop PC Windows XP Pro?

If it is, it ma be easier to setup Remote Desktop and forward the ports 3388 to 3390 to the desktop PC?

just do Remote Desktop from the laptop, enter in the IP or URL that your Linksys router has on the Internet side and then you should connect.

-just make sure to have a good password on the desktop PC and/or change the default port for the Remote Desktop

dbwillis said:
Is the desktop PC Windows XP Pro?

If it is, it ma be easier to setup Remote Desktop and forward the ports 3388 to 3390 to the desktop PC?

just do Remote Desktop from the laptop, enter in the IP or URL that your Linksys router has on the Internet side and then you should connect.

-just make sure to have a good password on the desktop PC and/or change the default port for the Remote Desktop

I already have RDC working flawlessly. I'd rather be able to connect to the computer, open files on the local machine I'm working on and work on them and save them through the VPN tunnel to my desktop.

Can I possibly PM a VPN guru the login info and have them login and see whats up?

im sorry to get off topic. if you get frustrated and give up, try a program called SuperVNC. its free, you can xfer files, and take total control of your other machine.

t00thless said:
im sorry to get off topic. if you get frustrated and give up, try a program called SuperVNC. its free, you can xfer files, and take total control of your other machine.

Anyone else have any other suggestions for the VPN?

Back