Help with Q6600 on a GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R

greenman

Gawd
I'm trying to OC my Q6600 to 3.2, but I doubt I'll be able to hit 3.0 with my high temps.. (system specs are in my sig)

Using my aftermarket Scythe Ninja Plus cooler and a 180 fan blowing on it from one side, and another 180 fan taking the bad air out of the case from the other side.

Temps on stock are about..
Idle - 28C-36C depending on the room temperature
Load - after 30 minutes of OCCT, the very highest point was 59C.

As far as the actual overclocking goes.. I've tried this (for 3.2):
CPU Host Freq: 400
CPU Clock Ratio: 8X
PCI Express Freq: 100
C.I.A.2 - Disabled
System Memory Multiplyer - 2.0
High Speed DRAM DLL Setting: Option1
Performance Enhance: Standard
Voltage: Manual, all at normal.
CPU Voltage Control: 1.27500V

It works until Windows loads, then it just freezes. I can move the mouse around, but everything is frozen.
What could I try now? Up the CPU Voltage? I tried that, going up to 1.30000V, windows works fine, but the temps are too high. 68C on load, if I remember correctly.

Also, I have no clue about increasing voltages for FSB & MCH. Why would you, and how would you know when it is too much or not enough? Same for CPU voltage, how do you know when it's too much? I know if it's not enough, the computer just won't get to POST. Which I've encountered a number of time, but too much would only mean more heat?

Try setting the host freq. to 355 and change the multiplier to 9.0, this might help to. I cant answer much about the voltages yet, ive been an amd guy and just switched over yesterday, i popped my 6600 in yesterday and it instantly worked at 3ghz, it works at 3.2 also i just figured i wont try to push it to much on the stock cooler yet.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1198647

Nope, same thing. Either the CPU voltage is not stable and system crashes, or it's just too much and gives a lot of heat. (idle 40-45 in windows without anything running)

I'm trying 333x9 now, at 1.28500V (my CPU normal voltage). And so far it's stable. about 67C load though. (the highest it got so far) Average load would be about 63, with Prime95 running.

*edit
18 minutes in, I turned Prime95 off after the temps kept rising up to 71C. I don't wanna risk it.

Maybe I should just buy a new CPU cooler, that may fix all my problems..

Yea, twice.

It's very cool to the touch too, so I can't really say the CPU cooler isn't doing it's job well, just that this quad is running hot, somehow.

And the surface of the processesor and cooler are both completely fine, so no need for lapping.. and I even used Arctic Silver 5, but heh. Running at 40C currently, with just Maxthon open. 3.0Ghz.
So idle 40, and load 71. :mad:

Any suggestions?

open the case door? is it clean of dust? is the heatsink able to move a good deal? my temps with the stock cooler are about 35 idle and 60 while prime95 heats up all 4 cores so i think the scythe should be doing much better

also use coretemp to report the temps, ive found this to be very accurate

Open case - same temp, if not hotter since I have a fan in front bringing in cool air, a fan in the middle blowing on the ninja, and on the other side of the ninja a fan taking out the bad ait out of the system. And the power supply fan on top of the ninja, but that probably doesn't change anything. All fans are 120.
Dust - no, new system.
Heatsink solid in place.

The whole case is pretty cool itself. I've got 2 HDDs at 28-29C. 8800GTS 512 at 52C @ stock. And two motherboard temps (forget which temps are for what) 29C, and 45C.

Well, right now @ 3.0GHz, idle for the 4 cores are 40, 38, 36, 36. So I guess your stock cooler beats the ninja.:rolleyes:

Yea, twice.

It's very cool to the touch too, so I can't really say the CPU cooler isn't doing it's job well, just that this quad is running hot, somehow.

And the surface of the processesor and cooler are both completely fine, so no need for lapping.. and I even used Arctic Silver 5, but heh. Running at 40C currently, with just Maxthon open. 3.0Ghz.
So idle 40, and load 71. :mad:

Any suggestions?

If the CPU is running that hot and the heatsink is cool to the touch, then something is wrong with either the heatspreader on the CPU, the base of the heatsink, the mounting job or the thermal goop job.

I think I'm on to something..
I just realized that the bottom 3 heatpipes are warm, where are the other 3 sides of the ninja are cool.
This may be why my 4 core temps are a bit off from each other - as seen below in the screenshot.

First thing tomorrow, I'll reposition the fan and run some tests. I'll post my findings once I get them.

Here's a screenshot after running OCCT, with my CPU at 3.0GHz:
33294829vi5.jpg

I have a similar setup to yours, and I had to increase the voltage to 1.35 or so. I know I have the multi set at 9 and my FSB at 367. I have the DDR-2 version of that motherboard. My idles temps are 35 to 37. If I run prime 95 they will get to 71 and then drop back down to 67. If it hits 71 thats fine as long as it does not stay at that temp, mine will peak at 71 then drop down 69 to 67 in 15 seconds or so. I am watercooling the cpu. You might find this also, I had to increase the voltage because when you leave prime to run over night, I will always had the 4th core fail after 4 hours. I will check my board setting when I get home and try to help you out.

P.S. Find the voltage for your memory and set that up, for example my memory is rated for 2.1 volts and I set it up for 2.0. Once you have your system, 100% stable then decrease your voltage one tab do all test if stable repeat the process.

Somehow, I can't get past POST now!

I took the fan out and adjusted it a little bit lower, plug it back and and turn on the power supply... and the system doesn't get past POST. It's just stuck there with all fans running at full speed and nothing on the monitor. Everything works, it's just that the system is stuck, I can't turn off unless I turn off the power supply or unplug it. I took out the battery to clear CMOS, same thing. Took out the video card and ram, put them back in, same. Took out the 2 HDDs and the system turns on for half a second, then 4 seconds later does the same, and on and on. I connect the 2 HDDs, and it's back to it being stuck.

I didn't do anything but take my fan out very carefully not touching anything else.
My BIOS settings were 333x9 with 1.28500V (normal voltage) for the CPU.

HELP! :(

I guess now is the time to reseat the cooler. I'll seat it in a diferent direction now. But wow, now I wish I would have just left the clock at 2.4..

*edit
It's not the video card, for sure. I know that much.
Reseated CPU cooler. Still stuck. :(

Hi there,

im running a q6600 at 400x8 for 3.2Ghz using the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 cooler I hit 59° when all 4 cores run at 100%, when gaming it hits an avg of about 52°

Voltage is 1.375 and stable, would think that your cooler isnt seated properly somehow..

Well I reseated the CPU & CPU cooler. But I still have that problem where it doesn't get to POST.

I took everything off except Video Card, RAM, and speaker. And I get the same thing as when I disconnect my HDDs - the computer turns on for about a second if not less, then turns off and 4 seconds later, again. Doesn't stop until I turn off the power supply or pull the power cord.

Any ideas?

reset the cmos and remove battery for 10minutes. install battery then boot to bios, load default settings and trying booting with no OC then report how she goes.

Wow! It worked! I've tried this already, but it didn't work the first time around.

Tried that in a last atempt, and what do you know... it worked! :eek:
Thank you!! :D

Now I'm not sure if I want to continue trying to OC though.. :p
I reseated my CPU and CPU Cooler, and my temps are even worse now. About 35C idle. Ahhh...

But, how do I find the right CPU voltage? Because my normal voltage (1.28500V) worked with 3.0GHz. It was completely stable until I restarted, then it had some hard time starting - but worked fine in Windows.. Weird.

I have the same board and proccesor and would consider 35c idle pretty darn good mine idles @38 2 40 on all four cores clocked @3.6 running 1.475 volts

Oh, but I meant idle 35C on stock 2.4Ghz.

Should I try lapping the CPU cooler and processor? Or maybe just the Cooler if it's dangerous to lap the CPU?

Maybe it's time you got yourself a different cooler. You apparently beat that one to death trying to get it to work for you and, simply put, it doesn't. If a different(better) cooler doesn't solve the heat problem then I'd say the IHS is making poor contact with the cores, RMA the chip.

What cooler would you recommend for my setup? Room is no problem for my tower case, so it's the performance and cost. And like I said I have a fan above the RAM blowing at the CPU Cooler, and another fan on the opposite side taking the bad air out of the case, so if something will work with this setup, I think I will get some good results.

Wow that's a good deal on the Ultra-90.. I'll order it once I get back from work. I might need to get a better fan for it, but I guess I'll just see what my case fan does for it.

Alright, I'm down to 2 choices:
a. Zalman CNPS7700-cu - for about $50
b. Thermalright Ultima-90 - for about $44

Can't really find a way to compare the two in performance. Unless google just didn't crawl some sites..

Nope, it's not. I guess it's not good enough compared to all the others on there? :confused:

Yup, looks like it.

Think my Scythe fan from the Ninja will be enough?

Dimensions: 120 x 120 x 25mm
Noise Level: 20.94dBA
Air Flow: 49.58 CFM
Speed: 1,200rpm (±10%)
Bearing Type: Sleeve Bearing

Yeah that should do the trick.
I've tried fans ranging from 40 CFM to 110 CFM on my TRUE and my core temps don't change at all.

Cool, alright, ordered the Ultima-90.

Thanks for all your help guys, I'm hoping the Ultima-90 will work properly and therefore solve my OC'ing problems.

I got my Ultima-90.
Bad news. It's running 37C idle at stock 2.4GHz.

I guess it's just my quad that's so hot.. I could try lapping it I guess.. what do you guys think?

Also, my computer has trouble starting up ever since I tried to OC. When I press the power button it turns on for a second then dies. And does that again. Then 3rd time it either loads fine or doesn't get past POST and I hear a long beep. It's on fail-safe setting with all the settings on default stock. It's fine on restarts, but it takes a few tried after shut down. I've also had the computer turn off on me suddenly a couple of times. (for no reason)
Any ideas?

Is it rebooting twice after you try to OC? That's a sign your OC is wrong. Reset the CMOS and try again. Make sure to lock your PCI freq at 100.

What OC settings?
37C idle in CoreTemp (each core)? My Q6600 was doing 37C in CoreTemp before I got my air conditioning fixed.
:(

I noticed in your sig it says 6x400 ... did you lower your multiplier to 6 or did you not turn off SpeedStep? If you did lower it to 6, why? If you didn't set it to 6, and you're seeing 6x400 in CPUz it's because speedstep is enabled, which means you're trying to boot your system at 9x400 = 3.6Ghz WAY undervolted, which would explain why it won't post and keeps cycling power twice before it reverts back to stock speed.

Post some pics of your bios, CPUz for each tab and CoreTemp.

I noticed in your sig it says 6x400 ... did you lower your multiplier to 6 or did you not turn off SpeedStep? If you did lower it to 6, why? If you didn't set it to 6, and you're seeing 6x400 in CPUz it's because speedstep is enabled, which means you're trying to boot your system at 9x400 = 3.6Ghz WAY undervolted, which would explain why it won't post and keeps cycling power twice before it reverts back to stock speed.

Post some pics of your bios, CPUz for each tab and CoreTemp.
What?
Are you talking to me? I think you're looking at the wrong person's sig.
:p

I got my Ultima-90.
Bad news. It's running 37C idle at stock 2.4GHz.

I guess it's just my quad that's so hot.. I could try lapping it I guess.. what do you guys think?

Also, my computer has trouble starting up ever since I tried to OC. When I press the power button it turns on for a second then dies. And does that again. Then 3rd time it either loads fine or doesn't get past POST and I hear a long beep. It's on fail-safe setting with all the settings on default stock. It's fine on restarts, but it takes a few tried after shut down. I've also had the computer turn off on me suddenly a couple of times. (for no reason)
Any ideas?

Lap the heatsink and see what happens after that. I'm betting your temps will drop a good bit. My Ultima90 had a flat base when I got it but my TRUE was horribly convex which caused my temps to go sky high. Some of the Ultima90s may have the same problem.

Even worse news. I decided to see if another fan would lower the temps, and before I could try it, my computer shuts down on me. I turn it on, 1 second, and it turns off. Again. (note tht I'm running all BIOS setting on default, no OCing or settings changes.) So then it gets in that same loop again where the lights are on, fans spin, but no one home and no POST.

After clearing the CMOS at least 4 times (clr_cmos jumper and battery, both waited at least 10 minutes each time), it finally cleared. But.. same thing with the 1 second runs, but then it got to POST screen, and froze. Reset and on/off buttons work, so I do that, and every time it freezes. Then I get lucky and it doesn't freeze. Windows loads.. for 8 minutes it loads. CPU usage is constantly above 22%, and everything is slow. As if I have a trojan or a task chomping up all the CPU. And all the processes are normal. I am 100% sure. I however don't remember seeing a processes called "System Idle Process". Which under CPU I have it at 97 on average. And Mem Usage is only 28k.
I restarted a few times and got lucky most of the times, and half of the time Windows works a little better, it all works fine but it's as if a torture test is always running in the background.
Oh and my temps are a few degrees higher because of the constant CPU usage.

At one time, a time when windows wasen't AS bad as it can be, I was surfing the web and playing a video. In the middle of this the screen goes light blue. Not the windows light blue but very similar. I could still hear the aduio and move the windows around but I couldn't see a thing. So I restarted, haven't got that again.. yet.

I figured I got a virus or trojan or something, so I ran the HDD on another computer and it runs perfectly normal!

Is this my motherboard going crazy or what?
Is it a good idea to clear CMOS again?

@ SmokeRngs -
I'm basically getting the same temps with the Ultima-90 as I did with my Scythe Ninja. So I think it would be more reasonable to lap the CPU instead. How dangerous is it to do this? I really can't afford to spend more money on this system. It cost me well over a thouand and now it's giving me all these problems.. argh.

*edit
Right now, I overclocked to 9x333 and set the CPU voltage to 1.3. (my "normal" is 1.28700V)
Seems to be working ok besides that I freeze on POST most of the time (no 1 second booting problem though) and 20%+ usage of my CPU isn't from me or the system, it's just there, and it tortures not only the CPU but me also randomly whatever I do takes minutes when it should under a second.

10210680wv2.jpg

Just something that i noticed. My board reports the "normal" setting for vcore as 1.2, and this is what i have it set to now with my overclock. I noticed you said yours is 1.28 or something close. I found that to be a little odd, but im still learning Intel systems. Have u tried to reseat the cpu itself? When i put my current rig together at one point i wasnt getting any video so i took everything out and started again. It fixed my problem and i still dont know exactly where the problem came from.

Yes, I tried reseating the CPU.

And now my computer shut off after I tried to open a small program. (too much tension for it I guess)
And I said the 1 second ons are gone, no they are not. This time only once though.

I'll try to clear cmos again, but this is just weird.. does anyone have any ideas?

Back