Help with Rotary tool, P180 cutting

Vlad_13

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guys, I'm planning to build my second build and I need your help. I recently ordered Antec P180 case and I'm going to put water cooling in it, I want to cut the hole for 2 120mm fans or radiator.

Thing is P180 is made with 2 component, walls are made of 0.8 mm steel and 2.5 mm plastic

Here is the picture and work I done so far.

I do have a Craftsman rotary tool
http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img10931lw.jpg (bought it on eBay for only 30$ if you want, PM me I can give you the seller, he sells them everyday)

I do have cutting wheels, here are the pics...

Also I have Tungsten Carbide Cutter, I tried to cut with it but it doesnt realy cuts the metal...

So far I'm taking off the plastic with regular bit and it works out great :) after I will remove the plastic I will need to cut the metal. Since I don’t know which cutting wheel to use I would need your advice on that.

If any one had experience with rotary tool, pls reply.

Thnx for your help.

(my english is not that good, hope its not a problem)

img10863kb.jpg

That help? :D

stryder2720 said:
img10863kb.jpg

That help? :D

DITTO!!
Using the reinforced cutting disc and going about 1/2 an inch to an inch at a time will give you a nice rounded hole.

It will take longer than using a holesaw but you won't have to buy any extra equipment.

Perhaps its just me, but i dont like using those reinforced cutters. I am partial to the thin cutting disks. They wear down quicker, but always seem to give me a better cut.

Detman101 said:
DITTO!!
Using the reinforced cutting disc and going about 1/2 an inch to an inch at a time will give you a nice rounded hole.

It will take longer than using a holesaw but you won't have to buy any extra equipment.
So wait, just cut straigh lines that are 1/2 an inch long into a hole shape? Like a stop sign?

Actualy guys I'm cutting a 2 square shaped 120 mm size hole instead of circle ones some one mintioned here.

And thank you all for your help :)

ValeX said:
Okay, i must be missing something with this whole dremel thing. How in the hell did you get that cut so straight in your first pick? No way your hand can just be "that steady".I try to cut a 5cm line and I freaking mess it up to the point it's going in the garbage. Anyone got some tips? Some kind of a guide maybe? (not a book, i mean like a hand rest that makes you cut in a straight line type of guide).

ValeX -- Hellppp.

You are probably thinking I cut plastic and the metal, no. It’s only plastic which I used regular drilling bit and its half way done. And why do I have such precise line, if you look in to my craftsman rotary tool kit, you will notice a guide to the right, that's what I used ;)

One more question, people that own P180 or made a window in the case, how did you cut the wall for the window, it seems it made with 3 components....Aluminum>Plastic>Aluminum...

How would you cut the hole in that? :confused:

Vlad_13 said:
One more question, people that own P180 or made a window in the case, how did you cut the wall for the window, it seems it made with 3 components....Aluminum>Plastic>Aluminum...

How would you cut the hole in that? :confused:

I cut a window in mine using a jigsaw, which worked very well. Get a fine tooth bit for it so you wind up with a cleaner cut. Drill a hole somewhere in the section you will be disposing of to start your jigsaw with.

FWIW, I borked mine by cutting around the outside of the square you can see from the inside of the panel (the reinforced part). The only problem with this is if you want to put the plexi inside of the case. I did not measure correctly (ugh) and the plexi easily interferes with putting the panel on the case. Leave a little room on the back end of the panel so that you can slide the panel on correctly. It might even be desireable to put the window on the outside of the case...

Oh, and when cutting the plastic, have a jigsaw or something else that will cut at a low speed. That shit melts and sticks back together (or cracks) if you cut it at high speed.

Comb

Back