Help with a .INF file - copy file to subfolder of variable main folder

cyclone3d

[H]F Junkie
I am working on a driver package in which the main installer is bugged and misses copying a file needed for the uninstaller to run.

I do not have the source for the installer as it is from about 20 years ago.

The .INF file does some of the file copying as well, but I am not finding out how to copy the file where I need it to go.

The .INF file has a defaultfolder setting and the copy directives that use that folder are copying properly when that default folder is changed in the setup program.

How do I add another file to copy into a subfolder of that variable main folder?

I am not having any luck finding any information on how to do this.

Ok, figured out how to make it go into a subfolder.

However, it turns out the setup.exe is not even doing anything with the .inf file.

It actually only does the file copy part in the .inf when the PnP hardware detection is pointed to the folder with the .inf file.

Is there a way to read read an environment variable in a .inf file so I can grab the correct path to put the files into?

This setup is for an old Compaq/STB Ultrasound 32 Pro ISA sound card. The install is for Windows 95/98.

Ok, figured out how to make it go into a subfolder.

However, it turns out the setup.exe is not even doing anything with the .inf file.

It actually only does the file copy part in the .inf when the PnP hardware detection is pointed to the folder with the .inf file.

Is there a way to read read an environment variable in a .inf file so I can grab the correct path to put the files into?

This setup is for an old Compaq/STB Ultrasound 32 Pro ISA sound card. The install is for Windows 95/98.
Oh wow, that old? Have you tried VOGONS vintage drivers? http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=739

Oh wow, that old? Have you tried VOGONS vintage drivers? http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=739

Yeah. The drivers from the standard Ultrasound PnP do not work properly and any software that looks for the hardware ID doesn't work either.

I have corrected the hardware ID problem by modifying the EEPROM map file to match the standard Gravis ID.

The driver package I am using is the newest I have been able to locate. It is a Compaq softpaq for the systems that this card was available in.

The drivers are newer as is the sound blaster emulation drivers. And the drivers support the extra tone/fader chip that only came on the Compaq/STB cards.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In any case, I fixed the missing file issue by making a batch file to do the actual work, having the .INF copy it and the missing file to a temp folder and then having the .INF file insert a RunOnce registry entry to run that batch file.

Not the way I wanted to do it, but it works fine.

Back