Help with upgrading Gateway DX4200-09

With the RAM that you ordered, plus an SSD, it will run a heck of a lot better. New life!

Wow. I know that an SSD helps with boot up time but I had no idea it would help pages load up faster while browsing as well. I will definitely be picking one up. Thanks guys.

In fact I think I will pick one up for this laptop that I recently fixed as well. It's a Toshiba satelite c55d-a5120.

https://www.cnet.com/products/toshi...20-15-6-e2-3800-4-gb-ram-500-gb-hdd-us/specs/

I had upgraded the ram and did a clean install of Windows but it still seemed a bit sluggish while browsing. I thought that it was the CPU that was causing the bottleneck. Do you think upgrading to an SSD would help that one as well?

A cheap Phenom II X4 might be worth it. As long as it is cheap
That's what I was originally planning to do but wasn't sure which CPU would be compatible and the best to get. Found a Phenom II X4 3.0 GHz on eBay for like $20. Didn't know how much that would help performance and if it would be worth getting. That's why I came here. Are Phenom's better or Athlon's?

You're going to want to make sure that if you buy a chip, it's AM2+ compatible. If it's AM3 compatible, you're throwing the dice. And since you'd be buying used, you're potentially throwing away money,.

A cheap Phenom II X4 might be worth it. As long as it is cheap

That's what I was originally planning to do but wasn't sure which CPU would be compatible and the best to get. Found a Phenom II X4 3.0 GHz on eBay for like $20. Didn't know how much that would help performance and if it would be worth getting. That's why I came here. Are Phenom's better or Athlon's?

At that price, go for it. Good bump in clockspeed from 1.8Ghz

You're going to want to make sure that if you buy a chip, it's AM2+ compatible. If it's AM3 compatible, you're throwing the dice. And since you'd be buying used, you're potentially throwing away money,.
Scratch that. The 2.8 GHz and 3.0 GHz phenom ii x4 cpu's I found on eBay are both 125W. Which means they would make the CPU fan run like crazy. Not trying to have this thing sound like a jet engine.

Does anybody know if a Phenom II X4 910e will work in this thing? And would it even be worth upgrading to one? Or should I just upgrade the RAM and HDD and be done with it?

Honestly, for what it'd take to hunt down a part at this late a date, I don't know that it'd be worth it.

Honestly, for what it'd take to hunt down a part at this late a date, I don't know that it'd be worth it.
Yeah. I think you may be right. I actually did find them. But I don't know if it's worth the cost and if it'd be that much better than what's already in there. What do you guys think?

Athlon II X4 610e = $35

Phenom II X4 910e = $45

Back