Help with error

Big Zee

n00b
Hey guys. I reinstalled my operating system yesterday (xp pro) and everything seemed to be working fine and than all of a sudden i get this error message saying something weird and it said my system would restart in 60 secs (and it gave a countdown). If i didn't shut down it would do it automatically. I restarted my computer and it was working fine until i got online and it did the same thing again. Does anyone know what could be the problem. I can't tell u the error message now b/c i don't remember ( i am at school right now) but it was something about runtime. Thanks in advance for the help

Zee

this sounds like that virus that use rpc exploit. can't remember the name. anyone??

Is this comp up to date with crtical updates? you have updates Antivirus software?

For the most part it is up to date with all the microsoft updates. However i do not use any sort of antivirus software. The problem that oakfan52 is talking about, does anyone know how i can fix that.

Originally posted by Big Zee
Hey guys. I reinstalled my operating system yesterday (xp pro) and everything seemed to be working fine and than all of a sudden i get this error message saying something weird and it said my system would restart in 60 secs (and it gave a countdown). If i didn't shut down it would do it automatically. I restarted my computer and it was working fine until i got online and it did the same thing again. Does anyone know what could be the problem. I can't tell u the error message now b/c i don't remember ( i am at school right now) but it was something about runtime. Thanks in advance for the help

Zee

You have been living under a rock haven't you....:eek:
Chill, just messing with you...:D
But what I mean by that is last year (about 3~4months ago) there was something called MSBlast (er) virus that was talked about just about in all media channels for weeks. Simply, your PC has been infected. You should NEVER connect a freshly installed Windows PC directly to any type of internet connection, especially broadband. You should either get a software firewall (Zone Alram is a good one) and install it first, or have your PC going through a router.

Some info on the Virus: http://news.com.com/2009-1002-5063226.html

...and how to remove it:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html

Have fun....

Mike

Actaully, as amazing as this sounds, you don't even need to install additional software to protect yourself against RPC. As much as I hate it, the Windows XP firewall protects against RPC, so until you get a real firewall (software or hardware), enable that, then enable your internet connection. Hopefully this will help others when they go to nuke their systems.

Originally posted by mzs_biteme

Damn, you beat me to the rock joke... ah well...

Originally posted by mzs_biteme
Mike

Lol. I did hear about the problem when it was all over the media. However i had no idea what it was b/c luckily i did not encounter this problem till now. But thanx for the info u posted earlier it was very helpful and it eliminated the problem.

Zee

That must have been really annoying. It never happend to me personally but i can imagine.

is that the dialoge box that comes up if you run "%WINDIR%\system32\shutdown.exe -r -t (number)"?
if so you can cancel it by running the same command, but with the -a flag only.
I am not big into windows virus's sorry. Zonealarm and a NAT keep me safe for the times i need windows for gaming.

Back