help with an old Sun server

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
I need to be able to get to the command prompt.

The only connection that I can use is a serial connection that looks like an ethernet port.

So I guess I need a USB cable that I can plug into my laptop and I need the other end to plug into this serial port.

Not sure what I need.

All I have is a USB to 9 pin. Anything that I can get to fix this?

I had a similar issue on an old AIX server. If you know the IP address of the server you can get in that way.

What I did was this... The IP was 192.168.1.10 so...

In windows I set my network adapter to have an IP of 192.168.1.5, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, and gateway of 192.168.1.1. Then I was able to Telnet into the system using Putty. If you at least have a general idea of what the IP is... such as 192.168.1.*** you can do a ping sweep. But you would still need to be in the same subnet.

I am not to sure about what type of cables you have laying around, but I have a USB/Serial to RJ45 for Cisco switches and used an old RJ45 to DB9 converter when I had to get into the service port on an Avaya IP Office system.

Hope that helps.

You need a USB serial adapter, DB9 to RJ45 adapter, and a rollover cable. You may be able to find the adapter/cable as one as well.

Back