Help! Windows Explorer not starting on XP 32

Bisectors Fore

Limp Gawd
I have Windows XP Pro 32-bit with SP2 installed on my computer, and I just started having this weird problem with it today. I turned the machine on, it booted up and I put in my password. Then it paused for an abnormally long time saying it was loading my setttings, and when it finally got into my desktop, the taskbar and all icons were gone. The only way I can run programs is through the Windows task manager, and anything that uses Windows explorer will not work. I was using the computer earlier today and was not having this issue. I have checked for viruses and spyware and that has not fixed the problem. I have searched online and found others having the same problem, but I have not found a solution that worked. If anyone knows how to fix this without re-installing Windows, (I just did that a week ago) I would greatly appreciate help. Thanks.

You really need to updaet Adaware if that is what you're scanning with. It's goin gon 2 years old (not sure which definitiations you have). I would aslo recommend giving Avira a shot over AVG.

It may not be malware, but it's the easiest thing to rule out. And I don't think the tools you've used would rule it out for me.

I would update, but I am on dialup. :( I just formatted my computer a week ago so I don't see how it could have malware already.

Update: I did a system restore to a date before the problem occured, but to no avail. I guess that means it is probably a virus or malware, correct?

load ultimate boot cd and check the registry setting for userinit, it may possibly have been hijacked

Back