Help with installing XP (SATA drive issue)

plasma

Gawd
I'm trying to install XP on a new HP pavillion desktop that came with vista. It has a Foxconn mcp73 motherboard and a sata hd. When I try to install XP, I boot from CD it starts to load and I get a setupdd.sys error code 7. I've tried switching the sata controller setting in the bios from ahci to ide, but that didn't work. I've also tried slipstreaming the storage controller drivers in textmode etc... but I still get the error:confused:

I've tried 2 sets of the drivers 1 from foxconn's site and the other from nvidia. I was thinking about trying the mass storage on driverpacks.net but haven't yet.

What do I need to do to get XP to install?:confused::confused:

I had very similar problem with XP install - after 3 day I gave up ..... Installed Vista which is working without problems :)

Press F6 to load raid drivers and load them from the motherboard manufacturer or chipset manufacturer. Unless this is what you mean you did when you tried those 2 sets of drivers.

I was thinking about getting a floppy, not sure where an internal would go this, and there are only a few usb ones supported by xp, but I could order one of those.

What I don't get is I used nLite to slipstream the drivers into XP so I shouldn't need to supply them on floppy. Should explore the new cd and verify the drivers are really there, maybe they didn't take or something?

Is the setupdd.sys error definitely caused by the sata controller in xp:confused: THe reason I ask is after reading this microsoft documentation it sounds like bad ram or an incompatible pci device. It is a brand new machine and vista runs just fine so I know it's not ram or faulty hardware, but could it be something incompatible card reader etc??

Just because Vista runs fine does not mean the mainboard or RAM couldn't be defective... test the RAM first with this software just to rule anything out.

I would try a standard Windows XP disc that has not been modified or had any drivers added and see what happens. I am sort of suspecting you have a driver issue.

Yeah worse comes to worse try and pickup a usb floppy and see if you can get it to work that way.

Yes the mcp73 is an nvidia chipset. I've tried using nlite to slipstream the drivers in textmode with no luck. I even downloaded the drivers from both foxconn and nvidia with the same result. AFAIK I'm using the correct driver. I explore the 300+mb installer with winrar and extracted the sata raid and ide folders and that's what I opened in nlite and integrated

I'm not actually looking at it at the moment, but as I recall in the advanced settings of the bios there's only 1 sata controller option, and there are 2 modes "ide" and "ahci" but I've tried both and still get the same error:confused:.

Back