Help with port tranlation how to make it work

ptrout

Limp Gawd
Is it possible hit 2 separate devices on the same internal network from the out side, that operate on identical ports ?

Internally,

Device 1: 192.168.1.25 :its web server port is 12345
Device 2: 192.168.1.50 :its web server port is also 12345

Note: the ports are locked, I can not change the ports on these devices

In most router setup for port forwarding, it only allows me to forward a range to one specific internal IP address.

Is it possible to setup a way to that if I hit the public IP using two different ports, it can translate into 2 different internal IP's, yet the same port.

i.e.

xxx.dyndns.org:12345 ------> 192.168.1.25:12345
xxx.dyndns.org:12346 ------> 192.168.1.58:12345

If a new router or a better network gear is needed to do this, I am willing to spend the money. And help or suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks guys

J

Last edited:
Yup its possible. My D-link does this. They call it like virtual server or port triggering or something like that. what happens is you tell it to forward and external port to an internal ip and port. For example I have 3 machines that i can get to with remote desktop but they all listen on the same port. i just hit them from 3 different external ports and its forwarded properly.

What router are you currently using

Ljnksys 54g

I guess Im looking in the wrong section?

I was looking at port range forwarding under game and applications.

Thanks

You're right actually, looking at screenshots it seems the Linksys doesn't offer a 'local port' option.

Can you install dd-wrt on this router? Which model and revision do you have?

Some model routers allow port redirection.
With basic port forwarding..where the port is the same externally/internally, you can't port forward to 2x different internal IP address. Example, port 80 can only go to 192.168.1.10
Routers that support port redirection though, you can...you can do port 80 to 192.168.1.10:80 and port 8080 to 192.168.1.11:80

Can you guys suggest routers model number/brand that will support this feature ?

thanks again.

Jay

Yeah, look on the sticker and find out what hardware revision you have.

Back