Help with an issue with my 3700X and 5700 XT

Sindalis

Weaksauce
Hi all!

Posting this because I was looking for some help. Hopefully put this in the right sub-forum

I recently built a new computer (specs in signature) but one thing I have noticed is much higher GPU usage in Chrome coming from the old computer to the new computer. As in, while playing video I'm seeing GPU usage between 45-55% (in task manager).... which is really weird on just video playback on Youtube. (attached a picture for reference)

Normally I wouldn't be a problem, but as I run dual monitors... I often have say, a video going on one monitor while I play games on the other. And in this configuration, I have noticed not insignificant framerate drops in some games.

My old computer was was a i7 4770K & GTX 1080... replacing the 1080 really wasn't a choice (it stopped working about a month ago) so I replaced it with a 5700XT which was shortly after I built my new computer around a 3700X.

Regardless, I do not remember it having this problem until recently when it started to run out of cores, hence the CPU upgrade, but now I'm in some sort of weird GPU usage / bottleneck situation as its got plenty of cores and memory to work with.

And now I'm not really sure what to do to fix the problem?

I was also wondering if the iGPU on the Intel processor was helping the GTX 1080 do stuff like play video on Chrome while I was playing games... and if so would it make sense potentially to switch to a 4700G APU when those come out?

Or is this purely a GPU bottleneck so the recommendation would be to purchase whatever new GPU comes out later this year that's more powerful?

Just looking for some thoughts around what would be the best options?

Attachments

• usage in chrome.PNG
    usage in chrome.PNG
    3.8 KB · Views: 0
Its weird issues like these that made me put my secondary display on a USB3>HDMI adapter. Completely de-couple it from my GPU which is only handling my main gaming display.

Try turning off hardware acceleration in chrome. I know chrome used to cause issues on radeon cards.

Thank you so much!

This resolved the issue! It's not using my GPU at all even when playing video and just running off CPU and CPU is perfectly happy giving it a single thread for video...

Now fully can use GPU for the games.

It must have been before the hardware acceleration was going through the iGPU on my 4770K which is why I never noticed the effect of hardware acceleration.

Good to know I don't need to change the hardware :) I've been really happy with my 3700X (and kicking myself for not just getting the 3900X)... But looking forward to Zen 3 and potentially upgrading then.

Thank you so much!

This resolved the issue! It's not using my GPU at all even when playing video and just running off CPU and CPU is perfectly happy giving it a single thread for video...

It must have been before the hardware acceleration was going through the iGPU on my 4770K which is why I never noticed the effect of hardware acceleration.

Good to know I don't need to change the hardware :) I've been really happy with my 3700X (and kicking myself for not just getting the 3900X)... But looking forward to Zen 3 and potentially upgrading then.

Glad that fixed it for you, can be frustrating to have a problem. Also I like chrome but it's kind of a resource hog for what it is.

Thank you so much!

Also seen that the decoder on the Nvidia cards is sometimes a ~bit~ better at the shenanigans that Chrome pulls; we run into that ALL the time in virtualized setups where the virtualized AMD GPUs can't do some of what the virtualized Nvidia vGPU ones can - but there's a cost to Nvidia as well (licensing for virtualization). Glad you found a solution, and thanks for posting it!

Back