Help with possible 3TB HDD?

DarkDubzs

Limp Gawd
So for a future build, i chose overkill for storage, i hate running out of space and having to add another or moving around data and stuff, so initially i chose a single large HDD to last me quite a long time. Full build here. I dont remember how, but today i found out you have to mess around to get a 3tb drive to work with windows. It will only detect up to a 2TB partion or something. I read you have to change the drive setting from MBR to GPT, and have only so far gotten a vague idea on how to do this. Right now, I'm not sure if it is easy to do this or if there are any major cons to going from using tradition MBR to the new GPT. It should work though, as the most I would be using will have UEFI. I will keep looking into all this, but in the meantime, why not ask and get some answers while I keep researching?

First, I want to ask if I should get a single 3tb hdd or two 2tb drives. In terms of reliability, what do you suggest? I would assume it is more reliable to get two 2tb drives, but is that so, and if so, how much more or less reliable? Then, in general, what do you recommend I do? I am still very much leaning to a single 3tb though. Personally, I prefer having all my data in one large place and not having to worry about moving data between multiple drives to see which has more or less space, or for whatever reasons. Also physically, it would take less space and power (not like hdd's consume much power at all anyways though), and I could possibly be able to take out a hard drive cage in a case if I needed to and not have to worry since I would only have this single large capacity hdd and a fairly spacious ssd. All in all, I would prefer a single 3tb drive, but I can switch to picking two smaller drives if it means substantially better reliability or if it would be too much of a hassle to set up and/or use GPT.

Second and lastly, how would I set up changing the drive from standard MBR to GPT? I've been looking around for answers on Google, but so far gotten vague results or still haven't understood it. Also, are there any major (or even just inconveniencing) cons to using GPT? I've never used this new format, I haven't even heard of it until today. Will there be any compatibility issues with programs or components or anything at all? Will it be slower or faster or same?
Long story short, will there be any noticeable cons to using GPT in order to use a 3tb drive as just one portion? Anything at all? Anything I or anyone reading this should at least be aware about?
Or will it act basically just the same as the standard MBR?

Last note, in terms of backup, I would for sure have at least one external hard drive, in this case, a 4tb external HDD (would have to make that set up to act as one 4tb drive too, I guess). Would be backing up almost everything since day 1. Also, I know two 2tb drives would give me an extra TB in total than one 3tb drive, but for the sake of this scenario, please do not consider that as a factor.

Sorry for such a long post, hope it is all clear and understandable. Please leave any recommendations, suggestions, help, and feedback you can. Thank you!

There is no principal issue with 3 TB drives. With a recent system with recent drivers they normally just work.
If you partition a 3 TB drive in Windows, it will automatically use GPT. A generally safe check whether your system correctly supports 3 TB drives is to do a full format.
Are you going to use the 3 TB drive as an OS drive?

There is no principal issue with 3 TB drives. With a recent system with recent drivers they normally just work.
If you partition a 3 TB drive in Windows, it will automatically use GPT. A generally safe check whether your system correctly supports 3 TB drives is to do a full format.
Are you going to use the 3 TB drive as an OS drive?
So it would just be plug and play like using a normal 1tb drive? No need to update the bios or anything different, out of the way?

Forgot to mention: the HDD would be for normal storage like files and whatever doesn't need the speed of an ssd. OS and some programs (most games, some programs like photoshop maybe, etc.) would be on the SSD.

Non-UEFI bios cannot boot from a GPT hard drive. UEFI bios can.

Yes, it will be plug and play, especially if your OS is on a separate drive. Just plug it in, format and create the volume, and you're done.

Non-UEFI bios cannot boot from a GPT hard drive. UEFI bios can.

Yes, it will be plug and play, especially if your OS is on a separate drive. Just plug it in, format and create the volume, and you're done.

Format the drive? When I built my current rig, I don't remember formatting it, I just threw in the 1tb drive, installed Windows 8 and was on my way. Is it normal to format them before installing anything? Was I suppose to?

As far as "reliability" goes, please make sure you are making proper backups. It sucks to lose data.

As far as "reliability" goes, please make sure you are making proper backups. It sucks to lose data.

Last note, in terms of backup, I would for sure have at least one external hard drive, in this case, a 4tb external HDD (would have to make that set up to act as one 4tb drive too, I guess). Would be backing up almost everything since day 1.

Totally with you on losing data, thankfully I have never experienced a hard drive fail, but I know it will happen one day and that will be one of the worst days of my life.

So it would just be plug and play like using a normal 1tb drive? No need to update the bios or anything different, out of the way?
It depends on how old your PC and BIOS is. That is why you should do a full format (i.e. not quick) of the drive first. If your system has a problem with more than LBA32, you are going to overwrite the partition table and end up with a raw drive. That is your indicator for an incompatible system in its current state.

Format the drive? When I built my current rig, I don't remember formatting it, I just threw in the 1tb drive, installed Windows 8 and was on my way. Is it normal to format them before installing anything? Was I suppose to?

When you install Windows it will format what ever partition you set up during the install. This doesn't take a long time.

It depends on how old your PC and BIOS is. That is why you should do a full format (i.e. not quick) of the drive first. If your system has a problem with more than LBA32, you are going to overwrite the partition table and end up with a raw drive. That is your indicator for an incompatible system in its current state.

When you install Windows it will format what ever partition you set up during the install. This doesn't take a long time.

Sorry, I think there has been a misunderstanding. This is all concerning a new future build, it is in the firsy couple sentences. I even linked to the full parts list. Obviously, because it will be a new build, it will be all new parts.

I dont remember how, but today i found out you have to mess around to get a 3tb drive to work with windows. It will only detect up to a 2TB partion or something. I read you have to change the drive setting from MBR to GPT, and have only so far gotten a vague idea on how to do this.

You don't have to. When you install Windows 8.1 on a new drive, it will set it up as GPT by default as part of the installation process.

You don't have to. When you install Windows 8.1 on a new drive, it will set it up as GPT by default as part of the installation process.

So Windows 8 has totally stopped using MBR? or it only does this for drives larger than 2TB that MBR doesn't support? Also, is this for 8 too or just 8.1? Hope Windows 10 does this too.

Totally with you on losing data, thankfully I have never experienced a hard drive fail, but I know it will happen one day and that will be one of the worst days of my life.

Good God. Backup your data rather than wait around for the one of the worst days of your life.

Sheesh.

every uefi board is capable of booting legay disks, which means it starts in compatibility mode which prevents booting GPT Disks. As far as i experienced, these boards start in legacy mode as soon as one device is a non gpt disk (eg cdrom, mbr usb disks...) Windows can not even be installed on a gpt disk if the system is not bootet in uefi mode.

Your sentence "Also, I know two 2tb drives would give me an extra TB in total than one 3tb drive, but for the sake of this scenario, please do not consider that as a factor." got me thinking... please read up how data is placed on 2 physical disks and what happens if one of those disks fail. (google hint: striping, raid0)

You best assume that every hard drive fails. Case and point!!! So if you dont want to loose all your data, make working backups and also test those backups from time to time, or do some kind of parity related storage approach (raid5, raid6, raidz, unRaid).

every uefi board is capable of booting legay disks, which means it starts in compatibility mode which prevents booting GPT Disks. As far as i experienced, these boards start in legacy mode as soon as one device is a non gpt disk (eg cdrom, mbr usb disks...) Windows can not even be installed on a gpt disk if the system is not bootet in uefi mode.

Your sentence "Also, I know two 2tb drives would give me an extra TB in total than one 3tb drive, but for the sake of this scenario, please do not consider that as a factor." got me thinking... please read up how data is placed on 2 physical disks and what happens if one of those disks fail. (google hint: striping, raid0)

You best assume that every hard drive fails. Case and point!!! So if you dont want to loose all your data, make working backups and also test those backups from time to time, or do some kind of parity related storage approach (raid5, raid6, raidz, unRaid).

So does that mean if I plug in an ssd and the 3tb drive when I first build the rig, install the os to the ssd, will Windows automatically set up the HDD as GPT? What about with the ssd, what would that be set up as?

If I had two hard drives, I had been thinking I would use them as just two separate storage drives instead of using them in raid. So that is not necessarily the case of with how data is placed on two drives, because it is a choice to use raid. Is all that correct?

Every drive has a 100% failure rate, it is just a matter of when. It may fail in a year, or in ten years. On my current rig, I haven't bought an external to backup on, soon though. I was thinking of putting a system image on a second drive so if the primary failed, I could just pop in the second and it would be the same, but that would take too long and would not work if I used it on other hardware. Also, I was told raid is not to be relied on as backup, but it would still be nice to buy another drive to use for parity on the new build, would that work?

So does that mean if I plug in an ssd and the 3tb drive when I first build the rig, install the os to the ssd, will Windows automatically set up the HDD as GPT? What about with the ssd, what would that be set up as?

By the way, if you are going to install the OS to an SSD, you should have only the SSD hooked up, and hook up the HDD after the install. This will avoid some possible trouble in the future should you later remove or replace the HDD; maybe they fixed this in 8.1, I don't know, but it's just best to have only the OS drive hooked up during the OS install.

When you install 8.1 to an SSD, it will be formatted as GPT by default. You would want to do this anyway even if the SSD isn't anywhere near 2.2TB. You would only want cripple yourself with MBR for some very specific legacy compatibility reasons which you won't have on a system built in this decade.

After the Windows install is done and you hook up the 3TB drive as a data drive, you may get a pop-up window asking you to initialize the disk (giving you the choice of MBR or GPT), or if you don't, you would just open the Disk Management control panel and do the work there. This article seems to cover all you need to know about this.

By the way, if you are going to install the OS to an SSD, you should have only the SSD hooked up, and hook up the HDD after the install. This will avoid some possible trouble in the future should you later remove or replace the HDD; maybe they fixed this in 8.1, I don't know, but it's just best to have only the OS drive hooked up during the OS install.

When you install 8.1 to an SSD, it will be formatted as GPT by default. You would want to do this anyway even if the SSD isn't anywhere near 2.2TB. You would only want cripple yourself with MBR for some very specific legacy compatibility reasons which you won't have on a system built in this decade.

After the Windows install is done and you hook up the 3TB drive as a data drive, you may get a pop-up window asking you to initialize the disk (giving you the choice of MBR or GPT), or if you don't, you would just open the Disk Management control panel and do the work there. This article seems to cover all you need to know about this.

Thanks so much, that was really helpful.

Yeah, I was thinking that I should install Windows to the SSD, then after it is all installed, I connect the HDD.

So will Windows set up drives to GPT now by default for now on? Or does/will Windows 8.1 only do this? I hope W10 does this too, I might be right on time to build when W10 comes out, if so, Ill use W10. Also, would 8.1 set up a 3TB HDD as GPT by default if it was the boot drive?

Thanks for telling me what to expect and what would happen. Thanks for that article too.

It will set it up in GPT as long as you're booting in UEFI mode. It may or may not install in MBR if you're booting in legacy mode. The best way to ensure booting in UEFI mode is to disable all legacy boot options in the bios.

After you already installed Windows, and you insert a new disk, it will give you the option of formatting as MBR or GPT. Just make sure you choose GPT.

How do I make sure I boot into UEFI mode when I am going to install Windows? Do I have to boot into UEFI every time as well? Even if I do not boot into UEFI when I am going to install Windows, I can still change the drive to use GPT from the device manager can't I?

How do I make sure I boot into UEFI mode when I am going to install Windows? Do I have to boot into UEFI every time as well? Even if I do not boot into UEFI when I am going to install Windows, I can still change the drive to use GPT from the device manager can't I?

This is really not that hard... Only connect the 3TB HDD to the computer after you've installed the OS. The hard drive will not be formatted (unless it's an external drive, in which case it will be plug and play anyway) so no new drives will show up in 'My Computer' when you boot into the OS. Go to the disk manager and format the hard drive, it will automatically use GPT and you will have all 3TB formatted. Done.

This is really not that hard... Only connect the 3TB HDD to the computer after you've installed the OS. The hard drive will not be formatted (unless it's an external drive, in which case it will be plug and play anyway) so no new drives will show up in 'My Computer' when you boot into the OS. Go to the disk manager and format the hard drive, it will automatically use GPT and you will have all 3TB formatted. Done.

Alright thanks, ill do that. Because it'll use GPT, I assume it will not be partitioned, correct? I just want it to show and work like one drive.

In your case it will make a single partition with almost all of the space.

Out of curiosity, how much will not be available? And why will some be taken up? I know Windows has to store some data on there to know what to do with it and stuff, but that is not usually much at all is it?

Like 8 megabytes. This is not much different from MBR. I mean with that you still had at least 1 partition + a similar amount of wasted space.

Hey, I was reading something on another site and it was about installing windows 8 in UEFI mode instead of BIOS and it listed the benefits of installing with UEFI, one of them included support of drives larger than 2TB. So does that mean I can just install W8 in UEFI and that would take care of using a 3tb drive in a single partition? Would I still have to go and change the drive to GPT? Can I just install in UEFI mode and that would take care of my issue and be the end of it?

With UEFI you will use GPT.

So if I just install with UEFI, I am all good? Doesnt seem like I will need to do anything if that is the case because most mobos are UEFI now and should normally install in UEFI by default. When I fist built this rig, I didnt do anything special and it installed with UEFI by itself.

If installing windows in UEFI doesnt work, as in letting the 3tb drive work as a 3tb single partition, I would need to convert it to GPT. Is changing a disk from MBR to GPT really this easy, is that the right way to do it? (ignore everything after 3:50)

Back