Help with upgrading Gateway DX4200-09 cpu and video card.

455olds

Gawd
My budget for this is $200. It is my girlfriends computer and I want to upgrade it so her son can use it to play games. I want to meet requirements for current games so I would like to go for a quad core.
Here are the specs

Brand
Gateway
Series
DX Series
Model
DX4200-09
Type

Processor
AMD Phenom X4 9100e(1.8GHz)
Processor Main Features
64 bit Quad-Core Processor
Cache Per Processor
4 x 512KB L2 Cache
Memory
4GB DDR2 800
Hard Drive
640GB SATA II (7200RPM, 16MB Cache)
Optical Drive 1
18X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti Drive featuring Labelflash Technology
Graphics
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics, Up to 256MB of Shared Video Memory

Power Supply
300W

Operating System
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Motherboard
Chipset
AMD 780G

CPU
CPU Type
Phenom X4
Installed Qty
CPU Speed
9100e(1.8GHz)
L2 Cache Per CPU
4 x 512KB
CPU Socket Type
AM2+
CPU Main Features
64 bit Quad-Core Processor

I was thinking about this ati 7750 video card. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PowerColor-...973?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item19e672d9ed

Will this cpu work? Any advice on other cpu that would work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Phenom-...sor-/161172999108?pt=CPUs&hash=item2586a8cbc4

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You need to essentially upgrade your entire system. It's not worth preserving.

You could replace the key internals for around $200:

$75 - AMD Athlon X4 740 3.2GHz Socket FM2 65W quad-core processor
$50 - MSI FM2-A55M-E33 Socket FM2 micro ATX motherboard
$39 - G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
$40 - Corsair CX430 430 watt power supply
=====
$204 - Total before taxes

You'll end up with a much faster system and a better platform for future upgrades.

But which games are being played? At what resolution? And with how much eye candy?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As Tirarides said, you'll have to upgrade the entire system. That processor is first gen phenom - meaning AM2, and DDR2, which are outdated. Cheapest you'll get is replacing the MB, proc, and memory - and hoping for it to fit in the case. Even then, you'll be hurting without a graphics card, which would require a new PSU.

I'd personally recommend the A8 or A10 AMD APUs for lightweight gaming, but that'll only get you low to mediocre performance on games released in the past year.

I just want new games to be playable on low settings.we can build something better later if he takes a interest. Just want to build a starter system. He plays assassin's creed saints row 4, skyrim on Xbox 360 but he might want to play different games on the pc. I think it's a 18" display.
I won't be doing anything till after Christmas so keep me posted if you see any deals.

Will that cpu I picked (phenom 840t)work and is it a good match for a 7750? Any other cpu options? I think replacing motherboard is going to get out of my price range.

This is all the info I could find on the motherboard. Not sure if this helps." Gateway Acer Foxconn Bengal RS780 Motherboard "

4006272Rhttp://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Shared/4006272R/4006272Rsp2.shtml

"Supports AMD® Socket AM2+ (940 pin), AMD Phenom™ (95 W), Athlon™ 64 X2, Athlon 64, and Sempron™ processors"

Here is another cpu I am looking at (AMD Athlon II X4 640 3 GHz) http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Athlon-...ase-/271349520285?pt=CPUs&hash=item3f2db1179d

Even if the Athlon II X4 640 is a AM2/AM3 CPU; for less than 10$ more you could buy the CPU suggested by Tiraides and have a much better performance with the FM2 technology. The suggested build is a little above your 200$ budget but your money will buy something much better in the long run.

Also you will still be stuck with the outdated DDR2 RAM.

To answer your questions and not lead you down a path of internal rebuilds:

The replacement CPU may not work, as it's 95W. The current CPU in the computer is 65W. I don't know if the board will support 95W, and I wouldn't throw out half my budget to find out. You currently have a quad core in there, it's just a slower clock. While it is certainly a bottleneck, you need to get off onboard GFX if he really wants to game. Go with a GFX card (The one you linked will be okay), and a new power supply for sure (The $40 linked above should work fine). If you have spare money that you want to throw at a processor, then you could, but it's really shouldn't be a high priority with the budget you're sticking to. $100 towards a CPU and $70 towards a GFX card, should be reversed in this situation. Maybe something like this 9350E (http://www.ebay.com/itm/for-CPU-Phe...ORE-/331084390755?pt=CPUs&hash=item4d162ae163).

I'd stick with a new GFX card, maybe something in the $100-$150 range, and a new power supply for now ($50-$75 for something decent). If he really does enjoy gaming, then down the road you can drop another $200 on an upgrade to the motherboard/CPU/RAM.

Here's a 7770 for $110, plus it has a $15 rebate on it right now - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202023

And a 520W power supply for $65 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094 For only $5 more, you can step up to 620W.

This is all the info I could find on the motherboard. Not sure if this helps." Gateway Acer Foxconn Bengal RS780 Motherboard "

4006272Rhttp://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Shared/4006272R/4006272Rsp2.shtml

"Supports AMD® Socket AM2+ (940 pin), AMD Phenom™ (95 W), Athlon™ 64 X2, Athlon 64, and Sempron™ processors"

Here is another cpu I am looking at (AMD Athlon II X4 640 3 GHz) http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Athlon-...ase-/271349520285?pt=CPUs&hash=item3f2db1179d

That pretty much says that the motherboard won't support either the Phenom II X4 840T or the Athlon II X4 CPUs you have listed. The highest CPU that motherboard has a high chance of supportting is probably the Phenom X4 9750 which is only clocked 600Mhz higher than the current AMD Phenom X4 9100e. If you have to pay more than $20 for that particular Phenom CPU, you're getting ripped off as it's still a slow CPU even by the 2008 standards let alone 2013 standards.

Hell, I'm not 100% sure if the Phenom X4 9750 would work since it is a 95W TDP CPU whereas the Phenom X4 9100e is a 65W TDP CPU. Considering Gateway's track record, I wouldn't be surprise if they locked the motherboard to 65W TDP CPUs only.

As others have said, just replace the key internals. Far better bang for the buck and you're getting signficantly higher performance, performance that you're going to need for low settings. The games you've mentioned are still relatively resource heavy even at lower settings.

EDIT: Just saw Jeffman's most. $69 for a 200Mhz clock speed increase is a total and blatant waste of money. You won't notice enough of a difference to justify that $69.

It says it will support a 95 watt cpu.
"Processor Support Supports AMD® Socket AM2+ (940 pin), AMD Phenom™ (95 W), Athlon™ 64 X2, Athlon 64, and Sempron™ processors"http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Shared/4006272R/4006272Rsp2.shtml

I am not familiar with AMD cpu's or their compatibility. Is there a reason why it shouldn't work other than voltage?

I would like to get a quad cpu with at least 3ghz so it will play newer games. If the AMD Athlon II X4 640 or Phenom 840t will work then I can make my budget and play probably any game to date. I should be able to get away with a ati 7750 on the 300 watt cpu. It only draws 55 watts.

The build suggested by Tiraides is a lot better but leaves me without a video card.

If I go with the Jeffman build I won't have good enough of a cpu for newer games to be playable.

You will need a new power supply if you go with a GFX card that is any sort of upgrade. There's a 99% chance that the PSU that is in there from the factory is a pile of garbage, and overrated when they say 300W. I wouldn't risk running much over what was stock with that thing...

You will need a new power supply if you go with a GFX card that is any sort of upgrade. There's a 99% chance that the PSU that is in there from the factory is a pile of garbage, and overrated when they say 300W. I wouldn't risk running much over what was stock with that thing...

I am going to take a chance with it. I used a power supply calculator and it should be drawing about 250 watts with 7750 and a 95 watt cpu. The power supply is rated for 300 watt continuous. Worth a shot for this low budget setup.
I am more worried about the cpu not working. I did a lot of google searching and most threads about it people say it should work. One guy said he got a Phenom II X4 945 to work on same motherboard.

I pulled the trigger on the AMD Phenom II X4 840T and a powercolor 7750. Wish me luck

Guess you just didn't bother reading what Dangman posted? That Phenom II wont work in that motherboard, only first generation Phenom's will work.

Take a look at this link for compatible processors for that motherboard: here

Do note that it's a first generation Phenom listed, not the second generation Phenom II processors. That CPU will not work.

With that being said, the build that tiraides spec'd for you that's within reach of your $200 budget is faster than what you're trying to do. It's an APU setup with one of the best integrated graphics solutions on the market today. It will be faster than anything you try to throw at that dated system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess you just didn't bother reading what Dangman posted? That Phenom II wont work in that motherboard, only first generation Phenom's will work.

Take a look at this link for compatible processors for that motherboard: here

Do note that it's a first generation Phenom listed, not the second generation Phenom II processors. That CPU will not work.

With that being said, the build that tiraides spec'd for you that's within reach of your $200 budget is faster than what you're trying to do. It's an APU setup with one of the best integrated graphics solutions on the market today. It will be faster than anything you try to throw at that dated system.
Thanks I'll see if I can cancel the cpu order. If not I will have to pick up a used motherboard.
I am out of touch with new amd hardware. Integrated graphics is faster than a 7750? Going to research this. I never would have thought integrated came that far that quick,would have went with his build if I knew.

Actually I was wrong, the 740 Trinity doesn't have onboard GPU like the other Trinity CPUs do. However, the 7750 is faster than the other Trinity's onboard GPUs, but that's only with a CPU capable of handling it. Something that your current plans of CPUs most likely will not.

Good, now go with tiraides setup only go with this processor. I know it's $25 more, but it's worth it since it has onboard graphics.

$98.99 AMD A8-5500 Trinity 3.2GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 65W Quad-Core Desktop

On a site that I wont mention here, the A8-5600K APU (Very similar to the processor I recommended) @ 1680x1050 got the follow FPS numbers:

Skyrim: 25.08
WoW: 51.62

While the 7750 on a much faster CPU (6 core i7 Sandy Bridge 3960k processor) got the following FPS in games @ 1680x1050.

Skyrim: 31.32
WoW: 37.44

While this isn't a direct comparison since the 7750's setup had higher details turned on most of the time, the fact remains that the APU is still very much playable while being considerably cheaper and a better platform to upgrade from should this boy show more interest in PC gaming.

And before you ask, yes, spend the extra money on Skillz' recommendation.

If you spend the money now and do it right the first time, you won't have to spend more money to do it again.

Ok,just a matter of when I order the stuff. I was able to cancel the video card too.

Damn, I didn't even see that it was only a $1 more. It's well worth paying the extra 1$ for the faster CPU for sure.

Additionally, do not skimp out on the PSU. Please.

I am trying to cancel but its not looking good. the order is already in packaging stage and no option for cancel. I tried calling but not open yet,can't get through on chat either.

I am tempted to hold off on power supply in till I get a video card. This setup should use the same power and it will give me time to find a hot deal on at least a 500 watt power supply.
I made my budget without power supply. Total so far is about $183.00

Well even if you can't cancel that CPU, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Sure it's a little faster, but even the one you've ordered already is a lot faster than what you currently have.

As for waiting for a 500W PSU, you'll never need a 500W PSU so no need to worry about saving and/or waiting for one to go on sale.

Our concerns with the PSU in that Gateway isn't just because of it's lack of power output, but because it's a shitty PSU all around. I'd hate for you to have spent money on his new rig only to have that PSU suddenly go out taking something with it, such as the motherboard.

They let me cancel and change the order. He might end up with my gtx 670 eventually or a used high end card if i find a deal so I would like to go with at least 500 watt. I'll see what i can find. It would be better to do it now while I have it apart already.

You don't have to wait:
$61 - XFX Core Edition PRO550W 550W PSU

You don't have to wait:
$61 - XFX Core Edition PRO550W 550W PSU

Thanks, I ordered it. I'll post back when I get it together. Hope he uses it when I am done. He's got a free sim city voucher that came with the cpu.

I missed something... what have you ordered so far (in addition to the PSU)?

The motherboard,ram and cpu came in already. Here is the final list of parts I bought.
$42.99 MSI FM2-A55M-E33 FM2 AMD A55 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130661

$40.99 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231718

$99.99 AMD A8-5600K Trinity 3.6GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7560D http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113281

$65.07 XFX Core Edition PRO550W 550W PSU http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RJ8EKI/?tag=hardfocom-20

Total Including tax was $249.04
11519812266_a0c08458a3_z.jpg
[/url]
20131223_151006 by 455olds, on Flickr[/IMG]

Nice, goodluck with the build. Hopefully you'll have no trouble with the gateway case which should be the next thing you upgrade. No worries, ~$50 for a descent case if you don't want to spend too much on it.

Coming along,everything fit perfect. If power supply was any longer it would not have fit without grinding a tab off case. Installing windows 7 now.
I have a aftermarket 360 wireless controller adapter I am going to try to get working. I bought him a steam code for Tomb Raider also.
11555892765_0855c80110_z.jpg
[/url]
20131225_175214 by 455olds, on Flickr[/IMG]

Back