W31 D0n9

n00b
I've been scouring the interwebs for PCIE slot measurements with mixed results. There are a few common graphics that pop-up each time this question is asked on various forums, but they are inconsistent and vary quite a bit. If you've ever searched for this measurement you've probably seen them yourself, if not, you can check them out here.

Jeffinslaw, who designed the Project mATX case, also had this discussion on another forum and received a couple different measurements, as well as posting his own. And unfortunately, formfactors.org doesn't have any resource that addresses this either.

So I figured I'd pose the question here, and see if we can pin down a common measurement, or if we're lucky, stumble upon the holy grail that is PCIE slot standard spec. I've added some sketches that cover the most important measurements for the slots, with one graphic depicting a top down view of the flange that pci cards are mounted to, and another graphic from an inside out view of the slots next to the motherboard IO.

PCIE Slot Measurement (TOP).png PCIE Slot Measurement (INSIDE FACE).png

I'll be sure to update this post for a record of all the different measurements that are posted.

UPDATE - 5/4/17

SOURCE: Protocase Technical Bulletin, Updated June 6th, 2011
Thanks to [21CW]killerofall

PCIE Slot Measurement Table (Protocase).png

I didn't add measurements for the distance between motherboard tray and bottom of PCI slots, but they are included in this paper, and use the standard 6-32 x 3/8" motherboard standoff.

Last edited:

Thanks for your input. Sounds like I need a little work with my google-fu. :ninja:

I found that first link before but failed to find any pci measurements for the slot, mostly connection and interface info. Did I miss something?

I've actually used some of the protocase resources and never came across that paper. I'll add that to the measurement list. I'd also like to point out that the paper was last updated in 2011, still a good find!

Thanks for your input. Sounds like I need a little work with my google-fu. :ninja:

I found that first link before but failed to find any pci measurements for the slot, mostly connection and interface info. Did I miss something?

I've actually used some of the protocase resources and never came across that paper. I'll add that to the measurement list. I'd also like to point out that the paper was last updated in 2011, still a good find!

Hi, Protocase is my employer, so I wanted to chime in here - I'm glad you find that paper a helpful resource. As you noted, it is a bit on the older side - we are in the process of updating it, so if you feel there's any information we cover in it that we don't already, just let me know. :)

Hi, Protocase is my employer, so I wanted to chime in here - I'm glad you find that paper a helpful resource. As you noted, it is a bit on the older side - we are in the process of updating it, so if you feel there's any information we cover in it that we don't already, just let me know. :)

Thanks for reaching out.

I'm so pleased with the information and measurements in the tech bulletin that I've already updated the thread with a PCI slot measurement chart based on the info provided by Protocase. And judging by the lack of response so far, it may be the only web published paper on the topic! Hats off to ya and feel free to post the update here when it becomes available.:woot:

Back