Help with undervolt in 1080ti

• So I've owned my Gigabyte Xtreme 1080ti for like 2 weeks now and have some questions. I have moved the power, voltage and temp slider to max and did some tests for clock speed and temps, it wants to boost right to 2038mhz and starts out at 1.062v until it hits 40c, then goes up to 1.075v then at 45c goes up to 1.082v then at 50c to 1.093v and that's where it stays at, even at 1 hour of benching max temps are 58c, it never downclocks and stays at a steady 2038mhz @ 1.093v. I then try to manually overclock by adding to the core offset which the next speed is an even 2050mhz and it goes to the 1.093v but crashes usually within 10-15 minutes and my max temps are only upper 50's, so I know and accept that my card just can't go that high, so onto my questions

• (1) I thought GPU Boost 3.0 was suppose to lower the voltage if stable? Then why is it adding more voltage as the temps go up? Seems like that's the opposite of what I thought it should do

• (2) I want to try to get the lowest voltage for the 2038mhz that I can so I went into MSI voltage curve and moved the slider for 1.062v to be the first voltage for 2038mhz and hit apply, now I play a game or bench and it still wants to step up the voltage like before and completely ignores what I set it for. Can anyone help me?

As temps rise, generally you need more voltage to keep things stable. I noticed that when i was running a watercooled CPU and then moved to Phase Change. I required a lot less voltage at certain clocks speeed because the CPU was running so cool.

Since when did the addition of heat not in turn cause more resistance, which in turn causes more voltage drop requiring more voltage to maintain whatever your goal was?

Back