Help with File Sharing on Vista?

Nirad9er

2[H]4U
Me and my brother were trying to share files on the network like you would in XP. He right-clicked the folder and went to share and at the "Choose people to share with" screen it asks you who you want to share with and I wasn't on the list. He went ahead and clicked share and when I went to double click his shared folder, it said I didn't have the permission.

Could someone please explain how to share files over a network in Vista like you would in XP?

thanks

there is an extra step in Vista thats activated by default...
There is a new area in Vista called the Network and Sharing Center (or something like that). Search for that...inside there is a bulleted list of whats active or not in your sharing system.

Check to make sure "password protected sharing" or something similar isn't turned on, it was on my Vista Biz install by default, once I turned the password feature off I could see my shared drive\

Here is a shot of the Network and Sharing section (note that password protected is ON by default) :

vistafp04.gif

Here is a better step-by-step :

Sharing Files and Printers in VISTA

Hi bun. I'm also having a problem. My main rig is a Vista 64 bit and my brother's is a Xp 32 bit and were using a netgear rp614 router.

The first time i ran vista it showed rp614. Later after that i messed with the options to enable file sharing :x and now i don't see my brother's pc unless it is on overview, but it isn't listed in networks for connected devices :/

We installed the program on the xp so vista can see it using the search network feature :/ and rebooted the pcs but still no go.

This is the settings I have and he still cant access my shared folder. It says he does not have the permission.

networksettingseq8.jpg

Are your 2 PC's on the same Workgroup? I think Vista defaults to WORKGROUP now instead of MSHOME as its workgroup, did either of you change that portion? Can the PC's even see each other (not drives...but just PC's)...trying to get an idea of where you guys are.

Are your 2 PC's on the same Workgroup? I think Vista defaults to WORKGROUP now instead of MSHOME as its workgroup, did either of you change that portion? Can the PC's even see each other (not drives...but just PC's)...trying to get an idea of where you guys are.

yes, when I go network under the start menu, both our computers show up, I can click his computer and he can click mine, but when we go to click each others shared folder, it will say we dont have permission.

Have you tried changing the network profile for the Linksys device to the "public" profile instead of the private one?

I DIDN'T NOTICE THIS !!!

I've setup the network on the Xp pc to use that workgroup so gonna restart and check it in a bit :D

Have you tried changing the network profile for the Linksys device to the "public" profile instead of the private one?

How do you do this ?

*update

Ok my bro can see my pc, and i can see his *only using view full map and his pc cannot be clicked on :/ ... So from what i gather your suppose to access the other pc through vista by going to view computers and devices :/ ?? I don't see the pc there :[ Just only my pc and the internet gateway.

Back