Help Water Cooling in TJ09

Hey all -

First, please accept my apologies for the very noob questions I'm probably asking. I'm really trying to learn here and I appreciate the help. I'm a total newb here (have built a couple very basic computers over the years, but nothing like I am seeing in these forums). I just bought a silverstone TJ09 case and a swiftech h20-220 water cooler with 2x120mm rad.

Couple of questions:

1. anyone seen a thread or example of this set-up in the past? Otherwise, any pointers? I've never set up a water cooling system before and I am looking for good tips. I'm sure this has been done 1,000 times before.

2. Can I replace the stock hosing with a larger / better looking tube? I assume this will be no problem if it's similiar size as the barbs, correct?

3. Should I test the water system before installing the components? I've heard of this being done, but honestly the methods are pretty difficult to understand (i.e. using a different PSU). I don't really understand the best way to test the system, so any instructions that an idiot could understand would be helpful.

4. If I install the rad near the exhaust fans, do the fans still function as outflow, or should I switch them to inflow?

5. Lastly, I like the looks of the swiftech clear reservoirs. Can I add this to my set-up? What is the purpose of the reservoir? My kit doesnt come with one, does that mean I can't add one?

Here's some info on what I'm using / trying to accomplish:

Case: SILVERSTONE TJ09-BW
Water cooling system: Swiftech H2O-220 Compact Kit
I want to install the radiator to the top of the case near the two exhaust fans.
I want to add a reservoir (mainly to look cool)
I want to add thicker clear tubing (to look cool)
I want to test the system so I don't blow up my $2k worth of parts I just bought

Again, I REALLY appreciate the help. I promise to return the favor to some other idiot when I am able. Thanks!

-Slitth

1. I have a 2x120 rad mounted in the top of my TJ09, but as for using that kit you can look here. Tom's Hardware did pretty much what you're talking about, except they added another 120 rad on the midline fan (I have one of those too).

2. You can replace the tubing, and I would fully suggest it as the tubes that come with that kit are extremely easy to kink.

3. Yes, just search the Water Cooling forums for the correct procedures.

4. Really it won't matter that much either way, probably a 1-2c difference.

5. You should definitely add in a separate res since in that kit the res is integrated into the radiator, which since you're mounting it horizontally would be a bitch to fill.

Here's a old pic of my first set up using water in a TJ09:

Picture035.jpg

I then flipped the fans to "pull" which dropped my temp by 8 degrees.

Dude dark, that's exactly what im trying to do with my water cooling. That's awesome. Was it hard to mount that reservoir?

I bought a rack to help hold the radiator that is designed basically to fit this case without mods I think. My two 120 rads should be enough right? I probably won't do the gpu to start.

Anything pointers? I'm literally doing your exact set-up. I'll buy a reservoir and some new tubing. Maybe some new clamps also and just use the radiator / pump and kit stuff for the rest. This sound doable?

The res was extremely easy to install, I just screwed it in to the mid gpu fan housing as you can see. (Note this was later on when I swapped out for a thermochill pa120.3)

Picture009.jpg

Everything you have planned sounds great :).

Did you have problems with cable mgmt given case layout? The HD cables that came with my raptor and caviar HDs look short and I'm not sure they will reach the mobo. I may need to get longer cables.

That's some good cable work you did to keep it looking clean. This is going to take me awhile...

I just recently finished by build. W/c TJ09:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1311143

1. Silverstone sells a bracket that allows you bolt up a radiator using the existing fan mounting points.

2. Yes you can. I am using Feser tubing which I like a lot

3. There are various ways to do this. I just hooked up the the pump to an older computer I had sitting around and ran the w/c components for 24+ hours

4. It really is a matter of preference. I have the chassis rear fan acting as an intake and two fans on the radiator exhausting outwards.

5.Yes you can. As mentioned above, it makes easier to bleed/fill.

Back