Help with 2 Wireless Routers on same network.

NYCXBOX

n00b
I have a router in my COmpter room (wireless) WRT54G. It is hardwared to my PC and MY cable modem. I have 1 other PC on a Wireless Card and it is on the Internet with no issues.

I have a second Router WRK54G.

I have 3 devices that do not allow wireless access all next to each other in another room.

i should be able to plug all 3 into the second router WRK54G (hardwired) and that router can be i guess a Gateway? It should be able to talk to my other wireless router so that the 3 devices connected to it can have internet access and be in the network. Correct?

I have looked on Linksys site and what not -

How do I get this to work?

DO I have to plug the second router into my PC (or other router) first and configure it? Obviosly they are both 192.168.1.1. I already changed my main router to 192.168.1.2 - so the second router is 192.168.1.1 (default). I Can't log into it... From my Wired PC or my Wireless PC. Both PC's only see the router and the Cable modem of the first (wrt54g).

Can someone help me out getting this to work.

I honesty dont want to buy a $99 G adapter for my Xbox 360 and the 2 other devices only accept WIRED either net connections.. BUt if I wire them to a ROuter (Wireless) that can Wireless COmmunicate with the first router and be on the same network..the other 2 devices would act as if they were Hardwired directly tot he first router in theory.

Any help would be mucho appreciated!

Thanks in advance..

The WRK is a stripped down version of the already stripped down WRT. I highly doubt it has the ability to act as a wireless ethernet bridge (what you want to connect the devices in the other room). If your lucky, your WRT54G might be old enough to accept ddwrt or tomato which adds the bridge functionality. I think the micro version of ddwrt that installs on the v.8 WRT54G has wireless ethernet bridge as an option but I have never tried it. Either way, it would require using the WRK as your primary router, and those things are junk.

Your best bet would be to run an ethernet cable into the other room and try using the WRK as just a switch. Barring that, you can get a DDWRT supported device for under $50, which unlike the $99 linksys gaming adapter will allow all your stuff to connect at once. I have used the ASUS WL520gU to do this, it was $39 after mir. Flashing it can be a bit tricky, however. If you want one thats easier to flash get the linksys WRT54GL (the GL is key). It should be around $60. Flash to ddwrt (www.dd-wrt.com) and configure as a wireless bridge and your set.

You might be able to setup an add hoc connection router to router. Don't know if your wireless laptop would still work though?

Back