Help with Corsair H105 and Maximus 7 Formula, horrible temps

Vindicis

n00b
Hello all, I just installed an H105 on my i7-4790k (running stock) and ran Prime95 (small FFTs) and was horrified to see my temps hit 100C nearly instantly. I've got my pump on a fan header set to 100% max (it's running at a solid 1800ish RPM) and my rad fans are on a PWM header (they hit 100% speed as soon as the temps get over 50C). I've read a bit about some of the motherboards being too thin and needing washers, could this be my issue?

The pump was making a slight kind of vibration sound, but it was just the normal sound I hear so often in many cases that sounds like a very slight vibration with either a cheap case or fan. When I touched the pump the ever so slight vibration sound stopped (and the pump is definitely vibrating to the touch, also AISuite shows the pumps fan speed at 1800 RPM so I believe the pump is working). I tried to give all the thumbscrews a slight turn with my screwdriver. I did notice something that could be slightly alarming, there's a space (about an 1/8" gap) between the motherboard and the standoff. I'm going to try to get a better a pic but here's some rough ones for now. Any suggestions?

Here are my specs:
Intel Core i7-4790K
Asus MAXIMUS VII FORMULA
G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400
Corsair Air 540
3 Aerocool DS 120mm in front as intake, 1 Aerocool DS 124mm in rear as exhaust
2 Noctua NF-F12s mounted a pull intake on top

RAphQdL.png

a6VA1O1.jpg

5adWA3b.jpg

you can do a fast test to know if the problem its a loose block.. before start P95 with your finger push the block toward the CPU if the temps are lower then yes you should add some washers or O'rings to the backplate to force the block to do a better contact... if your unit have too much vibration in the block check if are for being loose, if not then RMA it. probably have a problem with the impeller or anything similar...

Hmm, I'll try to push the block when I get home this evening and see if I get better results. Thanks for the suggestion!

Uhh looks exactly like a loose block. Check your mounting, make sure it is correct.

I've reseated it twice (cleaning with iso and using new thermal compound each time). The screws have run out of threading, I can see it on the back. It's like the mobo is too thin or something odd.

Did you use the backplate from Corsair ? I know with the H50 they had them, and AFAIK they still do, not 100% on that though.

Yup, I used the backplate that came with the H105. The H105 is supposed to have a new mounting system based on what I read (not sure as I've never owned a previous Hydro cooler). I checked the parts list and even read the online install just to make sure, the only washers provided are for ones that go between the case fans and the rad/case.

did you tested pushing the block while running P95?. are you using the correct standoff? the intel 115X standoff are short the AMD standoff are a bit quite large, check that..

I'm still at work for another couple of hours so I haven't been able to test just yet but I will as soon as I get home. I definitely used the 115x standoffs. The AMD standoffs are black while the Intel standoffs are more of a gunmetal color. LGA 2011 have a long screw thread on one side and a short one on the other while the 115x are even on both sides.

OK, I did the test two more times, once without touching the pump and once while pushing the pump. I set my fan speeds on max before both tests and as I said, pump runs max all the time. Didn't seem to have much impact unless you really have to push the heck out of it.
Hands Off:
BOPHMx4.png

With me pushing the pump:
JPQg7Fg.png

Fan speed during both tests (case fans are hooked up to fan controller)
ap7cYnL.png

Last edited:
The block should be on very snug, like to the point you think your bending the board sun (Typicaly same for most coolers), probalby ahrder than you can press with your hand.

I was kind of skeptical that I could push it hard enough to make a big difference but hey, at this point I'm willing to try anything! I guess I'll take it off again and try with washers. I knew I should have just stuck with my old trusty Noctua NH-D14 but I just had to try something different. I really appreciate all the help.

Just an update, I added some washers to the back of the motherboard and it initially "looked" a lot better. The standoffs were actually flush with the motherboard. Prime95 say otherwise, however. I noticed there is STILL a small gap when I tightened everything up.
r4N48Zo.png

nVm0Vxu.jpg

zeKWtrV.jpg

you have two choices, RMA the cooler or RMA the processor.. put on the stock intel cooler, and test.. temps should increase to critical 100+C when thats the case under stock clocks intel RMA chips very very faster without even question too much... or RMA the cooler and try again, if the problem persist then RMA the chip..

I went ahead and had Amazon send me a replacement unit but one final crazy question, if I may. I was reading a few other threads and saw several posts on not using Prime95 and Haswell as it will just cause nearly all of them to max out nearly instantly. Some of the posts were 6 months old so I don't know if this is true any longer as I've also read Prime95 has been updated. I ran the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and "only" got 68-70C max on that test. At this point I'm happy it's not 100C but is 68-70C really all that better considering I'm running at stock speeds right now? Does anyone else use Prime95 on a 4970k with a Corsair AIO?

well IXTU for sure put less stress in a CPU.. after 30minutes of test my hottest core peak at 77C in IXTU at 4.5ghz while in p95 it peak at 84C at stock temps you should be still much lower with a h105 which its better cooler than my h100i.

what voltage are you getting during prime95??

It uses avx and thus activates extra voltage on the chip due to intel engineering specs if you use adaptive vcore setting. It could be the chip is running at 1.3V or higher under prime95.

You should've purchased something else, I'll never in my life buy or read another review on any Corsair or ASUS product again. You can start by removing that AI Sute 3 crap followed by purchasing other CPU Cooler. The way I look at it, is that you want to run AIO coolers, go out and buy yourself a custom DIY water cooling kit, anywhere from $700-800 dollars. When you done with that get the blow torch and burn that ASUS motherboard up. I purchased the Maximus VII hero and never in my life did I feel the way I felt when first running is crap never again I done with ASUS. Burn in Hell!!

PhoneyVirus

You should've purchased something else, I'll never in my life buy or read another review on any Corsair or ASUS product again. You can start by removing that AI Sute 3 crap followed by purchasing other CPU Cooler. The way I look at it, is that you want to run AIO coolers, go out and buy yourself a custom DIY water cooling kit, anywhere from $700-800 dollars. When you done with that get the blow torch and burn that ASUS motherboard up. I purchased the Maximus VII hero and never in my life did I feel the way I felt when first running is crap never again I done with ASUS. Burn in Hell!!

PhoneyVirus

Many of the AIO coolers are great products, You sound like a biased fanboy with your lame, biased rhetoric. Since you had a bad experience, maybe because you may not know what you are doing...you slam two of the biggest, well known, popular brands out there.

You are making yourself look bad.

what voltage are you getting during prime95??

It uses avx and thus activates extra voltage on the chip due to intel engineering specs if you use adaptive vcore setting. It could be the chip is running at 1.3V or higher under prime95.

It's 1.265V
v8r4jlq.png

Last edited:
Many of the AIO coolers are great products, You sound like a biased fanboy with your lame, biased rhetoric. Since you had a bad experience, maybe because you may not know what you are doing...you slam two of the biggest, well known, popular brands out there.

You are making yourself look bad.

Well if I'm making myself look bad, I don't wanna see what looks good. I'm not going to high hack someone else is thread ranting about ASUS and Corsair products, but I'll be more then glad to give you a little incite of the problems I encountered along the way that turn my Dream Machine 2014 into a nightmare.

The Corsair H100i AIO liquid cooler, were do I begin with this piece of crap. Don’t this make me mad just thinking about it. First off don’t install this AIO liquid cooler at all, don’t even buy it. It was only a few hours ago that I completely remove all their buggy software and the mess of wiring that came with their piece of crap. Not only do you have to fight with the AIO cooler but I had to cut off one of the fan corners because you paid $431 for a case that apparently should hold every piece of hardware you could possible throw at it. Turns out again that the Cooler Master Cosmos II case ant worth what their charging for it, waste of space and money.

Can’t really blame Cooler Master all that much though, it was because of ASUS motherboard and their stupid EPS/ATXv12 8-pin connector that was on the edge of the motherboard, that it brought up in causing more then just a headache a nightmare. Out came the Hack saw blade and off with its head is what I said, with that the cooler dropped in place letting me screw it in for the seventh time. Yeah seven times I had to remove this damn cooler just to get at something on the motherboard, I would usually say install it last but for this piece of crap burn it out back in the fire pit or like I said on their forums crush the aluminum and bring it to the scrap yard to get back some of your money.

Now that it was install came the software, one quick flick through their forum and you’ll really see what kinda of support these beeping people have. Corrupted Firmware no way of rolling back, software complete mess and just one big annoyance. Here’s what I said on their forums when someone else asked this question.

Hi, would like to know if anyone has used this corsair link Version 2.7.5332 using a corsair H80i water cooling kit. If yes have you run into any problem. Thank You.

Funny I had problems ever since I ran ASUS Fan Xpert on v2.6.xxxx one fan just keeps spinning up while the other stays at 800rpm again there’s something going on with ASUS Ai suite 3, even after I uninstalled it. Hope this version works and there’s no stupid corsair logo in the middle of the screen when first starting your machine because I hate it and want it gone. Plus WOULD YOU LIKE TO SAVE NO! STOP asking me this every time I close the application please. Oh and start minimize too and stop popping up on screen even after I told it to start minimize WOULD YOU LIKE TO SAVE YES! Opens it and close it without touching anything WOULD YOU LIKE TO SAVE

WOULD YOU LIKE TO SAVE!
WOULD YOU LIKE TO SAVE!

NO! Omg NO! C’mon NO! really NO! just stop already Please. I never been so annoyed by a piece software in my life, because the above is what I had to see and click through for the last four days. This version don’t fix what experience above, I’m out of here, and will never purchase another Corsair Product as long as I live. Well that’s what I said and well be doing from here on out, no more Corsair products for me never, I don’t care what they have, I’ll never purchase or read another review if it has any Corsair crap into never!

Here’s one more to go along with the ASUS Fan Xpert the question is, Will the Corsair Link software work reliability with the AI Suite software that comes with the Asus Maximus VI Formula ROG MBs?

No they don’t work well together you will get random errors per what was explained above. I believe at one point Corsair was recommending you do not use this software with Link. I am biased though I had a ton of problems with the LINK and ripped it out of my system and now use the ASUS software to control all my fans.

Exactly what I did because their both crap and completely unreliable to begin with, like I said above stay way from Corsair products. I even hated Maximum PC for giving this piece of hardware a verdict worth buying, I was going to cancel my subscription. Yeah that’s how much I’m stating to hate machines serious it can’t get any worst at this point.

Here's just a portion of what I had to deal with, don't get me wrong Corsair do make excellent Ram and that's just about it, for ASUS Networking and Monitors.

PhoneyVirus :cool:

Well if I'm making myself look bad, I don't wanna see what looks good. I'm not going to high hack someone else is thread ranting about ASUS and Corsair products, but I'll be more then glad to give you a little incite of the problems I encountered along the way that turn my Dream Machine 2014 into a nightmare.

The Corsair H100i AIO liquid cooler, were do I begin with this piece of crap. Don’t this make me mad just thinking about it. First off don’t install this AIO liquid cooler at all, don’t even buy it. It was only a few hours ago that I completely remove all their buggy software and the mess of wiring that came with their piece of crap. Not only do you have to fight with the AIO cooler but I had to cut off one of the fan corners because you paid $431 for a case that apparently should hold every piece of hardware you could possible throw at it. Turns out again that the Cooler Master Cosmos II case ant worth what their charging for it, waste of space and money.

Can’t really blame Cooler Master all that much though, it was because of ASUS motherboard and their stupid EPS/ATXv12 8-pin connector that was on the edge of the motherboard, that it brought up in causing more then just a headache a nightmare. Out came the Hack saw blade and off with its head is what I said, with that the cooler dropped in place letting me screw it in for the seventh time. Yeah seven times I had to remove this damn cooler just to get at something on the motherboard, I would usually say install it last but for this piece of crap burn it out back in the fire pit or like I said on their forums crush the aluminum and bring it to the scrap yard to get back some of your money.

Now that it was install came the software, one quick flick through their forum and you’ll really see what kinda of support these beeping people have. Corrupted Firmware no way of rolling back, software complete mess and just one big annoyance. Here’s what I said on their forums when someone else asked this question.

Hi, would like to know if anyone has used this corsair link Version 2.7.5332 using a corsair H80i water cooling kit. If yes have you run into any problem. Thank You.

Funny I had problems ever since I ran ASUS Fan Xpert on v2.6.xxxx one fan just keeps spinning up while the other stays at 800rpm again there’s something going on with ASUS Ai suite 3, even after I uninstalled it. Hope this version works and there’s no stupid corsair logo in the middle of the screen when first starting your machine because I hate it and want it gone. Plus WOULD YOU LIKE TO SAVE NO! STOP asking me this every time I close the application please. Oh and start minimize too and stop popping up on screen even after I told it to start minimize WOULD YOU LIKE TO SAVE YES! Opens it and close it without touching anything WOULD YOU LIKE TO SAVE

WOULD YOU LIKE TO SAVE!
WOULD YOU LIKE TO SAVE!

NO! Omg NO! C’mon NO! really NO! just stop already Please. I never been so annoyed by a piece software in my life, because the above is what I had to see and click through for the last four days. This version don’t fix what experience above, I’m out of here, and will never purchase another Corsair Product as long as I live. Well that’s what I said and well be doing from here on out, no more Corsair products for me never, I don’t care what they have, I’ll never purchase or read another review if it has any Corsair crap into never!

Here’s one more to go along with the ASUS Fan Xpert the question is, Will the Corsair Link software work reliability with the AI Suite software that comes with the Asus Maximus VI Formula ROG MBs?

No they don’t work well together you will get random errors per what was explained above. I believe at one point Corsair was recommending you do not use this software with Link. I am biased though I had a ton of problems with the LINK and ripped it out of my system and now use the ASUS software to control all my fans.

Exactly what I did because their both crap and completely unreliable to begin with, like I said above stay way from Corsair products. I even hated Maximum PC for giving this piece of hardware a verdict worth buying, I was going to cancel my subscription. Yeah that’s how much I’m stating to hate machines serious it can’t get any worst at this point.

Here's just a portion of what I had to deal with, don't get me wrong Corsair do make excellent Ram and that's just about it, for ASUS Networking and Monitors.

PhoneyVirus :cool:

oohh yes, this its what i call a ignorant troll... based in his ignorance to build machines and lack of knowledge about software to blame all brands, whats next?.

I not trolling, it's just what I experience with the software and for the record I build may machines in my life time, so much so that I don't fix anyone's machine anymore or should I say Laptop anymore. I done with machines, you wouldn't pay me enough to continue on fixing machines for a living. I was even going back to school for IT or Web programing mark up language until I took a huge step back and relies that the industry is headed in a one way lane to smart phones, laptops, net books, tables etc you get the idea, so with that said I not trolling and this will be the last comment on this topic. Sorry!

PhoneyVirus

I do agree, I used to work on computers for extra income. But no more. It's not worth my time to try and save someone's rig/emails/photos/life story when they continuously infest the rig due to stupidity and ignorant Web practices, and then once you have charged them a fair fee the first time, they expect everything else from there on out to be "free warranty" since I was "the last one to work on it".

LOL but I digress. Sorry you had so much trouble, but it seems to be an exception rather than the norm. I love my H80i and the software is flawless in my instance.

I do agree, I used to work on computers for extra income. But no more. It's not worth my time to try and save someone's rig/emails/photos/life story when they continuously infest the rig due to stupidity and ignorant Web practices, and then once you have charged them a fair fee the first time, they expect everything else from there on out to be "free warranty" since I was "the last one to work on it".

LOL but I digress. Sorry you had so much trouble, but it seems to be an exception rather than the norm. I love my H80i and the software is flawless in my instance.

Nice to hear that man, everyone has their own experience with the hardware they purchase. When I read what you said

"It's not worth my time to try and save someone's rig/emails/photos/life story when they continuously infest the rig due to stupidity and ignorant Web practices."

Your so right, Thank You for saying it in that manner, it probable wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't the same questions ask over and over again.

Now lets try and fix this guys problem, if it ant already fixed.

PhoneyVirus

Well in a nutshell, temp problems should be easy to fix.

If the pump is working and the fans too, then it's down to either the block contact or the heatspreader to die interface. Barring software not reporting correctly, but a quick check using Coretemp will show this easily.

We are all passionate about or hobby, that's why we are members on the best computer forum on the net. I guess I tend to jump on someone that posts a bad experience, when in reality I know these things happen. Sorry I inflamed your post. Hope you found a better solution.

I've got a new unit from Amazon, gonna toss it in tonight. I also uninstalled that damn AISuite3 because it seems to have bumped the vcore WAY too high without telling me what it was doing. Granted this is likely user error on my part as I've always used MSI or Gigabyte so AISuite is new to me. After I uninstalled it, I noticed my vcore was MUCH better. The temps are a little better but still too high for my taste on stock settings. Thanks everyone for all the ideas and tips, I really appreciate it!
Gh2zcYT.png

I also uninstalled that damn AISuite3 because it seems to have bumped the vcore WAY too high without telling me what it was doing.

See this is the problem, I wanted to have control over the hardware I own not fight with the application because it's unreliable, I wouldn't trust AI Suite 3 anyway. you did right to uninstall it, but there's a catch you did remove it but It's still there, have a look under services and you'll discover more then you thought.

To completely remove it your going to need AI Suite 3 remover or crap cleaner I call it. Jump on ASUS is website or the Rog forums to fine it and wait three minutes for the page to load then you should be fine. Oh and when you do, don't be surprise it removes more then just the AI Suite 3 services. At this point your better off reinstalling windows and starting over with no crapware installed.

For Corsair you may want to make sure the screws that hold the back plate are fully titan, because when you unscrew it from the top it removes it from the back plate.

Problem after Problem no buddy needs to deal with such crap when we all know what were doing, I'm sorry I can feel what your going through, seriously though I can.

PhoneyVirus

I also uninstalled that damn AISuite3 because it seems to have bumped the vcore WAY too high without telling me what it was doing.

See this is the problem, I wanted to have control over the hardware I own not fight with the application because it's unreliable, I wouldn't trust AI Suite 3 anyway. you did right to uninstall it, but there's a catch you did remove it but It's still there, have a look under services and you'll discover more then you thought.

To completely remove it your going to need AI Suite 3 remover or crap cleaner I call it. Jump on ASUS is website or the Rog forums to fine it and wait three minutes for the page to load then you should be fine. Oh and when you do, don't be surprise it removes more then just the AI Suite 3 services. At this point your better off reinstalling windows and starting over with no crapware installed.

For Corsair you may want to make sure the screws that hold the back plate are fully titan, because when you unscrew it from the top it removes it from the back plate.

Problem after Problem no buddy needs to deal with such crap when we all know what were doing, I'm sorry I can feel what your going through, seriously though I can.

PhoneyVirus

Yup, you are correct. I always do a quick check for services still running after I uninstall something and I caught those 2 that got leftover. I googled and found the aisuite uninstaller but thanks for the heads up.
It looks like it was the silly fan tuner of all things that bumped up my vcore, not to mention making the fan header that was running my pump (which I set to DC mode in the UEFI) and making it PWM. Thankfully, I was watching the fan speeds and caught it trying to slow the pump down to 500 RPM so I could fix it right away. That software is definitely not going back on.

I personally found out that these cpu's don't benefit from water cooling unless you delid the cpu, and if you are using the fan connector from the mobo make sure to disable the PWM in the bios for the pump

I have the 4770k and the same cooler, and I only saw major temp improvements after the delid over regular heatsinks.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=34053183&postcount=570

Conclusion: The Intel stock CPU TIM is not the reason Ivy Bridge/Haswell's run hot, and replacing the Intel stock CPU TIM is not the reason a delidded Ivy/Haswell Bridge run so much cooler - the benefits of delidding are entirely due to the resultant reduction in gap height between the CPU silicon die and the underside of the IHS.

if you decide to delid, just clean that black glue from the DIE and the IHS and just use MX-4 thermal paste for the die, do it at your own risk.

there are my results with the Corsair H105 : http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1820031&highlight=

my 2 cents

Last edited:
I disagree to some extent. My 4670k at 4.5 ghz dropped temp majorly with water, and then another 7-8 degrees with the washers added to the backplate. Prime95 after an hour sees @80c-82c max. I am pretty happy with that since I was hitting 90c prior to any tweaking of the H80i. Even the Intel Burn Test stays mid 80's and that software is brutal on temps.

Edit: I mean I understand what you say, removing the stock TIM and reapplying it carefully works because the thinner layer does indeed reduce the gap. However I don't feel it is worth delidding in my case.

Hey guys I have a very similar problem - 4790k with Maximus VII Formula, no overclock, default bios setting and I get mid-30C when idle and over 90C when performing prime95. I also get mid 60s when running RealBench. I checked after reading this and I also have gaps between backplate screws and the jacket. Should I unmount it and remount it with washers? Or should I even be worried about it? It's my first time and I've been frustrated about this for a long time now..

Ugh... I dunno I might be in a similar boat... would be great to hear how people are dealing with this.

I'm the OP and I ended up adding washers after talking to Corsair. I can run Prime95 now at around 78C after an hour. So I guess the washers fixed my issue, I just don't like it.

Comforting to hear the OP (who has same CPU, mobo, and cooler as I do) did in fact benefit from using the washers. I will go and try it out this weekend. OP, how many washers did you use btw? Did you use 1 per corners or did you use 2 per corners?

Comforting to hear the OP (who has same CPU, mobo, and cooler as I do) did in fact benefit from using the washers. I will go and try it out this weekend. OP, how many washers did you use btw? Did you use 1 per corners or did you use 2 per corners?
I just used one washer per corner.

I just used one washer per corner.

Awesome. It doesn't have to be nylon right? Can I go ahead and use rubber washers instead? Also how thick of washers are needed to fill that gap up? Thanks for your help, it really helps us.

Back