Help with home network

rayman2k2

Supreme [H]ardness
Okay, I have a wireless WRT54G Linksys router, with a WMP54G desktop card. I enabled WEP (and tried WPA) to get my network secure but now my desktop wont connect to the router. It keeps saying Acquiring Network Address and it waits for the network to get ready, but it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?

Make sure SSID broadcast is not turned off or otherwise in the case of Linksys's, it will not connect whatsoever. Also try changing the channels as well.

WEP and WPA keys are REAL easy to screw up so double check entries one character off means it will never authenticate and thus, no wireless.

Also, flash the WRT54g with newest firmware as its fixed some wireless stuff with newest versions. It also enhances the firewall, so no reason not to do it. Mines been running 6 months now with no problem, but I don't run WEP and WPA as its overkill where I live.

The SSID broadcast is on, and would it change anything if I changed the channels? It connects to the router, it just doesnt get assigned an IP address. Is there a way to manually assign an IP address to the card?

rayman2k2 said:
The SSID broadcast is on, and would it change anything if I changed the channels? It connects to the router, it just doesnt get assigned an IP address. Is there a way to manually assign an IP address to the card?

Changing the channels make sure that nothing is interfering with that frequency and preventing the connection.

Make sure DHCP is on in the router and make sure your windows settings for the wireless card are set to obtain TCP/IP and DNS automatically. If you want to do static, select an IP out of the DHCP pool range such as 192.168.1.150 or thereabouts and set everything else static as well.

Are any computers hardwired to the router having issues or just wireless? Thats and easy way to check to see if the router itself is misconfigured or just plain bad.

just the wireless, my current computer is hardwired to the router, so it seems to be working fine.

How do I make sure it gets the DNS and TCP/IP Automatically? I believe it is on auto right now, but just to make sure...

rayman2k2 said:
just the wireless, my current computer is hardwired to the router, so it seems to be working fine.

How do I make sure it gets the DNS and TCP/IP Automatically? I believe it is on auto right now, but just to make sure...

Rick Click Network Neighborhood or my Network Places
Select Properties
Right Click of your Wireless card icon
Select Properties
Select Internet Protocol IP outa of the list
Select Properties
Make sure its set to obtain all automatically

oh wow, thanks bro!

now, what if i were to assign it its own IP address? like 192.168.1.101 and 255.255.255.0?

rayman2k2 said:
oh wow, thanks bro!

now, what if i were to assign it its own IP address? like 192.168.1.101 and 255.255.255.0?

That would work fine, just assighn outside of the DHCP pool in the router. Don't forget gateway and DNS as well

Back