Help with OCing my e6300 further

synbios

Weaksauce
I've overclocked my rig to 2.9ghz but I'm pretty sure I can get a little more out of it. I've tried OCing further but have experienced instability.
There are some options I'm not too familar with and would like any suggestions to help me OC further!

I've added pics to show settings and options I can tweak.
Thanks

The main specs:
E6300 (1.86ghz version)
MSI P45 Zilent (Platinum)
Coolermaster Hyper 212 (with MX-2)
Corsair TwinX XMS2 CAS 4-4-4-12 DHX
Corsair HX450w
xfx 9600gt Alphadog edition
X-Fi Gamer
Gigabyte Poseidon case

Current system settings

Cell Menu

Cell Menu 2

Ram settings

Bios temps & volts

It is your ram, its running at 832MHz most likely, its already set to cas 5 go ahead and manually set the ram timing to 5 5 5 18 as 5 4 4 12 buys you nothing and is an oddball setting.

Increase DRAM voltage to 2.1V

Get your voltages all off of auto and set to the defaults and see if you can maintain your current OC at your current Vcore and DRAM Voltage at 2.1. You might have to increase the MCH voltage a step or two. That is the whole point of getting all that stuff off of auto. I dont have a clue to tell you what to do as I have no clue what the board has already done to get you where you are.

Quick and dirty set the ram as above, set the FSB/DRAM ratio to 2.0 and make sure it stays there. Raise CPU Voltage to 1.4V. Raise the FSB in 5 MHz jumps and see where it craps out.

Your memory is going to hold you back as anything over a 400MHz FSB setting will start OCing your 800MHz memory. That is why it is imperative to give it its full loose timings and max voltage so it can OC as much as it can while letting your CPU run faster. (look at the JDEC profiles )

I had my 6300 at 475 FSB for over 2 years so it is very likely 3.2GHz (458 x 7) should be easy - if the board will do it. Unless you got a stinker of a dud CPU the CPU should make 3.2 easy. Trouble is, that is over 900MHz on your 800MHz rated memory, and that is going to be the limiting factor I think.

Thanks for the info BillParrish.

Just another update:
I know my ram is good up to at least 505mhz (1010mhz) at 5-5-5-15 on 1.9v.

I seem to be getting some seriously high temps on the cpu at 3.1/3.2ghz. I increased the volts to 1.39 but crashed once and several times errors. Other times the temps hit 84oC although I reckon the reading is not accurate (HWMonitor). Core temps shows temps 5 degrees lower than hwmonitor and real temp is a further 5.
Room temp is 28 degrees though. I checked the cpu temp was 34oc in bios and real temp showed this once I adjusted the TJMax to 85oC.

will have to run some stability tests but is currently on 3ghz

my E6300 is stable @ 3.2 (458 x 7) on stock voltage. load temps are around 55C with a freezer 7 pro and AS5 in a antec 900. i will be changing the HSF to a OCZ vendetta 2 and try to reach around 3.5 with a voltage bump.

my E6300 is stable @ 3.2 (458 x 7) on stock voltage. load temps are around 55C with a freezer 7 pro and AS5 in a antec 900. i will be changing the HSF to a OCZ vendetta 2 and try to reach around 3.5 with a voltage bump.

What mobo are you using?

Back