Help: Wiring female 3-Pin fan connectors.

DieLate

Limp Gawd
My case fans came with 4-pin molex connectors attached to them, which is great...until you want to use a fan controller. I ordered the Zalman one. Anyways, I need to convert my connections to 3-pin ones.

So I bought the female 3-pin fan connectors and then noticed that there's no metal in them, just plastic. Also, I don't know how to secure the wires in this connector. Looking at the 3-pin connector for the fan on the Intel stock heatsink fan in the closet, it looks like there's a metal along the top of the connector, above where the wires go in. And then the male end plugs in below that.

I've googled, searched this forum and others, and I can't find out how I'm supposed to do this wiring. Also, is there any tool needed to help secure the wire in the connector? Any cheap alternative to an actual tool? :)

Thanks

All of the ones I've done came in a small plastic bag - included were the plug itself and a row of the metal inserts. The inserts broke apart into three, and then you stripped your fan wires and crimped them onto the inserts (with much swearing and nearly losing of small parts).

If you haven't got the inserts you're stuffed and need to go back to where you got the plug from and get some.

Well, I ordered them from Silicon Valley Compucyle a few weeks back when they had a big clearance sale. They certainly did not ship with metal inserts. I'll check Radioshack later today or Frys on Monday and see if I can get these. Can you just use some small pliers to close the inserts?

My guess is that you bought some 3-pin fan UV fan connectors, right? They won't come with the metal connectors, since they're designed to replace the 3-pin plug plastic piece (usually white in color) with something that will match the color scheme of the inside of the case.

Once you buy the metal connectors, you should be able to crimp them onto the wires, then slip them into the fan plugs you bought at SVC. Good luck!! :D

another option is to simply pillage them from any dead case/cpu fans you happen to have laying around. That's what I usually end up doing when I need one of those.

Yeah, maybe.
I don't use the Zalman Fanmate 1 that came with my HSF, and then I've got the stock Intel HSF with its fan I don't use. Maybe I'll do that. Just need one more.... :\

Back