Help with Mini ITX board for Phenom II?

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
I haven't done an AMD build in a while.. My buddy has a Dell that will no longer post we think is a mobo problem. He wants to take the guts (AMD Phenom II 1090T 6 Core) and build an HTPC out of it. So we are tryign to find a mini ITX mobo for this CPU. I don't even know the pin count or chipset we should use so any help would be appreciated!

you'll be looking for an am3 board not am3+. the last amd chipset that came in m-itx was the 890. you need to look at the used market.

Could someone recommend some models that were out back then in mini ITX that this will work in?

well that's the other problem. when am3 and the amd 8xx series chipset was new-we're talking about when intel released the first generation of i-series cpus- mini itx wasn't a big thing. you won't find any major board builders who supported m-itx back then outside of one-off oem jobs. here's a sample. here's what i found on ebay. your friend is better off looking for a modern am3+ micro atx board.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
OK, I had a feeling that was the case. Going to save these parts for a different build. How does the CPU I have compare to newer stuff? Will it still make a good gaming system with the right video card or will I be CPU limited?

Gut feeling, but I don't think ITX boards for that platform officially supported those Phenom x6 processors, due to the high power req'd (125W). IIRC they only officially supported 95W and under, if that.

OK, I had a feeling that was the case. Going to save these parts for a different build. How does the CPU I have compare to newer stuff? Will it still make a good gaming system with the right video card or will I be CPU limited?

The 1090T is still decent enough for a lot of games. The performance is actually better than the first-generation FX chips in some workloads/games, but still falls behind Intel's Core i series. My 1090T was fun to OC and with the right motherboard/CPU cooler, you should have no trouble coaxing a bit of extra performance out of it.

This is what it looks like up against a 2500K: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/288?vs=146 and here it is against the first-generation FX: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/434?vs=146

I know a lot of people that are still gaming on their AMD Phenom II Hexacores.

As far as the mITX situation is concerned, since AMD was not exactly focused on power efficiency in that generation, squeezing all of the necessary components onto an mITX motherboard was not easy. Very few were made. Even in the mATX world, there are no AM3+ mATX boards that I have seen that used the newer 970/990 chipset. The ones that I have used were all based on the 760G or 880G chipset.

Also, the high idle power would have made this a relatively expensive media PC to have around. This is because this is the last AMD processor to not have a per-core sleep option, so every core you added increased the idle power:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4955/the-bulldozer-review-amd-fx8150-tested/9

This is compared to all later architectures, where the idle power (on the same motherboard) is relatively unchanged no matter the number of cores.

You don't tend to turn off media PCs (especially if you're going to use it as a DVR), so this would would just sit there all day sucking down 110w.

Gut feeling, but I don't think ITX boards for that platform officially supported those Phenom x6 processors, due to the high power req'd (125W). IIRC they only officially supported 95W and under, if that.

I had thought about that also.. probably right!

the zotac board supported up to 140w tdp chips, but the linked board on ebay i have no idea about.

Back