Help with new 6800 GT, is this normal?

Mxcrules

n00b
I've got a new PNY 6800 GT and I'm wondering if this strange behavior is normal. I replaced a 9700 Pro.
Everytime I click anything associated with the Nview icon in the taskbar or right click the desktop and click "Analog display" my screen does the black screen "click click" like when you enable the Tv-Out. Other times the whole screen will dim and then brighten back up.
The 9700 used to do the screen reset when I enabled tv-out which is normal and fine, but this thing is ridiculous. Anyway, other 6800 GT owners is this normal? (or for Nvidia cards lately) Got a 430W Antec, stock speed on the card, I unplugged a whole bunch of peripherals (HD's, etc.) and hooked the card up to a direct PS dongle.

Thanks in advance for any help...
(before I head back to the store if need be)

BTW, the 3d is fine. Looping 3dmark03, etc.

Yeah, it does that on mine too....a fairly new Viewsonic. Nothing to worry about I suppose.

edit- I have a eVGA GT which is virtually the same as the PNY and BFG except they all have different stickers on the heatsink cover.

tranCendenZ said:
Do you have a really old monitor? Sounds like its having VESA DDC problems.

Nope, fairly new NEC Multisync 97F. A 19" running 1280x1024 at 85Hz

Mine did that too. Anytime I would open the display properties or switch to the advanced tabs, the whole screen would blank out for a second. And I'm running a Samsung 192N LCD.

my screen does a little shimmy when i exit the window after messing around with the clock speed or checking my temps.

Got a tip on usenet that it's a 60.xx driver thing. A guy says the 56.72's are solid. (But he had a 5900) But I'm wondering what does it mean exactly when the driver notes say "Support for 6800" as in the newer 60.xx drivers. Does that mean I can't use the 50.xx"s? Anyone know?

Did you reformat, or otherwise use driver cleaner to get rid of all ATI related drivers/programs before installing the Nvidia card?

Ludic said:
Did you reformat, or otherwise use driver cleaner to get rid of all ATI related drivers/programs before installing the Nvidia card?

Funny you should ask, because I had deleted the "Omega blah blah setup files" which apparently deleted the uninstaller. I used the driver cleaner but ended up uninstalling the card with the device manager. I think I'll run a repair install and reload the forceware. Except I am getting reports of others verifying this strange behavior. Hope they fix it sometime down the road.

I think I've been running the same install since the 9700 Pro replaced my GF 3Ti200, and I didn't format for that one either. Doh...

Thanks all...

I have just bought eVGA 6800GT from zipzoomfly.com since Gateway cancel my order of X800XT without me knowing. Anyway I have installed 6800GT on my Shuttle XPC SB75G2 V2. Seem to be working fine so far. I was reading somewhere how to properly uninstall previous driver from your OS. Forgot where. First find "driver cleaner" version 3.2.
Step one: Use uninstall in Add/Remove Program to remove the video driver.
Step two: reboot and go to safe-mode then use "driver cleaner" to clean all of left-over from previous driver.
Step three: reboot once more and install the newest driver.
I find it easier than going through registry and remove the files/directories. As for your screen flickering in/out. I think it's normal. I have 21" Dell FD Trinitron. It will flicker every time I change/apply settings. Welp I hope this helps :D

does not sound normal, my evga unit does not exhibit that behaviour, but I am also on an LCD...?

I have a bfg 6800gt, using the 61.76 that were on nvidia's site. But with my LCD I don't get anything like that. Switching to any of the crts I have does do the black out thing. I think the reason it does that is because it's checking for support refresh rates by the monitor.

Back