Help with current state of multi GPU games

SpeedyVV

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok, I lost track of the current state, actual current state of multi gpu game support.

Here is what I think I know:
- Single fast card is always better
- AMD currently does not support Crssfire in their latest cards/drivers.

Here is what I would like to know:
- all this DX12 multi gpu model this and that, Vulkan this and that all sounds great. But is there now any single game that will allow me to use my combination of 2xVega64 and 2xRX480?
- or any combination, like 2xVega64?

I haven't had any luck with Vega Crossfire (and I did a bit of searching through driver files in a hex editor to see if I could hack it back in, no joy).

2 RX 480s should work fine, just not in combination with Vega.

DX12/Vulkan mGPU in theory could work, but it may still be reliant on something in the driver. I tried RotTR in DX12 thinking it could use both Vegas but it did not.

I think multi-GPU is still important (despite the outcry otherwise) if you have a unique or fringe setup, not everyone is on a 1080p/1440p single monitor. For example 4K still stresses out a lot of games, even with a 1080 Ti. Or triple screen Surround/Eyefinity can easily blow through all the performance on 1 card.

I haven't had any luck with Vega Crossfire (and I did a bit of searching through driver files in a hex editor to see if I could hack it back in, no joy).

DX12/Vulkan mGPU in theory could work, but it may still be reliant on something in the driver. I tried RotTR in DX12 thinking it could use both Vegas but it did not.

I think multi-GPU is still important (despite the outcry otherwise) if you have a unique or fringe setup, not everyone is on a 1080p/1440p single monitor. For example 4K still stresses out a lot of games, even with a 1080 Ti. Or triple screen Surround/Eyefinity can easily blow through all the performance on 1 card.
That is exactly my situation. 4960x1600 PLP eyefinity.

Like I said I do know that if a single card meets your needs, then great.

Not my case.

So I got 2 vega64 hoping one day I will be able to game at max settings.

In the mean time it is still the best card for plp setup, and 2nd card comes in handy with mining.

Ok, I lost track of the current state, actual current state of multi gpu game support.

Here is what I think I know:
- Single fast card is always better
- AMD currently does not support Crssfire in their latest cards/drivers.

Here is what I would like to know:
- all this DX12 multi gpu model this and that, Vulkan this and that all sounds great. But is there now any single game that will allow me to use my combination of 2xVega64 and 2xRX480?
- or any combination, like 2xVega64?

I think the only game that support explicit mgpu it's ashes of the singularity. no other one, and still the scaling its well.. not so stellar.

Same here, I've two Vega's waiting to be crossfirered, hopefully they "port" back the current CF-support to Vega. I've a 5K screen and always use Reshade/enb where possible and multi-GPU is still badly needed to get a smooth experience

The state is dead besides a few novelty implementations because of prestige or sponsorship.

Any multiGPU focus and interconnect is moved or moving to compute.

As far as I'm aware, nvidia and amd pretty much stuck mgpu support onto game devs in dx12/vulkan. Looking at how games are released semi-broken more often than not, I personally have no belief that game devs will waste their time on the few people that use mgpu. Perhaps some, but I'd bet that mgpu support will get worse as we move on to dx12 and vulkan.

Volta Titan will probably be out in six months. Sounds like it'll be double the speed of my 1080 (and Vega)... get that. ;)

MultiGPU was rough at times at it's peak. I agree with these guys. It's obviously on it's way out the door.

Volta Titan will probably be out in six months. Sounds like it'll be double the speed of my 1080 (and Vega)... get that. ;)

MultiGPU was rough at times at it's peak. I agree with these guys. It's obviously on it's way out the door.

While my 1080 TI does 4K there are still games that fall under 60fps. Would say Titan Volta at his point.

While my 1080 TI does 4K there are still games that fall under 60fps. Would say Titan Volta at his point.
It's a moving target. By the time Volta comes, there will be new games that tax GPUs even more. It never ends (well, at least until 4K becomes the standard and devs actually optimize to hit that target).

It's a moving target. By the time Volta comes, there will be new games that tax GPUs even more. It never ends (well, at least until 4K becomes the standard and devs actually optimize to hit that target).

Maybe, but there are not enough new games that support SLI to make it worth the investment. I had a 3x 980Ti setup and just got frustrated. I'm now on a single 1080Ti and was considering a 2nd one, but decided it wasn't worth it. I'm going to upgrade to Volta when it comes out. I'm just going to go on a linear upgrade path.

SLI is dead as far as I'm concerned.

It's dead Jim.

The DX12 multi-GPU stuff was all marketing BS for Windows 10. Not happening.

And yet we see quite a bit of developer support....

I'll continue to maintain that the switch to DX12 has caused a bit of hiccup in support, and that it's likely to increase overall support for SLI/Crossfire over time. Every major engine developer is working on it and with DX12/Vulkan, game/content developers will be relying on engine developers more than ever.

I'm not having any issues now with slin1080ti. Working great for me. Every game I play is so damn smooth now. Plus nvidia just released a new driver with like 10 games added in with sli profile including player unknowns. I run sli in that awful unoptimkzed beauty of a game and while the engine isn't giving me higher frames the game feels mad smoother.

I'll continue to maintain that the switch to DX12 has caused a bit of hiccup in support, and that it's likely to increase overall support for SLI/Crossfire over time. Every major engine developer is working on it and with DX12/Vulkan, game/content developers will be relying on engine developers more than ever.

DX12 and mGPU was the last nail in the coffin. Essentially you ask developers to now spend 10x more money and time if that can do it to add multiGPU for the tiny niche crowd, not to mention the dread and complexity to go DX12. DX11.3 is there for a reason.

And remember, more than half of all gaming systems sold are now mobile. Its not gotten any easier to fund multiGPU implementations.

This.

DX12 and mGPU was the last nail in the coffin. Essentially you ask developers to now spend 10x more money and time if that can do it to add multiGPU for the tiny niche crowd, not to mention the dread and complexity to go DX12. DX11.3 is there for a reason.

And remember, more than half of all gaming systems sold are now mobile. Its not gotten any easier to fund multiGPU implementations.

You're asking engine developers to do it once and then 100 different games will have it inherently.

You're asking engine developers to do it once and then 100 different games will have it inherently.

Based upon my readings of DX12 materials it really doesn't look reasonable to do this in a general form at the engine level, at least not automatically. They may provide some tooling to help, but there is just too much wiggle room with what an app may do, and what the capabilities of the GPUs are.

Disclaimer - not an engine programmer.

I don't think we'll be seeing much of the features in the DX12 MGPU slides any time soon.

It probably made sense for devs back when Nvidia or AMD were doing a lot of the legwork with AFR.

I could see MGPU being reborn when the consoles are trying to drive 8K TVs in 10 years.

If it was just that easy, then almost all games would support SLI/CF today. Yet here we are.

Just played the Destiny 2 open beta- perfectly smooth with a pair of GTX970's.

I won't claim that 'almost all' game support SLI/CF, and will readily admit that MGPU support has been patched in after the fact for a number (or patched in for DX12 when shipping with working DX11 support), but support is still certainly widespread for current and newly released games.

Just played the Destiny 2 open beta- perfectly smooth with a pair of GTX970's.

I won't claim that 'almost all' game support SLI/CF, and will readily admit that MGPU support has been patched in after the fact for a number (or patched in for DX12 when shipping with working DX11 support), but support is still certainly widespread for current and newly released games.

Destiny 2 is a good example of it isn't it. Yet still sponsored by Nvidia to reach that point. If its not an AAA game or an game selling millions of copies the chance of mGPU support one way or the other is close to 0. And lets not mention it currently doesn't support CF.

Someone has to pay for it, and the desire to do so keeps decreasing for 2 reasons.
1. People moving to laptop gaming.
2. Extra cost, time and complexity without any return that keeps increasing.

Last edited:
I've had CF and SLI and it's just never been worth it to me with GPU utilization from the 2nd card being shit in a lot of games. I wish it weren't the case, believe me - kind of in a pickle right now running a 4k display waiting for Volta, but nVidia has no reason to push it being that Vega didn't come close to the Ti / Titan XP. I've got the build itch too, but I won't move until CFL / Volta. Hopefully sooner than later!

I've had CF and SLI and it's just never been worth it to me with GPU utilization from the 2nd card being shit in a lot of games. I wish it weren't the case, believe me - kind of in a pickle right now running a 4k display waiting for Volta, but nVidia has no reason to push it being that Vega didn't come close to the Ti / Titan XP. I've got the build itch too, but I won't move until CFL / Volta. Hopefully sooner than later!

You do realize that you just gave a reason for Nvidia to 'push it', right?

We can't run today's games reliably at 4k60- what about tomorrow's games at 4k120 and VR?

You do realize that you just gave a reason for Nvidia to 'push it', right?

We can't run today's games reliably at 4k60- what about tomorrow's games at 4k120 and VR?

Well hopefully that's the case and they won't delay for any reason other than "it's not ready" - I don't know what the percentage of their market is "Ready" to upgrade for Volta but I'm sure it's plenty of people.

Back