Help with s754 processor

Nexweb

n00b
Im looking for a good s754 that gives the best bang for the buck. There are two at newegg that are within my price range. The first one is the A64 3000+ venice. Second one is A64 3000+ (DTR) clawhammer. I know that the venice will be easier to oc, but the clawhammer has 1mb L2. Another thing is I was reading that I would have to mod the heatsink somehow. I have the Zalman 7000b, so how hard would it be to fit that?

Webster

I'd personally go for the Venice one. Improved memory controller (but the DTR CH's should be AR revisions) and cooler running. The venice is 200mhz faster out of the box to make up for the 512k of extra CH cache.

Truth be told, I dunno. I'm not an overclocker, I just want the most stable, cooler running chip.

If I were buying one, I'd go for the Venice core. The Zalman cnps-7000 is compatible. A quick search of this forum yields: resident 754 knowitall eclipse's experiences :)

Venice - most definitely. I got one and it is sweet. All things being equal it will out oc a Clawhammer by a wide margin if you have a good mobo.

Back