Help with new HTPC build

As the topic states im going to build a new HTPC my question is should i go for older CPU an discrete graphics or newest CPU with integrated graphics? i'm trying to get mobo/CPU/GPU?/ram for no more then $600USD has to be itx board. Ive just never used integrated graphics ever an i have no clue how much it has progressed with the newest stuff out. Thank you for all input/advice an even if you have a totally different way to approach this please feel free to speak on it as im all about learning more!

You need to give us some requirements. What are you planning to do on this HTPC?

So for $600, all you need is board/gpu/gpu/ram? Or all components?

really an intel or AMD IGP or APU will be fine. You may not be able to play back full bitstreaming of the non-existant 4k blu-ray audio in full fidelity, but that is nitpicking. I believe intel and AMD's soultions all bitstream multi-channel via HDMI today ( that use to be an issue) so as long as you are going with a modern chipset then you are good.

but be warned there is not an Amazon Video app for windows so you will be using the browser or a hack app that may or may not have support or work long term.

Also using a HTPC with a remote is basically a none starter unless you want to use windows 8.1 and a hobbled WMC

I have a HTPC and the reasons to have one are dwindling. our FireTV is just as capable and the WAF is much higher with the same apps since they were designed arunnd a remote and 10' UI

Your best bet is an i3 skylake. I'd get an Asrock or Asus H170 motheboard. They have all the bells you need for HTPC and none of the whistles (meaning you don't pay for things you aren't using). And they are good brands. You don't need a 500w power supply.

If you are fully loading it with hard drives 500w is ok. If you are not go with a 350w and safe some money.

Go with 8GB of RAM, which is overkill yes, but its cheap overkill.

And for ripping. Use MakeMKV or download the Assassin HTPC setup that they have now which takes a lot of guesswork out and things and has MakeMKV/ripping integrated right into the Kodi interface. Great for beginners of HTPC.

And I agree with Adidas and the remote. Buy a $15 Rii RF mini keyboard with touchpad as long as your system is less than 20 feet away from you. They are cool devices. Last about a year or two though only but for $15 shipped just buy another one.

I spent $400 for Gigabyte Brix, 128gb m.2, 2tb ssd, 8gb ram. Love this thing, runs 24/7 all my htpc needs on Windows 10 pro, smooth as butter.

Its funny you say that about the brix i was in frys an was about to buy one just to check out but got scared cause its not for my personal use an i would hate to test it on someone else. So i just threw something together quick.
IMG_5589.JPG IMG_5800.JPG IMG_5801.JPG

For streaming purposes, a HTPC is a waste of money. Roku or any of the other products available work much better at a fraction of the cost. The primary uses for a HTPC lately are as a DVR and to use a frontend such as Kodi to access a media library. Although as you already have parts, there isnt much reason stop spending money now.

It turned out perfect for the person. It needs a Storage HD installed in cause he is putting all his pictures an media on it. Otherwise all is well! Again thank you for all the input from everyone!

You don't need a 1TB ssd. Just a small fast ssd for os and a 2TB laptop hdd.

Youtube, Hulu, Amazon prime, Netflix, 1080p rips.

Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more - Newegg.com

Intel NUC (Next Unit of Computing) BOXNUC6I5SYH 2 x 260Pin SO-DIMM Intel Iris graphics 540 1 x full-size HDMI 1.4b 1 x mini DisplayPort 1.2 Aluminum and Plastic Mini / Booksize Barebone System - Newegg.com
Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) SODIMM 260-Pin Memory - BLS2K8G4S240FSD-Newegg.com
SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 256GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V5P256BW - Newegg.com
WD Blue 2TB Mobile 15mm Hard Drive - 5400 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 2.5 Inch - WD20NPVZ-Newegg.com
$777.92

Though you could shave off about $90 by stepping down to the i3 NUC
Intel NUC6i3SYH Kit with 6th Generation Intel Core i3 Processor-Newegg.com

You could also compromise by stepping down to 8GB of RAM to start.
Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) 260-Pin DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Laptop Memory Model CT2K4G4SFS8213 - Newegg.com

Or go crazy and step up to the Skull Trail NUC
Intel NUC Skull Canyon NUC6i7KYK kit with 6th gen. Intel Core i7 processor, M.2 SSD Compatible, Dual DDR4 Memory Max 32GB with Intel Iris Pro graphics, Thunderbolt 3, No OS, Windows 10 Compatible-Newegg.com

Not sure how much better you're going to do at a $600 budget.

PC Hound Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-6320 ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Pro4S ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) ($33.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W SuperNOVA 220-P2-0650-X1 ($98.68 @ Amazon)
Storage: SAMSUNG 256GB 950 PRO MZ-V5P256BW ($187.55 @ NCIX)
Storage #2: HGST 4TB Deskstar NAS H3IKNAS40003272SN (0S03664) ($157.49 @ Newegg)
Case: nMEDIAPC HTPC 7000B ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $795.67
Price may include shipping, rebates, promotions, and tax
Generated by PC Hound

Last edited by a moderator:
Back