Help with Powerconnect 2724 & LAG

Hi guys, Currently i have 2 servers each with a dual port Intel PT nics and i wanted to do teaming. Intel suggested that I should go for 802.3ad dynamic link aggregation.
But I cant find any detail documentation on the dell switch on what LAG protocols it supports.
Help is much appreciated ;)

Looks like your 2724 only supports static LAG trunks, not LACP.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-switches/f/866/p/19169209/19297716.aspx

According to the post you will have to config the switch as well as the NICs for static 802.3ad

If you want to do LACP on the cheap you can look into a used ProCurve or Foundry switch, we have a few used 2848s and FGS648Ps that we use here with LACP trunks and they work great.
Does it mean the Dell PowerConnect 2800 series switch (i.e. 2848 and 2824) can support LACP? Does the HP Procurve 1810 also can support LACP?

Does it mean the Dell PowerConnect 2800 series switch (i.e. 2848 and 2824) can support LACP? Does the HP Procurve 1810 also can support LACP?

The Dell Powerconnect 28xx series support static only, however the HP Procurve 1810G (both 8 and 24) support LACP

How about the performance difference between static LAG and LACP?

None that I have personally noticed. My Dell 5324s support both, and I have used both, but couldn't see any difference between the two. LACP seems to be better in a failover situation but that's just my opinion.

so basically am i right to say that
dell 28xx is the newer model of 27xx
procurve 1810g is the newer model of 1800
they have almost simmilar in functions n specs?

so basically am i right to say that
dell 28xx is the newer model of 27xx
procurve 1810g is the newer model of 1800
they have almost simmilar in functions n specs?

Exactly. There are subtle differences like the 1810 support jumbo frames out of the box where as the 1800 need a firmware update. And the fans in the 28xx are a bit quieter then the 27xx but functionally they are all the same.

None that I have personally noticed. My Dell 5324s support both, and I have used both, but couldn't see any difference between the two. LACP seems to be better in a failover situation but that's just my opinion.

It's not your opinion, it's a fact. LACP is a protocol that runs on the links to guarantee that the system id's (MAC) match to the same switch below via sending LACPDUs on each link. If not (or it doesn't respond) that link will not be added to the bundle. L2 blackholes get prevented this way.

Also, performance via static or LACP makes no difference (aside from LACPDUs being sent)

Exactly. There are subtle differences like the 1810 support jumbo frames out of the box where as the 1800 need a firmware update. And the fans in the 28xx are a bit quieter then the 27xx but functionally they are all the same.
speaking of fans, i changed the original fan of my 2724 to a 12v ones cos its kinda loud. now its not pushing out air fast enough. the temperature at near the rear is about 52^c. Guess il have to find another replacement

Back