Help with choosing Between True OS or FreeBSD especially for final results of Lian-Li D8000 build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need help with choosing between either TrueOS or FreeBSD for all purposes especially for my final results of my Lian-Li D8000 build because last I check there was one major concern I had, which was that the FreeBSD documentation said ACPI (Advanced Power Configuration Interface) is not an exact science and I don't know if the TrueOS documentation said the same thing that I converted to pdf to later convert back into a pdf with page numbers considering the wiki doesn't have page numbers as the wiki not having page numbers makes finding what I need to know more difficult for offline or physical real world use. The reason I ask is that if ACPI ins't an exact science according to the FreeBSD documentation from the wiki then does that mean FreeBSD's implantation of ACPI is risky or not guarateed to work or cause problems compared to other Operating System especially TrueOS or basically, which version or fork of UNIX is going to have an implementation of ACPI that is just going to work in terms of TrueOS vs. FreeBSD when I finally get around to implementing it on the Lian-Li D8000 build as my highest end workstation build or partial mainframe use or whatever TrueOS or FreeBSD is good for considering IRIX would be better for graphics workstation use except Silicon Graphics discontinued it and IRIX probably or definitely only runs on proprietary Silicon Graphics workstations that it was last capable of running on.

I say this because I still need to learn all of FreeBSD features and/or now TrueOS's because I still need to buy a seperate or updated liscense to a virtual machine player until I get the Lian-Li D8000 build complete and even after I get the build complete, which will be with VMware fusion and VMware player because I'm having less trouble with getting VMware to be more widely excepted across all major platforms of UNIX, LInux, Mac, and Windows even compared to virtualbox that won't let me mount a usb flash drive just like microsoft's hyper-v. I say problem mounting a usb flash drive to hyber-v because hyper-v won't let you do it by default without a lot of frustrating tinkering that I still never figured out or have been shown how to do currectly yet let alone implement. As for the problem with mounting a usb flash drive with virtual box the problem was with virtual box accepting a usb 3.0 or usb 2.0 flash drive at least on My Dell M6800 Mobile workstation due to it only detecting my usb 2.0 or usb 3.0 ports at usb 1.0 for some reason, so the usb flash drive(s) just wouldn't mount at all for me to get my files off the virtual machine to back them up except through email or google drive regardless of what I tried or was able to implement.

Also, if you understand how frustrating it can be when an Operating System requires ACPI like Windows ME if not Windows 98 as first home or home production or home use operating system to do so in terms of ACPI supported Operating Systems and how if your computer doesn't support ACPI instead of just APM (Advanced Power Management) as well as how apparently when I had this problem with an Iwill VD133 motherboard build for some reason that wasn't saving driver updates or installation for either the motherboard or the Linksys network card or both you would know what I'm talking about. So far the build has a Gigabyte 7PESH3 Intel socket 2011v2 platform motherboard, two Intel 2011v2 2603v2 processor without heatsink at the moment, one PCI express PNY Nvidia K420 Quadro graphics card with 2 GB of GDDR3 or GDDR5 graphic memory, and one Areca ARC-1264-16IL Raid Card, two LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray either DVD reader/writer combo drive or Writer Drive, One BDXL Writer Drive, and no RAM or system memory at the moment or power supplies at the moment either for the bare minimal parts I was able to supply for the build. I plan too use either two 750 watt Seasonic or 750 watt Corsair Platinum 80 Plus rated power supplies with this build as it is the best I can do with this case and is all I need to supply it with enough internal modular plugs for all component connections without going over the 1500 watt maximum wattage of a standard 15 amp three prong plug outlet.

Yes I did say I wanted this build to use AMD EPYC or was considering AMD EPYC instead of Intel especially Intel Xeon Scalable, but the AMD fans and other forum member gave me too much hassle or ridiculed me so much that I closed the thread considering nobody has tried this before and that only one guy said he would try it just to spit me and they recommending AMD Threadripper and said to sell the case. The forum member just didn't seem to understand my honest mistake in accidentally choosing the Supermicro AMD Opteron based H8QGI motherboard that was SWTX form factor for a case this size that Supermicro hasn't made an SWTX form factor motherboard for Intel base processor, since the socket 603/604 based Xeon's for the Supermicro P4QH6/P4QH8 motherboards and the Supermicro SC850P4 chassis I had prior that influenced this build heavily and is one of the reasons I want to build a Computer like this or this size if not other reasons, so please actually try to help this time and don't ridicule as that is meant for general mayhem anyway.

I recommend an easier chassis. This gets way too complicated. Try a generic 20 dollar one instead with a preinstalled OS.

Here we go again.

I need help with choosing between either TrueOS or FreeBSD for all purposes especially for my final results of my Lian-Li D8000 build because last I check there was one major concern I had, which was that the FreeBSD documentation said ACPI (Advanced Power Configuration Interface) is not an exact science and I don't know if the TrueOS documentation said the same thing that I converted to pdf to later convert back into a pdf with page numbers considering the wiki doesn't have page numbers as the wiki not having page numbers makes finding what I need to know more difficult for offline or physical real world use. The reason I ask is that if ACPI ins't an exact science according to the FreeBSD documentation from the wiki then does that mean FreeBSD's implantation of ACPI is risky or not guarateed to work or cause problems compared to other Operating System especially TrueOS or basically, which version or fork of UNIX is going to have an implementation of ACPI that is just going to work in terms of TrueOS vs. FreeBSD when I finally get around to implementing it on the Lian-Li D8000 build as my highest end workstation build or partial mainframe use or whatever TrueOS or FreeBSD is good for considering IRIX would be better for graphics workstation use except Silicon Graphics discontinued it and IRIX probably or definitely only runs on proprietary Silicon Graphics workstations that it was last capable of running on.

First off, what chassis you are using has nothing to do with an OS choice. I don't know why you even brought it up beyond the fact that you have an unhealthy fetish for that case. When I see your posts, I can only imagine a guy in a gimp suit caressing that case and trying to figure out where to mount the Fleshlight. Anyway, back on topic. We aren't even out of the first collection of run on sentences (that is not a paragraph) before we run into your first example of incoherent rambling. Your case is irrelevant here. Your tirade about IRIX and Silicon Graphics has nothing to do with anything. Again, why do you do this? Your posts would be much easier to read and you'd be much more likely to get useful answers to your questions if you would simply stick to the relevant information and not go off about things that haven't existed, nor mattered in 10 years.

I say this because I still need to learn all of FreeBSD features and/or now TrueOS's because I still need to buy a seperate or updated liscense to a virtual machine player until I get the Lian-Li D8000 build complete and even after I get the build complete, which will be with VMware fusion and VMware player because I'm having less trouble with getting VMware to be more widely excepted across all major platforms of UNIX, LInux, Mac, and Windows even compared to virtualbox that won't let me mount a usb flash drive just like microsoft's hyper-v. I say problem mounting a usb flash drive to hyber-v because hyper-v won't let you do it by default without a lot of frustrating tinkering that I still never figured out or have been shown how to do currectly yet let alone implement. As for the problem with mounting a usb flash drive with virtual box the problem was with virtual box accepting a usb 3.0 or usb 2.0 flash drive at least on My Dell M6800 Mobile workstation due to it only detecting my usb 2.0 or usb 3.0 ports at usb 1.0 for some reason, so the usb flash drive(s) just wouldn't mount at all for me to get my files off the virtual machine to back them up except through email or google drive regardless of what I tried or was able to implement.

Normally, I can make some sense of what your trying to say but this collection of run on sentences eludes me. Licensing doesn't seem relevant. Something about Hyper-V? Is Windows the host OS? What the hell is going on here? You mentioned some Dell, its probably irrelevant.

Also, if you understand how frustrating it can be when an Operating System requires ACPI like Windows ME if not Windows 98 as first home or home production or home use operating system to do so in terms of ACPI supported Operating Systems and how if your computer doesn't support ACPI instead of just APM (Advanced Power Management) as well as how apparently when I had this problem with an Iwill VD133 motherboard build for some reason that wasn't saving driver updates or installation for either the motherboard or the Linksys network card or both you would know what I'm talking about. So far the build has a Gigabyte 7PESH3 Intel socket 2011v2 platform motherboard, two Intel 2011v2 2603v2 processor without heatsink at the moment, one PCI express PNY Nvidia K420 Quadro graphics card with 2 GB of GDDR3 or GDDR5 graphic memory, and one Areca ARC-1264-16IL Raid Card, two LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray either DVD reader/writer combo drive or Writer Drive, One BDXL Writer Drive, and no RAM or system memory at the moment or power supplies at the moment either for the bare minimal parts I was able to supply for the build. I plan too use either two 750 watt Seasonic or 750 watt Corsair Platinum 80 Plus rated power supplies with this build as it is the best I can do with this case and is all I need to supply it with enough internal modular plugs for all component connections without going over the 1500 watt maximum wattage of a standard 15 amp three prong plug outlet.

The lack of proper sentence structure makes figuring out where to quote you and address specific points difficult. Windows 9x (which includes Windows ME AKA, Millennium Edition, AKA Mistake Edition) is totally irrelevant. Your IWill VD133 motherboard is irrelevant, something...something Linkysys is irrelevant. Something something ancient hardware instead of a modern and faster Threadripper........

That's all I got out of that.

Yes I did say I wanted this build to use AMD EPYC or was considering AMD EPYC instead of Intel especially Intel Xeon Scalable, but the AMD fans and other forum member gave me too much hassle or ridiculed me so much that I closed the thread considering nobody has tried this before and that only one guy said he would try it just to spit me and they recommending AMD Threadripper and said to sell the case. The forum member just didn't seem to understand my honest mistake in accidentally choosing the Supermicro AMD Opteron based H8QGI motherboard that was SWTX form factor for a case this size that Supermicro hasn't made an SWTX form factor motherboard for Intel base processor, since the socket 603/604 based Xeon's for the Supermicro P4QH6/P4QH8 motherboards and the Supermicro SC850P4 chassis I had prior that influenced this build heavily and is one of the reasons I want to build a Computer like this or this size if not other reasons, so please actually try to help this time and don't ridicule as that is meant for general mayhem anyway.

No, actually you didn't. You kept trying to make a case for Threadripper not being a proper workstation configuration and that you needed to build either some Xeon Scalable system, or AMD Epyc system you couldn't afford. You also talked about using old ass dual Xeon processor configurations that would get trashed by a desktop Ryzen 7 2700X in most cases. That seems to be what you settled on because you couldn't afford to do what you wanted, but still had to satisfy your dual CPU fetish. Because, a modern Threadripper setup wasn't worthy of your beloved Lian-Li case.

I'm changing my recommendation. You need to build a water cooled Ryzen 9 3900X. It will absolutely smoke whatever else you can afford to put in there if it uses two processors. It will smoke it at probably anything you'd ever actually do. You would be better served by an Intel Core i9 9900K on a workstation type motherboard (they do exist) than you would be by those ancient and extremely slow Xeon E5-2603 v2 processors. You have two quad core CPU's with a total of eight threads between them at 1.80GHz. These will get out run by even midrange desktop processors. Your obsession with going dual processor just to see two sockets in the machine is seriously not helping you. Stop the madness.

Shut up B00nie, take the cheap $20 dollar chassis and shove it.

My point is B00nie I have my two Dell Precision T1700 with CRU mobile rack for this that I could just get new hard drives and drive carriers for simpler testing of TrueOS and/or FreeBSD before going live with it on the Lian-Li D8000 build once it's completed, which I will and I don't want or shouldn't need to spend $20 on cheap chassis for another new build I should need as well as if the T1700's die or something should happend to them I plan to either replace them or upgrade to Dell Precision T3620's or if I have build something like the Precision or Optiplex mini-tower line if I can considering I did see a computer case very similar to those Dell cases on Newegg.
It was just a friendly advice. Too bad if you can't take one.

My point is B00nie I have my two Dell Precision T1700 with CRU mobile racks that have removable drive carriers for this that I could just get new hard drives and drive carriers for simpler testing of TrueOS and/or FreeBSD before going live with it on the Lian-Li D8000 build once it's completed, which I will and I don't want or shouldn't need to spend $20 on cheap chassis for another new build I should need as well as if the T1700's die or something should happen to them I plan to either replace them or upgrade to Dell Precision T3620's or if I have build something like the Precision or Optiplex mini-tower line if I can considering I did see a computer case very similar to those Dell cases on Newegg.

My point is B00nie I have my two Dell Precision T1700 with CRU mobile rack for this that I could just get new hard drives and drive carriers for simpler testing of TrueOS and/or FreeBSD before going live with it on the Lian-Li D8000 build once it's completed, which I will and I don't want or shouldn't need to spend $20 on cheap chassis for another new build I should need as well as if the T1700's die or something should happend to them I plan to either replace them or upgrade to Dell Precision T3620's or if I have build something like the Precision or Optiplex mini-tower line if I can considering I did see a computer case very similar to those Dell cases on Newegg.

My point is B00nie I have my two Dell Precision T1700 with CRU mobile racks that have removable drive carriers for this that I could just get new hard drives and drive carriers for simpler testing of TrueOS and/or FreeBSD before going live with it on the Lian-Li D8000 build once it's completed, which I will and I don't want or shouldn't need to spend $20 on cheap chassis for another new build I should need as well as if the T1700's die or something should happen to them I plan to either replace them or upgrade to Dell Precision T3620's or if I have build something like the Precision or Optiplex mini-tower line if I can considering I did see a computer case very similar to those Dell cases on Newegg.

Quoting two responses and cutting and pasting the test is unnecessary. Also, learn to take a joke. He does have a point though. You don't have to be a slave to your fetish for this one Lian-Li case. You can simply replace it with something that you feel doesn't deserve a dual processor board so bad that you end up throwing in bargain basement second hand hardware that's over six years old into it. Hardware that would get destroyed in any test by a mid-range eight core CPU made today from either AMD or Intel. In fact, what you've got there would get destroyed by a five year old ASRock X99-WS with an Intel Core i7 5960X at stock speeds. That combination could probably be had relatively cheaply, and that's not a gaming motherboard.

I think the OP is a neural network training itself to troll forums on behalf of Lian Li.

Otherwise a normal human would just try both OSes on a spare HDD and answer the questions directly.

I think the OP is a neural network training itself to troll forums on behalf of Lian Li.

Otherwise a normal human would just try both OSes on a spare HDD and answer the questions directly.

A normal human would have taken reasonable recommendations from a community of people with vast hardware knowledge and not built something so ridiculously slow based on a "fetish" to see two CPU sockets in that case. A case I might add, doesn't even have a window in the side of it.

Here we go again.

First off, what chassis you are using has nothing to do with an OS choice. I don't know why you even brought it up beyond the fact that you have an unhealthy fetish for that case. When I see your posts, I can only imagine a guy in a gimp suit caressing that case and trying to figure out where to mount the Fleshlight. Anyway, back on topic. We aren't even out of the first collection of run on sentences (that is not a paragraph) before we run into your first example of incoherent rambling. Your case is irrelevant here. Your tirade about IRIX and Silicon Graphics has nothing to do with anything. Again, why do you do this? Your posts would be much easier to read and you'd be much more likely to get useful answers to your questions if you would simply stick to the relevant information and not go off about things that haven't existed, nor mattered in 10 years.

Normally, I can make some sense of what your trying to say but this collection of run on sentences eludes me. Licensing doesn't seem relevant. Something about Hyper-V? Is Windows the host OS? What the hell is going on here? You mentioned some Dell, its probably irrelevant.

The lack of proper sentence structure makes figuring out where to quote you and address specific points difficult. Windows 9x (which includes Windows ME AKA, Millennium Edition, AKA Mistake Edition) is totally irrelevant. Your IWill VD133 motherboard is irrelevant, something...something Linkysys is irrelevant. Something something ancient hardware instead of a modern and faster Threadripper........

That's all I got out of that.

No, actually you didn't. You kept trying to make a case for Threadripper not being a proper workstation configuration and that you needed to build either some Xeon Scalable system, or AMD Epyc system you couldn't afford. You also talked about using old ass dual Xeon processor configurations that would get trashed by a desktop Ryzen 7 2700X in most cases. That seems to be what you settled on because you couldn't afford to do what you wanted, but still had to satisfy your dual CPU fetish. Because, a modern Threadripper setup wasn't worthy of your beloved Lian-Li case.

I'm changing my recommendation. You need to build a water cooled Ryzen 9 3900X. It will absolutely smoke whatever else you can afford to put in there if it uses two processors. It will smoke it at probably anything you'd ever actually do. You would be better served by an Intel Core i9 9900K on a workstation type motherboard (they do exist) than you would be by those ancient and extremely slow Xeon E5-2603 v2 processors. You have two quad core CPU's with a total of eight threads between them at 1.80GHz. These will get out run by even midrange desktop processors. Your obsession with going dual processor just to see two sockets in the machine is seriously not helping you. Stop the madness.

Dan_D piss off your irrelevant. I did my best to break what I had a lot to be concerned about into paragraphs and not make them run on sentences considering I'm not a writer or and language majorer as well as can use better grammer too except I'm having a difficult time currently. In Regards to whether TrueOS or FreeBSD would handle ACPI better out of the two and nothing I said is irrelevant your irrelevant as I said before and can't read or won't read what I actually said as you seem to just skim it. Then you get angry and continue to try and claim AMD is superior to Intel just of Ryzen whether Threadripper or not, which is not true considering at least the Xeon W and Xeon Scalable platforms are equally as good as AMD Ryzen Threadripper or AMD EPYC in terms of cores and features. In regards to AMD the only thing I'm seeing is better in terms of cores and features if not performance, which is not extremely important to me as it is to you considering modern hardware is fast enough to still not need overclocked out of the box is AMD Ryzen compared to lowerend Intel Core i-Series processors. I do plan to water cool too if I can find the watercooling parts already made somewhere on the internet that are compatible with whatever build I end with using in this Lian-Li D8000 chassis.

By the way I don't have some unhealthy fetish to see a dual socket cpu system in a case either I just know it's going to take alot more processing power that a single processor system can provide regardless if I use AMD or Intel and if I actually do end up using the parts I currently have in the Lian-Li D8000 chassis considering I still don't know if the motherboard still works after sending it in for Repair by use of RMA. Actually I want to build both an AMD EPYC and Intel Xeon Scalable build using two seperate Lian-Li D8000 chassis, but I only have one Lian-Li D8000 chassis and I don't know if I can find another one for sale anywhere anymore or afford it anytime soon.

Last edited:
Quoting two responses and cutting and pasting the test is unnecessary. Also, learn to take a joke. He does have a point though. You don't have to be a slave to your fetish for this one Lian-Li case. You can simply replace it with something that you feel doesn't deserve a dual processor board so bad that you end up throwing in bargain basement second hand hardware that's over six years old into it. Hardware that would get destroyed in any test by a mid-range eight core CPU made today from either AMD or Intel. In fact, what you've got there would get destroyed by a five year old ASRock X99-WS with an Intel Core i7 5960X at stock speeds. That combination could probably be had relatively cheaply, and that's not a gaming motherboard.

Dan_D I'm not doing this to win some kind benchmark competiton and that hardware will do just fine if it still works for whatever work load I can manage to get working on it.

You guys made the mistake of interacting.

I guess I am as well....

What is this system for ? As Dan has said a consumer part like the 3900x is going to destroy the old ass hardware your talking about in every single way possible. Your talking about years old hardware... so what is it your going to make it do ? Your talking about using BSD... so the question is what do you need it to do ? Some sort of virtual server box... file server... some other specific task ?

How could I be trolling my own thread you prick and don't say that there's a definition of trolling that can apply to my own thread either because all you do is reply to my threads just to flame, ridicule, insult, or piss me off?

No, that's not what I do. You've asked questions, and I've tried to answer your questions to the best of my ability. You simply don't like the answers. I've asked for some clarification here as well in order to answer questions you've posed here.

Dan_D piss off your irrelevant. I did my best to break what I had a lot to be concerned about into paragraphs and not make them run on sentences considering I'm not a writer or and language majorer as well as can use better grammer too except I'm having a difficult time currently. In Regards to whether TrueOS or FreeBSD would handle ACPI better out of the two and nothing I said is irrelevant your irrelevant as I said before and can't read or won't read what I actually said as you seem to just skim it. Then you get angry and continue to try and claim AMD is superior to Intel just of Ryzen whether Threadripper or not, which is not true considering at least the Xeon W and Xeon Scalable platforms are equally as good as AMD Ryzen Threadripper or AMD EPYC in terms of cores and features. In regards to AMD the only thing I'm seeing is better in terms of cores and features if not performance, which is not extremely important to me as it is to you considering modern hardware is fast enough to still not need overclocked out of the box is AMD Ryzen compared to lowerend Intel Core i-Series processors. I do plan to water cool too if I can find the watercooling parts already made somewhere on the internet that are compatible with whatever build I end with using in this Lian-Li D8000 chassis.

You go on and on with irrelevant information that does not add to the discussion or provide useful context for the questions you ask. Your tirade about some IWill motherboard from more than a decade ago is meaningless here. Windows 98 Meaningless. The reason why Ryzen and Threadripper got mentioned so much has to do with price vs. performance. And no, in some markets Intel doesn't compete that well with Intel. In multi-threaded workloads, AMD offers more cores and threads in its HEDT platform for the same or less money. Intel can't compete with a $1,700 Threadripper 2990WX with 32 cores and 64 threads using an 18c/36t part that's $2,000. Intel has better IPC than AMD in that segment, but not by enough of a margin to compete with that many cores. The only thing that Intel rig is better at is gaming.

By the way I don't have some unhealthy fetish to see a dual socket cpu system in a case either I just know it's going to take alot more processing power that a single processor system can provide regardless if I use AMD or Intel and if I actually do end up using the parts I currently have in the Lian-Li D8000 chassis considering I still don't know if the motherboard still works after sending it in for Repair by use of RMA. Actually I want to build both an AMD EPYC and Intel Xeon Scalable build using two seperate Lian-Li D8000 chassis, but I only have one Lian-Li D8000 chassis and I don't know if I can find another one for sale anywhere anymore or afford it anytime soon.

Yes, you do. You treat that case with reverence. You make every decision about what goes in it based off some notion of worthiness based on ten year old, out of date thinking. If you think a pair of low end six year old processors have more processing power than a Core i9 9900K, you have no idea what your talking about. Those are quad core CPU's without Hyperthreading. Those use the Ivy Bridge-E architecture and are clocked at 1.8GHz each. The Core i9 9900K in contrast, has eight cores and sixteen threads. They are using the Coffee Lake architecture and are clocked at 3.6GHz base. Turbo Boost clocks can reach 5.0GHz. There is no overclocking there. You are talking about minor architectural improvements each generation, but your several generations back. Plus, you have half as many threads and the same number of cores in separate sockets. This too makes them slower. Lastly, the clock speeds only half what the base clock of the Core i9 9900K is.

Your statement that whatever your doing will take more processing power than you can get in a single socket system is completely false when you are talking about a dual CPU system that's more than half a decade old with half the threads and half the clock speed of a modern CPU. You were talking about being late with a car payment because you were buying hardware. And if you can't afford to buy another one of those Lian-Li chassis, then AMD Epyc and Xeon scalable CPU's are well out of your price range. You get so much flak largely because you are unrealistic. Much of the information you are going off of is about a decade out of date. We are trying to educate you. I'm not sure about your sentence concerning AMD Ryzen and low end I-series processors, but if your comparing the two, AMD's Ryzen 9 3900X is faster than ANY x86-64 CPU on the market with fewer than 16 cores.

Dan_D I'm not doing this to win some kind benchmark competiton and that hardware will do just fine if it still works for whatever work load I can manage to get working on it.

Really? The usage case you made in the other thread suggests otherwise. You went on and on about how you needed a dual Epyc processor based workstation. But now, ancient 1.8GHz quad core CPU's without Hyperthreading on a platform that's more than 6 years old will do the job just fine? Had you approached the other thread with I have XYZ hardware available and no money to buy anything else, we wouldn't have said anything about it. But that was a build recommendation thread where you posed a usage case scenario, (which was by itself unrealistic) and then asked about going with a scalable Xeon or an AMD Epyc based solution. You received criticism because your usage case scenarios weren't realistic at all and your thinking behind what hardware should be used for the build was a decade out of date. It was woefully misinformed and misguided. This isn't about benchmarking. You are moving the goal post by throwing down this gauntlet about needing all this power and then suddenly saying that 1.8GHz, Ivy Bridge-E CPU's without Hyperthreading are fine for the job.

Lastly, you aren't going to last much longer around here telling people to piss off and shove their suggestions, regardless of whether or not they are serious.

Last edited:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQI04trJmjl8DIpiQrYwRpN5ccbi-vaw60urnpvrUlBAyaObYT0.jpg

As probably the biggest FreeBSD fan on these forums, I was going to give my educated opinion. But the OP's attitude towards other posters here, I'll just say you can look at what TrueOS actually is, how it relates to FreeBSD, then go ask your question on the TrueOS and FreeBSD forums. With your attitude, you'll probably get less helpful advice there than you have already gotten here.

I guess I am as well....

What is this system for ? As Dan has said a consumer part like the 3900x is going to destroy the old ass hardware your talking about in every single way possible. Your talking about years old hardware... so what is it your going to make it do ? Your talking about using BSD... so the question is what do you need it to do ? Some sort of virtual server box... file server... some other specific task ?

I already explained several times in this thread and in the first thread I ask what AMD processor I should use before I finally got pissed off because everyone didn't understand as well as kept recommending a single processor system. Also, I already explained it's not for winning a stupid benchmark competition anyway. Finally, it will do just fine as long as the motherboard still works because I know the lowend pny quadro k420 I had no choice except to put in it for now until I can get quadro K3000's or K4000's and that the areca arc1264IL-16 still works considering I last used them in my new server or that those two part are refurbished or repaired or new. You just don't understand either because your not reading and your trying to get me to keep it small, which I've tried and not even one raspberry Pi2 let alone 3 or 4 could probably handle my work unless clustered considering one raspberry Pi2 could barely play back videos on youtube that had an all aluminum case with a laser eched Pi logo on it to keep it cool that got very hot and slow very quickly just paying a few videos on youtube. A Pi 3 is only as good as my Pentium 3 coppermine build that has the Asus CUC2 motherboard anyway considering it can support up to 1 GB of RAM regardless of if it's RAMBUS PC800 with ECC as well as only has an nvidia quadro agp graphics card that can support up to 256MB of GDDR3 graphics memory and only has DVI that might be able to be converted to HDMI if not Displayport, a creative audigy 2 ZS 7.1 surround sound card that is THX certified or ready along with gold mini-plug connections, one DVD drive, one DVD-RW drive, one Zip 750 drive, one Imation LS120 disk drive, and nothing else yet in a Lian-Li A71F.

As for the Pi4 it's only about as good as my Pentium 4 build with a Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz mobile socket 478 with hyper-threading, SSE2 if not 3 or 4 at the most, maybe MMX, no execute disable bit or virtualization security or other virtualization features either, one Quadro agp graphics card with up to 256 MB that was a HIS ATI HD3850 graphics card with up to 512MB of GDDR5 or GDDR3, one creative sound blaster Audigy ZS pci 7.1 surround sound card with gold plated mini-plugs, one Hauppage HDTV tuner card, one PCI-X LSI SATA RAID card, one LG HD-DVD/Blu-ray ready DVD writer combo Drive, one LG HDDVD/Blu-ray/DVD writer drive, one 3.5 inch floppy disk drive, and that had one 120 GB hard drive at one point, but last had two 2TB hard drives in RAID using the LSI RAID card with an installation of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 32-bit Desktop on it considering the motherboard is a Supermicro P4SCT+II with the Intel I875 chipset regardless of if the thing only supports up to 4GB of PC400 DDR as well as dual dvi display that might be able to be converted to HDMI if not display port and that it basically still has 4 USB 2.0 ports except no bluetooth without a dongle or Wireless LAN without a usb wireless card aka adapter let alone a Wireless N if not AC or AD or the newest AX.

By the way all raspberry pi's are a nightmare or hell of external devices too or add-on parts that have no enclosure that seems well thought out and the person(s) who thought it up seem like they were on drugs compared to the PC manufactured parts the more I get involved with it or try to do anything with it.

Don't even bother compared a raspberry Pi to my Dell Optiplex 755's or Apple Mac Pro late 2012 or last PC build using the Gigabyte 6PXSV4 either as there is no way in hell those things could be anywhere close to as good without clustering or severe tuning. Also, the raspberry Pi's Rasbian Operating System is a pain in the butt to get it to do anything too and so is getting it's clock in sync without a real-time clock that can't fit in any aluminum enclosure that can keep it reasonable cool enough so that it doesn't come to a sketching halt while just even try to play video especially as mention that the pi2 did with youtube videos. After all the processor for a Pi basically looks like a RAM chip and usually isn't cooled very well or provided with a decent heatsink or cooler if at all out of the box.

No, that's not what I do. You've asked questions, and I've tried to answer your questions to the best of my ability. You simply don't like the answers. I've asked for some clarification here as well in order to answer questions you've posed here.

You go on and on with irrelevant information that does not add to the discussion or provide useful context for the questions you ask. Your tirade about some IWill motherboard from more than a decade ago is meaningless here. Windows 98 Meaningless. The reason why Ryzen and Threadripper got mentioned so much has to do with price vs. performance. And no, in some markets Intel doesn't compete that well with Intel. In multi-threaded workloads, AMD offers more cores and threads in its HEDT platform for the same or less money. Intel can't compete with a $1,700 Threadripper 2990WX with 32 cores and 64 threads using an 18c/36t part that's $2,000. Intel has better IPC than AMD in that segment, but not by enough of a margin to compete with that many cores. The only thing that Intel rig is better at is gaming.

Blah Blah Blah. Intel is doing fine compared to AMD. AMD Ryzen ThreadripperWX is on par with Intel Xeon W as far as I'm concerned, so what about core count or threads considering they both still only do two threads per core and that AMD ThreadripperWX only has 4 more cores and 8 more thread per core than Xeon W. Also, AMD EPYC is not better than Xeon Scalable consider the highest end Xeon Scalable has 56 cores and can do 112 threads per core anyway compared to AMD's EPYC that only has up to 32 cores and 64 threads per core. Intel is not just better for gaming I've been using Intel to compile videos and pictures for my youtube channel, forum, image hosting sites, and social networks for years, which the only reason I haven't compiled 3D animation with them yet is because I don't know how yet. Price per whatever this. I've bought AMD before and it's good, which as I've said AMD is on par with Intel especially at this moment regardless of what you think or these benchmarks say. If I could afford AMD EPYC I could afford at least some higher end Xeon Scalable let a 6 core or higher previous generation Intel Xeon 2011 or AMD Opteron.

Yes, you do. You treat that case with reverence. You make every decision about what goes in it based off some notion of worthiness based on ten year old, out of date thinking. If you think a pair of low end six year old processors have more processing power than a Core i9 9900K, you have no idea what your talking about. Those are quad core CPU's without Hyperthreading. Those use the Ivy Bridge-E architecture and are clocked at 1.8GHz each. The Core i9 9900K in contrast, has eight cores and sixteen threads. They are using the Coffee Lake architecture and are clocked at 3.6GHz base. Turbo Boost clocks can reach 5.0GHz. There is no overclocking there. You are talking about minor architectural improvements each generation, but your several generations back. Plus, you have half as many threads and the same number of cores in separate sockets. This too makes them slower. Lastly, the clock speeds only half what the base clock of the Core i9 9900K is.

That's not what I said or what I reference and you know. My last five or more 64-bit Intel workstation or desktop build's as well as server will do just fine. I know those old Ivy Bridge-E Xeon 2603v2 2011v2's are clocked at 1.8 GHz with no hyper-threading too, but they have more security features which matters more than performance features for Server/Workstation especially execute disable and OS Guard, which they just so happen to have that AMD keeps equivalent features secret in Datasheet for there latest if not passed processor models. Look I just use the stuff and it's plenty fast for me, but the software won't cooperate with me most of the time and that's my problem.

Your statement that whatever your doing will take more processing power than you can get in a single socket system is completely false when you are talking about a dual CPU system that's more than half a decade old with half the threads and half the clock speed of a modern CPU. You were talking about being late with a car payment because you were buying hardware. And if you can't afford to buy another one of those Lian-Li chassis, then AMD Epyc and Xeon scalable CPU's are well out of your price range. You get so much flak largely because you are unrealistic. Much of the information you are going off of is about a decade out of date. We are trying to educate you. I'm not sure about your sentence concerning AMD Ryzen and low end I-series processors, but if your comparing the two, AMD's Ryzen 9 3900X is faster than ANY x86-64 CPU on the market with fewer than 16 cores.

Sure Dan_D and Playstation 3 that actually got 2 tera-flops of floating point perfermance and not really 10 tera-flops actually got 10 tera-flops and so did Xbox 360. The other stuff I talked about in another thread anyway.

Really? The usage case you made in the other thread suggests otherwise. You went on and on about how you needed a dual Epyc processor based workstation. But now, ancient 1.8GHz quad core CPU's without Hyperthreading on a platform that's more than 6 years old will do the job just fine? Had you approached the other thread with I have XYZ hardware available and no money to buy anything else, we wouldn't have said anything about it. But that was a build recommendation thread where you posed a usage case scenario, (which was by itself unrealistic) and then asked about going with a scalable Xeon or an AMD Epyc based solution. You received criticism because your usage case scenarios weren't realistic at all and your thinking behind what hardware should be used for the build was a decade out of date. It was woefully misinformed and misguided. This isn't about benchmarking. You are moving the goal post by throwing down this gauntlet about needing all this power and then suddenly saying that 1.8GHz, Ivy Bridge-E CPU's without Hyperthreading are fine for the job.

Rant Rant Rant that's all you did here.

Lastly, you aren't going to last much longer around here telling people to piss off and shove their suggestions, regardless of whether or not they are serious.

Exactly, because it doesn't seem like your trying to help considering you practically admit it or did.

As probably the biggest FreeBSD fan on these forums, I was going to give my educated opinion. But the OP's attitude towards other posters here, I'll just say you can look at what TrueOS actually is, how it relates to FreeBSD, then go ask your question on the TrueOS and FreeBSD forums. With your attitude, you'll probably get less helpful advice there than you have already gotten here.

Look all want to know is how is ACPI(Advanced Power Configuration Interface) a problem for FreeBSD and how it's not an exact science for that community. Then I want to know if it applies to TrueOS and that community. When it doesn't seem like a problem for other operating systems. Dan_D doesn't see how I could be concerned about that with a reference to a past ancient IWIll VD133 motherboard experience that reverted back to APM(Advanced Power Management) because there was no firmware update to support ACPI or the board couldn't handle it and the nightmare that was that happens to be the reason for my concern as to how ACPI isn't an exact science for the FreeBSD community if not the TrueOS community. Let alone whatever else I mentioned in the initial post. Dan_D just likes to get me pissed off or ralled up or something or flame, insult, or ridicule all my replies and post now that he has to chime in to nearly all of them now, which this is not general mayhem where I would never post again because I'm not asking for that and that's all I've been getting from people on this forum recently. Dan_D insults my grammer usage and punctuation or sentences when posting on a forum is just like posting on a blog where there is no auto indent or anything else and the spell checking error notiication don't help much either as those don't seem to know how to spell computer terms correctly. Also, grammerly was a complete disaster while interfacing with hardforum, so I had to turn off grammerly just for hardforum if not else where.

I guess I am as well....

I need to do the highest end workstation tasks I can do locally out of a small room or business work environment. I don't care about how a 3900x is going to destroy my old ass hardware in every single way possible considering I'm not trying to win some stupid benchmark competition either and I don't care how old the hardware is considering it hasn't been used to it's full potentional yet for anything I've done yet as I've done a lot more on older lowerend hardware so far.

He did quite extensively.

No he didn't all did was ridicule and say this is irrelevant and that is irrelevant as well as kept recommending Ryzen or Ryzen Fartripper if not Ryzen FartripperWX especially in the thread about asking especially if AMD Epyc would make a good processor for this build.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
No he didn't all did was ridicule and say this is irrelevant and that is irrelevant as well as kept recommending Ryzen or Ryzen Fartripper if not Ryzen FartripperWX especially in the thread about asking especially if AMD Epyc would make a good processor for this build.
I think you may just not have the ability to understand tech people...

like this
Look all want to know is how is ACPI(Advanced Power Configuration Interface) a problem for FreeBSD and how it's not an exact science for that community. Then I want to know if it applies to TrueOS and that community. When it doesn't seem like a problem for other operating systems. Dan_D doesn't see how I could be concerned about that with a reference to a past ancient IWIll VD133 motherboard experience that reverted back to APM(Advanced Power Management) because there was no firmware update to support ACPI or the board couldn't handle it and the nightmare that was that happens to be the reason for my concern as to how ACPI isn't an exact science for the FreeBSD community if not the TrueOS community. Let alone whatever else I mentioned in the initial post. Dan_D just likes to get me pissed off or ralled up or something or flame, insult, or ridicule all my replies and post now that he has to chime in to nearly all of them now, which this is not general mayhem where I would never post again because I'm not asking for that and that's all I've been getting from people on this forum recently. Dan_D insults my grammer usage and punctuation or sentences when posting on a forum is just like posting on a blog where there is no auto indent or anything else and the spell checking error notiication don't help much either as those don't seem to know how to spell computer terms correctly. Also, grammerly was a complete disaster while interfacing with hardforum, so I had to turn off grammerly just for hardforum if not else where.

Pro tip: You could ask your questions using 98% fewer words. Or just use Google to search for your board’s chipset and “FreeBSD + ACPI”

The reason why I do that is because you can't seem to stick to the central topic. You go off on tangents about totally unrelated topics that do not provide context for your questions, nor serve any useful purpose that I can see. You constantly bring up hardware that's more than a decade old or OS stuff that brings nothing to the discussion. All that does is put people off from reading your posts because they are considerably longer than they need to be and only about a third of it is central the the topic of the threads you create. If you want to get nostalgic, there are places on the forum to do that. Your 20 yeah old IWill motherboard and Windows 98 have nothing to do with virtually anything relating to this topic. So why do you bring up that stuff? How do you not see that these tangents of yours do not serve a purpose?

Again, the reason you got Threadripper recommendations is because it would have suited your purpose better than Epyc would and cost less. That's money you obviously don't have to spend. Furthermore, you want to sit here and insult AMD's products but fail to understand that Epyc is the same fucking processor as Threadripper is with lower clocks and the ability to be used in pairs in some cases. That's it. The only reason you can't interchange them between motherboards is because AMD changed the pin out just enough to prevent you from doing exactly that. The underlying technologies are the same. Your inability to understand technology is the problem. If you understood the subject matter, you wouldn't be so hostile towards people who are honestly trying to help you.

I need to do the highest end workstation tasks I can do locally out of a small room or business work environment. I don't care about how a 3900x is going to destroy my old ass hardware in every single way possible considering I'm not trying to win some stupid benchmark competition either and I don't care how old the hardware is considering it hasn't been used to it's full potentional yet for anything I've done yet as I've done a lot more on older lowerend hardware so far.

Ok I have no idea where the rant about rasberry pi comes from ? When I asked you what you were doing with this build I wasn't looking for vague generalizations like "workstation stuff"... or business ? I mean what do you do go to business in the morning and do business ?

Are you using this for 3D rendering ? Video editing ? Photo editing ? Coding ? Word processing ? It sounds like your trying to build a workstation....

Workstation can mean everything from ya a raspberry pi... to crazy high end. Clearly if your doing 3D pre vis work your not going to do that on a pi... if all your doing is a few spreadsheets perhaps you don't need much and a 10 year old P4 will do you. What you need the machine for is sort of important.

No one is suggesting you should go grab a 3900x and win all the benchmarks... you haven't told anyone really wtf this machine is even needed for. Perhaps all you need is a really simple dumb terminal... or perhaps you need a threadripper and high end GPU. How the hell is anyone supposed to help you and recommend a reasonable target setup would be in our opinion if your answer a simple question like. What is this system for ? Is... I need to do the highest end workstation tasks. Ok does that mean your doing hollywood previs work and need something like a 32 core thread ripper... and a radeon pro ssg or something ?

From your posts it seems you have a mish mash of ancient computer stuff around your trying to bodge together for some reason.... or we are arguing with a bot.

You get that EPYC is a server chip right ?

Threadripper is AMDs HEDT part... it is used in high end workstations like a lot. I have helped many clients setup plenty of server and workstation setups. Even in houses with tons of Intel server stuff AMDs threadrippers are king of the high end workstation setups these days. You find them just about everywhere where where people are using actual high end workstations. 3D rendering, CAD work, video editing setups... Intel has pretty much lost that market. For workstation stuff that doesn't need that sort of horsepower... spreadsheet use database stuffs ect basic consumer desktops chips are standard.

Ok I have no idea where the rant about rasberry pi comes from ? When I asked you what you were doing with this build I wasn't looking for vague generalizations like "workstation stuff"... or business ? I mean what do you do go to business in the morning and do business ?

Are you using this for 3D rendering ? Video editing ? Photo editing ? Coding ? Word processing ? It sounds like your trying to build a workstation....

Workstation can mean everything from ya a raspberry pi... to crazy high end. Clearly if your doing 3D pre vis work your not going to do that on a pi... if all your doing is a few spreadsheets perhaps you don't need much and a 10 year old P4 will do you. What you need the machine for is sort of important.

No one is suggesting you should go grab a 3900x and win all the benchmarks... you haven't told anyone really wtf this machine is even needed for. Perhaps all you need is a really simple dumb terminal... or perhaps you need a threadripper and high end GPU. How the hell is anyone supposed to help you and recommend a reasonable target setup would be in our opinion if your answer a simple question like. What is this system for ? Is... I need to do the highest end workstation tasks. Ok does that mean your doing hollywood previs work and need something like a 32 core thread ripper... and a radeon pro ssg or something ?

From your posts it seems you have a mish mash of ancient computer stuff around your trying to bodge together for some reason.... or we are arguing with a bot.

There was another thread where he asked for build recommendations for his beloved Lian-Li cube chassis from a decade ago or something. He was asking about Xeon Scalable CPU's and Epyc CPU's and when asked what he was doing with it, we got an answer about him making his own OS, 3D animation, rendering, game design, engine programming and other half baked notions that will never all happen no matter how well intentioned he is. We simply told him that a Threadripper would suit his needs better due to the clock speeds of it vs. Epyc CPU's and that he didn't need either the PCIe lanes, nor the memory bandwidth that goes with Epyc. You know, the only two things it has over Threadripper. He got angry, hostile and reacted like he is now. He went on several tirades about things that had no bearing on the build and he had mentioned his old ass Xeon's at some point.

The thread was academic and that's being kind. He went on to complain about being denied credit at Newegg and a whole bunch of other places and being late with a car payment because he bought some hardware he wasn't specific about. He thinks a machine is more powerful and worthy of his case or something just because it has two processors. It doesn't matter that they are ancient and slow or cost more than a modern solution in some cases. This is a continuation of that mess.

Threadripper is AMDs HEDT part... it is used in high end workstations like a lot. I have helped many clients setup plenty of server and workstation setups. Even in houses with tons of Intel server stuff AMDs threadrippers are king of the high end workstation setups these days. You find them just about everywhere where where people are using actual high end workstations. 3D rendering, CAD work, video editing setups... Intel has pretty much lost that market. For workstation stuff that doesn't need that sort of horsepower... spreadsheet use database stuffs ect basic consumer desktops chips are standard.

You might as well talk to my lawn mower. We've been through all of this with him in the other thread. He will argue with you and none of what you said will sink in.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
You might as well talk to my lawn mower. We've been through all of this with him in the other thread. He will argue with you and none of what you said will sink in.

lol fair... honestly I normally skip his threads for all the reasons you mentioned. I just saw a few names posting and thought who knows perhaps this time the conversation was reasonable.

Ya he went on about creating his own OS a few years ago.... oh and trying to find an original version of unix. (like mid 70s stuff) I got the feeling I was arguing with someone on the spectrum. I'm sure he means well and isn't really a bot. ;)

like this
The reason why I do that is because you can't seem to stick to the central topic. You go off on tangents about totally unrelated topics that do not provide context for your questions, nor serve any useful purpose that I can see. You constantly bring up hardware that's more than a decade old or OS stuff that brings nothing to the discussion. All that does is put people off from reading your posts because they are considerably longer than they need to be and only about a third of it is central the the topic of the threads you create. If you want to get nostalgic, there are places on the forum to do that. Your 20 yeah old IWill motherboard and Windows 98 have nothing to do with virtually anything relating to this topic. So why do you bring up that stuff? How do you not see that these tangents of yours do not serve a purpose?

I have a perfectly good reason for bringing up a 20 year old or so iwill VD133 motherboard issue with ACPI that reverted to APM when this that is what this thread is about regardless of if it's about how FreeBSD and TrueOS will react to ACPI or do react to ACPI as well as why the FreeBSD community feels ACPI is not an exact science and if the TrueOS community feels the same way as the FreeBSD community about ACPI. The reaction of the iwill motherboard and the change from Windows 98 on it to Windows 2000 and/or XP behavior to ACPI and the board causing drivers not to be saved after installation have alot to do with my concerns about FreeBSD's and TrueOS's reaction to ACPI as well because I don't want to have to experience that nightmare I had with that system reverting to APM again.

Again, the reason you got Threadripper recommendations is because it would have suited your purpose better than Epyc would and cost less. That's money you obviously don't have to spend. Furthermore, you want to sit here and insult AMD's products but fail to understand that Epyc is the same fucking processor as Threadripper is with lower clocks and the ability to be used in pairs in some cases. That's it. The only reason you can't interchange them between motherboards is because AMD changed the pin out just enough to prevent you from doing exactly that. The underlying technologies are the same. Your inability to understand technology is the problem. If you understood the subject matter, you wouldn't be so hostile towards people who are honestly trying to help you.

I'm gone stop replying to anything you have to say about AMD fartripper I mean AMD threadripper then and pretend you didn't say anything about it as this thread is not about the processor I've chosen or may end up using if not both and AMD fartripperWX or just threadripper is not the same as EPYC from what I see, which is that AMD threadripper is equivalent to Intel Xeon socket 1356 processor and may have more cores than Xeon socket 1356 processors as well as outpeform them as if I care anyway because I don't like either of these two that much over Xeon W and threadripperWX regardless of if I can afford either one of those either at the moment, but not threadripperWX as threadripperWX has as many cores as EPYC though. AMD EPYC and Intel Xeon Scalable are just as good as each other at the moment regardless of if I saw an ad on AMD's site about a 64 core EPYC I couldn't find the specifications for and if Intel's Xeon Scalable has more cores with up to 56 cores compared to AMD Epyc's highest found with 32 cores if the AMD EPYC 64 core doesn't exist yet.

Also, AMD EPYC motherboards are only half as good as Intel Xeon Scalable motherboards considering the only AMD Epyc motherboard that supported up to 4TB that I could find was a proprietary Supermicro motherboard probably meant for a storage server used for a SAN(Storage Area Network) that can be capable of supporting up to 96 hard drives for a total storage capacity of over 1 petabyte or 1000 Terabytes as relevant as you might think that is considering the same company Supermicro makes a dual processor motherboard for the Xeon Scalable using the EATX or SSIB form factor for normal workstation server use that supports up to 4 TB RAM instead of 2 TB that I see for normal EATX or SSID form factor motherboard for AMD EPYC. If you would have read my response to yours or someone else I actually would build a system for both AMD EPYC and Xeon Scalable using a Lian-Li D8000 for each of them, but I don't think I can find another Lian-Li D8000 right now or afford another one to do it currently and I'm not even using a Xeon Scalable right now in the Lian-Li D8000 I do have.

I already told you, but you didn't understand or read it correctly. Go back up towards the top of this thread and read it.

AMD EPYC is a highend or can be a highend Server/Workstation chip just like the Intel Xeon Scalable. I get what AMD threadripper and/or threadripperWX is too and maybe I'll use either one of those to upgrade my single processor system using the Intel Xeon 2011v2 1650v2 on a Gigabyte 6PXSV4 motherboard in the Lian-Li A71F later if not both that and the Xeon W. I don't care what is considered HEDT either because it's hardly ever mentioned by either company in the product descriptions or anything else that much.

I'm gone stop replying to anything you have to say about AMD fartripper I mean AMD threadripper then and pretend you didn't say anything about it as this thread is not about the processor I've chosen or may end up using if not both and AMD fartripperWX or just threadripper is not the same as EPYC from what I see, which is that AMD threadripper is equivalent to Intel Xeon socket 1356 processor and may have more cores than Xeon socket 1356 processors as well as outpeform them as if I care anyway because I don't like either of these two that much over Xeon W and threadripperWX regardless of if I can afford either one of those either at the moment, but not threadripperWX as threadripperWX has as many cores as EPYC though. AMD EPYC and Intel Xeon Scalable are just as good as each other at the moment regardless of if I saw an ad on AMD's site about a 64 core EPYC I couldn't find the specifications for and if Intel's Xeon Scalable has more cores with up to 56 cores compared to AMD Epyc's highest found with 32 cores if the AMD EPYC 64 core doesn't exist yet.

Also, AMD EPYC motherboards are only half as good as Intel Xeon Scalable motherboards considering the only AMD Epyc motherboard that supported up to 4TB that I could find was a proprietary Supermicro motherboard probably meant for a storage server used for a SAN(Storage Area Network) that can be capable of supporting up to 96 hard drives for a total storage capacity of over 1 petabyte or 1000 Terabytes as relevant as you might think that is considering the same company Supermicro makes a dual processor motherboard for the Xeon Scalable using the EATX or SSIB form factor for normal workstation server use that supports up to 4 TB RAM instead of 2 TB that I see for normal EATX or SSID form factor motherboard for AMD EPYC. If you would have read my response to yours or someone else I actually would build a system for both AMD EPYC and Xeon Scalable using a Lian-Li D8000 for each of them, but I don't think I can find another Lian-Li D8000 right now or afford another one to do it currently and I'm not even using a Xeon Scalable right now in the Lian-Li D8000 I do have.

0% chance you run into an issue with a 2TB RAM limit, or even get that much RAM.

like this

You simply don't get it. Threadripper and Epyc are exactly the same architecture. HEDT processors (a market you obviously know nothing about) all have CPU's derived from their respective company's server / workstation CPU's. You give up eight channel memory for four channel memory and you get 64 PCIe lanes vs. 128. However, you pick up a substantial amount of clock speed which workstations benefit from. Again you go off about Xeon scalable CPU's. Do you not understand that those 9000 series Xeons cost 10's of thousands of dollars and are OEM only? That means you have to buy a Dell or HP server to get them. You don't get them in any form you can drop into your Lian-Li chassis as they are soldered onto the motherboard. The Xeon Platinum 8000 series still costs thousands of dollars per CPU. Why is this even on your radar when those things cost as much as an entire KIA Soul? The Xeon Platinum 8180, the highest end CPU you can probably find a motherboard for costs over $10,000 each. Those CPU's only have 28c/56 threads. Meanwhile, Threadripper and Epyc both have 32c/64t models you can buy today at a fraction of the price in both cases. Why are we talking about 10k+ Xeons again?

There is a lot more to the platform that just RAM capacity, but that's a much deeper conversation. That's all I'm going to say because further questions I have for you would only take us deeper into a conversation that's going to go nowhere.

There was another thread where he asked for build recommendations for his beloved Lian-Li cube chassis from a decade ago or something. He was asking about Xeon Scalable CPU's and Epyc CPU's and when asked what he was doing with it, we got an answer about him making his own OS, 3D animation, rendering, game design, engine programming and other half baked notions that will never all happen no matter how well intentioned he is. We simply told him that a Threadripper would suit his needs better due to the clock speeds of it vs. Epyc CPU's and that he didn't need either the PCIe lanes, nor the memory bandwidth that goes with Epyc. You know, the only two things it has over Threadripper. He got angry, hostile and reacted like he is now. He went on several tirades about things that had no bearing on the build and he had mentioned his old ass Xeon's at some point.

I don't need threadripper for this case or want it for this chassis, but maybe I'll use it for my Lian-Li A71F later as it's the chassis I'm going to continue to use for my single processor build until Lian-Li or some other company comes along with something I like more.

The thread was academic and that's being kind. He went on to complain about being denied credit at Newegg and a whole bunch of other places and being late with a car payment because he bought some hardware he wasn't specific about. He thinks a machine is more powerful and worthy of his case or something just because it has two processors. It doesn't matter that they are ancient and slow or cost more than a modern solution in some cases. This is a continuation of that mess.

What do you care and by the way do you own an AMD EPYC or Xeon Scalable let alone an AMD Opteron or Intel Xeon 2011v3 or v4 that actually might truely be better than the Intel 2011v2 parts I'm using now for a dual processor setup in the Lian-Li D8000 chassis or are you going to continue recommending I use a single processor AMD threadripper or AMD threadripperWX parts in the Lian-Li D8000 instead of the Lian-Li A71F.

The saying actually goes you might as well be talking to a brick wall, but okay whatever.

The saying actually goes you might as well be talking to a brick wall, but okay whatever.

What happened the last time you tried to use FreeBSD anyway?

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/freebsd-10-2-gnome2-installation-error.54559/

if you're sincerely interested in getting a FreeBSD desktop working for you, perhaps you should walk before you run. You've got three different threads on three different desktop environments all running concurrently, yet all with asyncrhonous information. It's a serious drain on everyone's time and patience to try and help you solve a problem in one thread that's already been resolved per steps taken in another thread

0% chance you run into an issue with a 2TB RAM limit, or even get that much RAM.

Yea I get that it wouldn't be a problem for a long while especially considering the most I've had is 128 GB of Wintec brand ECC that I returned anyway and I still only have up to 32 GB of ECC in my server. If they figure out a way to make a computer support up to more than 2 TB like the AMD EPYC board I was referring too let alone 4 TB like the Intel Xeon Scalable I'll be blown away in shock of almost disbelief because I'm still not anywhere close to having that much ECC RAM I would need to have that much until Non-ECC can achieve that and ECC capabilities will be way beyond Non-ECC again as it always is.

The last time I tried FreeBSD I got locked out of it or couldn't elevate to root to install anything after a long struggle with getting a Desktop Graphical interface installed that the community deleted my thread asking about how to do it properly or got removed somehow. It's not a desktop operating system anyway though as the person who created the thread in the link you provided wanted to try considering it's actually a form of True UNIX that last I heard or could get from winworldpc.com was UNIX System V anyway that is or was a mainframe operating system and either way I was virtualizing my attempt on a Dell Precision M6800 Mobile Workstation with a quad core Intel Core i7 and 16 GB of DDR3 RAM as well as with two 1 TB Seagate SSHD's installed for both FreeBSD back in about 2014 or 2015 and for a UNIX System V floppy drive image in 2018.

Last edited:
Yea I get that it wouldn't be a problem for a long while especially considering the most I've had is 128 GB of Wintec brand ECC that I returned anyway and I still only have up to 32 GB of ECC in my server. If they figure out a way to make a computer support up to more than 2 TB like the AMD EPYC board I was referring too let alone 4 TB like the Intel Xeon Scalable I'll be blown away in shock of almost disbelief because I'm still not anywhere close to having that much ECC RAM I would need to have that much until Non-ECC can achieve that and ECC capabilities will be way beyond Non-ECC again as it always is.

I work on a system that has 24TB of RAM, and we've got a CR to expand that because we're running out memory causing the system to dump. So "they" know how to make them. There's just not a market for it outside of the extreme enterprise segment.

Then why is this even a talking point? You also said Epyc boards are only half as good as Xeon scalable boards because of their RAM support. That's simply untrue.

Well there we go... still hasn't said what he is looking to build other then, big and it has to do business.

Still we now are talking about ECC vs Non-ECC and consumer grade server ram limits he clearly isn't ever going to get close to maxing. Oh and somehow we are talking about running system V off floppies again.

Kudos scharfshutze even when we know where being trolled at least you keep it entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back