Help with spyware

The Hunter

Limp Gawd
I routinely do sweeps of my computers with AdAware and Spybot S&D. I did one today, and on all 3 of my desktops (W2K SP2, fully updated through Windows Update except for SP4) Spybot shows an entry for "DSO exploit." It says "Data source object exploit" and gives a registry location when I expand the listing. The description is
There's a security hole in IE allowing websites to execute code without asking you first. You can find more information at http://security.greymagic.com/adv/gm001-ie/

I have it fix the problem, but when I do a scan again (without having done anything else) it shows back up. How can I remove this? My IE is fully patched, so do I have to worry about anything?

Thanks for your help.

The Hunter said:
I routinely do sweeps of my computers with AdAware and Spybot S&D. I did one today, and on all 3 of my desktops (W2K SP2, fully updated through Windows Update except for SP4) Spybot shows an entry for "DSO exploit." It says "Data source object exploit" and gives a registry location when I expand the listing. The description is

I have it fix the problem, but when I do a scan again (without having done anything else) it shows back up. How can I remove this? My IE is fully patched, so do I have to worry about anything?

Thanks for your help.

If you are fully patched you should be ok. It just has to do with active x controls and stuff but spybot does not right them to the harddrive which is why they are back. It is going to be fixed in a spybot update.

as kjm2003 & Bio Hazord pointed out that exploit should have been addressed in a quite old patch

but if for some reason it got missed
you can install DSOStop2 (Freeware)
its done no harm in any machine Ive ever run

Back