Help with build for gaming/cad - $700 budget

imgneevrythng

Weaksauce
Hello everyone. I've used these forums in the past for PC help, and you guys have never failed me. So today I'm asking for you guys to help me put together a new PC build. I won't be purchasing the parts until after the holidays, but want to get a head-start so I know what I'm getting myself into and I know what kind of deals to look out for.

So here goes:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Mostly gaming, however I work as a designer and use Adobe Illustrator as well as 3D software like Solidworks, so it would be nice to be able to take work home with me.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Budget as of right now is $700 max, shipping and tax included
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
USA, more specifically New Jersey

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
I'm going to need a new case, cpu, motherboard, ram, power supply, and would like to have an SSD.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I purchased a Radeon 6870 last October, so I would like to use that for the time being. I also already have a harddrive and CD drive I could use.
6) Will you be overclocking?
Nope
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
21in 1680x1050. This I plan on upgrading around February, so it is not included in the budget.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
I plan on building the PC myself.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
TBH I'm not really sure exactly what I would need, as I've never really used features like RAID before, but I might and I would like to have the best motherboard possible while staying within budget.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
WIndows 7 64bit

Can you reach the NJ Micro Center store (or any of the NY stores)?

Which games are you (planning on) playing?

Do you have an idea on which monitor you'll buy?

Can you specify which hard drive and optical drive you're reusing? (Do you really have a CD drive?)

Which version of Windows 7 64bit do you have?

Can you reach the NJ Micro Center store (or any of the NY stores)?

Which games are you (planning on) playing?

Do you have an idea on which monitor you'll buy?

Can you specify which hard drive and optical drive you're reusing? (Do you really have a CD drive?)

Which version of Windows 7 64bit do you have?

I believe there is a Miro Center near me, actually. A friend of mine had mentioned it before. So yes, I could get there if I had to.

Currently I'm playing CSGO, but only because there isn't a newer (GO is new, but old software) title out that catches my eye. But I want to be able to play the newest FPS games. I don't play RPG games.

I'm not sure the exact monitor, but I would be going up to around 23 or 24, while keeping my current 21in monitor as a 2nd screen.

The harddrive is a Western Digital WD6400AAKS 640GB while the optical drive is a SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Model SH-S223F.

I have the Home edition of Windows 7

Please answer question 8 more clearly: How soon after the holidays (Christmas? New Year's?) do you plan on ordering parts? (Do you have the fund to start ordering everything this weekend?)

Please answer question 8 more clearly: How soon after the holidays (Christmas? New Year's?) do you plan on ordering parts? (Do you have the fund to start ordering everything this weekend?)

I plan on ordering the parts after New Years. I do not currently have the funds to purchase anything.

Revisit this thread on New Year's Day. Then, we'll know what sales and specials are available, which we'll use to build you the best system possible for around $700.

Last edited:
Back