Help with this old school 1.6 Northwood CPU

Chelica

2[H]4U
Hey guys,

I need some advice. I have an Intel P4 1.6A Northwood CPU. It seems as if the motherboard died on me. The unit will hang even when in BIOS. I tried running it barebone but nothing, freezes in BIOS and even when I get to desktop it will freeze up on me instantly. I am thinking that it is the motherboard.

Now, do you guys know what is a good and stable motherboard that is not going to cost me an arm and a leg? I just need it to get this unit up and running. The unit was running PC133 memory. I don't mind upgrading to a stick of 512MB of DDR if the motherboard requires DDR memory. Once again, something budget friendly.

Any help is appreciated.

If it is the motherboard that needs replacing i assume you will want something pretty cheap. As it's not worth throwing alot of money at a processor like that. I have used a couple of these before without out any problems. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138262R
They are a real basic board without any overclocking options and special features. But other then being a basic board they work ok.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Not trying to drop tons of cash into something that is pretty ancient. Just need it up and running.

That looks like a decent motherboard. Thanks!

Back