Help? Win7 won't stop bothering me with this message.

Namakan

Gawd
I keep getting this when I launch/play games

sigh.png

My system is not running slow at all when this pops up. Hell, it never runs slow unless I'm stress testing. (Specs in sig)

This continues to pop up and its getting really annoying. I'll just be enjoying a game, with no lag, not that much CPU load, and plenty of RAM free, then all of a sudden my game minimizes and I see that. I keep telling it the last option, yet it still shows this option over and over. What can I do? Thanks in advance.

something is trying to force it into windowed mode... turn off your steam overlay... (looks like Fallout 3)

That's just my desktop background, and this happens with both steam and non steam games.

A feature in windows 7 and windows vista that people seem to miss is that it disables aero to save system resources when it goes into 3d mode. It re-enables aero the next time its asked to draw the desktop. I suspect for the majority of users a registry entry defines that behavior.

I dont know how to solve your specific problem, but I can tell you its probably the because that registry entry is in an undefined state. Windows is usually pretty good at catching those kind of things and putting them into a proper known default state, but it looks like your install, for whatever reason, is failing to do that.

That would be my guess at least. Your best friend here is probably going to be google.

Bust out ProcessMonitor and see what registry key is being written to (or supposed to be written to) when the third option is selected?

On the games that your playing where this happens, go to properties, compatibility and check the Disable Desktop Composition button. This will make AERO disable when the game launches so that this error won't pop up while playing since it's already been done. Once you exit the game, Aero will reenable a utomatically. (Aero uses approximately 50-60MB of gpu memory at all times unless you disable composition).

On the games that your playing where this happens, go to properties, compatibility and check the Disable Desktop Composition button. This will make AERO disable when the game launches so that this error won't pop up while playing since it's already been done. Once you exit the game, Aero will reenable a utomatically. (Aero uses approximately 50-60MB of gpu memory at all times unless you disable composition).

So its telling me this because my GPU memory is low? That could be it actually..silly 512mb card.

Sorry to revive this thread but I just upgraded to a 5850 with 1GB of video memory and I'm still getting this. Its very annoying as it minimizes everything :\

Last edited:
This issue has to be more than just a coincidence.... my rig in sig did the same exact thing today after I exited Red Faction Guerrilla.

It probably popped up while in game but I didn't notice it till after I exited.

Maybe MS released an update this past week that screwed something up.

may be related, but I'm sure there are a ton of people who have dual monitors without the errors. My duel screen gaming rig isn't quite (read not even close) as fast, but I have never got that message. Well my CPU is clocking in near 3.8, but I still got a 8800gts 512 for the vid card.

sounds like this is your problem, if it is maintaining a windows display in one monitor and your game display in another.

The thing is, the PC isn't running slow though, windows just says it is :(

It will do this before I even start playing games sometimes, like in the menu right after I start it up I'll get it.

all you have to do is click the third option.. it will not bug you again about it until your restart your computer.. i get the same thing with Crysis because i run dual displays.. though its the only game that throws up that screen..

basically what is happening is that windows wants to turn aero off to play the game but because your running dual displays it wants to keep it running so windows just asks you if you want to turn it off or leave it on..

Another option is to disable desktop composition whenever you play the game. You can set it to do so by right clicking the game .exe and in compatibility tab select disable desktop composition. It will kill aero when starting and restore it when you quit;)

Another option is to disable desktop composition whenever you play the game. You can set it to do so by right clicking the game .exe and in compatibility tab select disable desktop composition. It will kill aero when starting and restore it when you quit;)

I alt tab a lot to talk to friends on MSN and such so having it redraw that much is a pain

all you have to do is click the third option.. it will not bug you again about it until your restart your computer..

Yes but I would like it to go away permanently if possible.

Back