Help with networking question

firedfox

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone, currently we have our DSL hooked up in our office, we have 2 lines cause we used to have a 56k modem and the 2nd line is for the fax machine and DSL and also as a 2nd phone line. The office is on the first floor of our 2 story house, I just bought a new desk and id like to put it and my comp in my room which is on the second floor. My room isnt directly above the office and its not practical for me to try to run it through the walls, one thing I was thinking about is running it out the window of the office, under the deck, up the railing that supports the the deck roof and happens to be just about level with my window. The only thing I worry about is condensation, the wire getting shorted, the wire being cut, rotting out etc from parts of it being in the weather, does anyone have a better solution? I also have another DSL model that Pacbell sent us, could I hook it up to the 2nd phoneline that the DSL is on now but up in my room?

Why not do it wirelessly? Just get a wireless router (or access point if you already have a router) and then use a wireless NIC on your computer? I'm pretty sure the wireless stuff will work one story up a house.

Originally posted by No Limit
Why not do it wirelessly? Just get a wireless router (or access point if you already have a router) and then use a wireless NIC on your computer? I'm pretty sure the wireless stuff will work one story up a house.
I was going to say that, but i think he wants to hook up the DSL in his room

Well, we do have a networking forum here, ya know? Which is the more appropriate forum for your topic, so off ya go.

I knew there was one around here some where but I gave up before I foudn it, thanks for moving it. As for wireless, it would be nice, I already have a router and an access point would work, ive never been to fond of them just cause it seems like alot of things could go wrong. Like random connection loss, is that a problem id have to worry about? Are they reliable? Would I have interference from our wireless phone that say they run on the same frequency.

The access point would just plug into the switch on your router. I never really had a problem with dropped connections. I have a wireless network setup in a three floor house and the speed is just as fast on the 3rd floor as it is on the 1st floor. Pings are great when playing games like CounterStrike. I never had any problems using a cordless phone around my computer also.

Back