Help with randomly restarting system

NeoFlame

n00b
I recently built an AMD 64 system and i have a soyo CK8 dragon mobo in it ... and it will only stay stable for about 10-12 minutes before it restarts .. a friend of mine believes that the problem is my cpu fan is not working well enough .. the manufac. says it should support it but it is just a simple generic fan... should i spend the money to buy a nicer brand name thermaltake fan? ... or could it be some other problem for why it is restarting and not the CPU overheating?

check your cpu temp in your bios also install mbm5 to check your power readings and post your readings, then move to the next step and install memtest and run it.

this is the basic start for system troublshooting.

If you're using XP, the first thing to do is turn off automatic restarts...

System Properties (Win+Break)
Advanced
Startup & Recovery, hit Settings button
System Failure
Uncheck "Automatically Restart"

Now, next time it goes to do this, you should get a BSOD.

If it's hardware related (insufficiant power, memory problem, overheating, imminent head failure, etc etc) then you can start hunting that down next.

Stock cooling is more than adequate at stock speeds.

MBM5 is rather useful regardless, so you might want to give it a spin even aside from the current issue.

Hey thanks for the system failure suggestion imtrying it right now ... as for my CPU temp it was running hot so i bought a new CPU fan ... a thermal take one and im running it at full speed (5800rpm)and my CPU is not overclocked ... but my HW monitor still shows my cpu temp to be aywhere from 55 - 60 which it showed before i got this fan .. could this be an error in the mobo showing an improper readout?

did you apply thermal paste to your cpu fan heatsink?

also check your temps in the bios

i personally prefer everest for temps 'cause it has a lot more things that just temps and voltages, but that's just me.

it does sound somewhat like an overheating problem.. either from the cpu or the powersupply.
can we have more system specs?
i'd like to know:
cpu model
video card
power supply
which thermaltake heatsink you have

also, when you install heatsinks, make sure you clean the cpu and heatsink surface thoroughly, and use thermal paste. apply it according to these instructions (unless you have ceramique, but i don't think you do cause you would have mentioned it)

I followed Ash's advice and unchecked the auto-restart box and got a BSOD that read:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
and
STOP: 0X00000001 (0XB94EA71C, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0XB94EA71C)

Yes i did apply thermal compound to the cpu...

spec are:
AMD 64 2800+
Soyo CK8 Dragon (1600 Mhz FSB)
512 MB Ram
Gigabyte Geforce FX 5700 256 MB vid card

if ya need anything else let me know .... this is really starting to puzzle me

Windows XP Resource Kit said:
Stop 0x000000D1 or DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The Stop 0xD1 message indicates that the system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. Drivers that have used improper addresses typically cause this error.
Interpreting the Message

This Stop message has four parameters:

1. Memory referenced.
2. IRQL at time of reference.
3. Type of access (0x00000000 = read operation, 0x00000001 = write operation).
4. Address that referenced memory.

Resolving the Problem

Stop 0xD1 messages can occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. If a driver is listed by name, disable, remove, or roll back that driver to confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, DVD playback, and CD mastering tools.

Stop Message Checklist

MSKB article on the topic.

It's probably a messed up driver, check if it's referencing a specific one on the BSOD. It could also be flaky memory, try memtest if you can't find anything else. Another thing that can cause this is if your install CD is borked, alot of drivers are copied off of that and if the copies are bad, shit happens.

Soyo and Gigabyte are both generally substandard, try to avoid using their components unless you have a good reason not to.

Maybe its bad memory. My comp was restarting and crap and it turned out to be bad memory. I got that warning too, I reinstalled windows and everything too. If only I knew about the memory thing.

you forgot the power supply. it's a crucial component in stability.

also, to check the ram, use memtest
if that gives no errors, try prime95 torture test.

If it'd been losing power spontaneously, it'd probably be power related.

It's not, it's a BSOD that was causing automatic reboot to kick in, so it's very unlikely to be power related.

OK i did replace y PSU and thats not the problem i have run memtest before and it didnt give me any errors i just ran prime95 and it gave me the error....
FATAL ERROR: Resulting sum was 1.168839142039552e+016, expected: 1.06603248761662e+016 hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt

You could have some damaged hardware then, ESD or whatever. Do you have enough spares around to isolate which piece causes the errors? For starters if the thing has more than one memory stick, try it with each one independantly and see if one is bad.

Since you're running Prime95 from within Windows, it's still quite possible you have a software issue. No matter how good the hardware is, if the software tell it to do something silly, it's not going to work properly.

when i run prime 95 my cpu temp jumps straight to 60 degrees ... is there another way i can lower my CPU temp? ... that may be the problem

I have also formatted windows and i have reaplce this stick before now ... i dont really have any spare to isolate the problem with but i might buy some

wow.. that's pretty hot. i'd try remounting the heatsink to get those temps down... again, follow these instructions. if you have thermal paste that's.. actually paste, that'll get your temps the lowest. just be sure to clean off both surfaces as well as you can before you put anything on.

and just out of curiosity, what thermal paste did you use?

NeoFlame said:
I have also formatted windows and i have reaplce this stick before now ... i dont really have any spare to isolate the problem with but i might buy some

Try to avoid spending money on hardware unless you know it's the specific piece at fault. Or unless you're just using it as an excuse for an upgrade...*cough*...wouldn't know anything about that... :D

Just because you reinstalled Windows, doesn't mean it's working right. If your disk is damaged it WILL cause a driver stop crash. You could also easily have caused ESD damage to the memory when handling it, doesn't matter if it's brand new.

60 celsius is pretty damn high. I usually use rubbing alcohol to clean things. Like Eclipse said it's mostly curiosity which paste you used, as while you'll get significant differences with the better ones, ANY should be good enough if at stock.

I have also replaced my HD lol so i dont think thats the problem as for excuse for upgrading * cough * lol i know what you mean...

what thermal paste should i use .. i use the stock that came with the thermaltake Fan/heatsink i got ... before i remount i will order some that is better ... and clean off CPU and H.S. .... when i put o paste should it pretty fairly thick or should it be as thin as possible ive always heard a thin even layer is best ..anyway gimme some bran ideas and ill prob order some anyway cause ill do anything to get the temp of this thing back down into the 40-43range

Thin, but read the instructions Eclipse linked you to. It's just supposed to interface the CPU with the heatsink.

Arctic Silver is pretty much the gold standard here. I tend to prefer ceramic vs. metalic grease type goop but most people will knee-jerk to AS5. Can't say as I blame them, the stuff is good.

Generic goop vs. AS5 - properly applied - will still only show maybe a few degrees difference in most cases. If you clean & reapply any old stuff you have sitting around CORRECTLY it'll do you more good than which brand the goop is.

The stock goop/heatsink should work just fine if you're running the system at stock speeds (which you should be since you're in troubleshooting mode). I almost always replace the stock heatsink - but over noise levels, not cooling.

NeoFlame said:
when i put o paste should it pretty fairly thick or should it be as thin as possible ive always heard a thin even layer is best ..
no, any layer is BAD. do NOT spread it into a layer. read the directions i linked to. it says use a small drop in the center, then place the heatsink ontop.

Back