Help Water Block for XFX 6970

xxdmxx

n00b
I recently bought an XFX 697A-CNFC and was planning on water cooling it, but then I saw that my card was rev 1.2. Anyone try water cooling/taking off the cooler to see what the difference between 1.2 and 1.1 or 1.0?

EK's website only shows the v1.0 as compatible and I heard 1.1 is compatible with the V2 waterblock. My card says it's a v1.2 and I am wondering if there is any difference between 1.2 and 1.1 that will cause compatibility issues.

i suggest taking ur heatsink off and comparing the PCB to a rev1.1 picture.

Also, send in a pic of the PCB to EK (high quality if possible), see if they concur ur findings, i for one would love to see the results, as i think many would in ur situation.

I'm using a Swiftech MCW82 + 6970-HS on mine - it's either a rev 1.1 or 1.2 (don't feel like pulling it yet again just to look, but it's definitely not 1.0 since it has no BIOS switch on it :p), so that heatsink, at least, works on the new revision cards just fine and the combo definitely does a good job cooling everything - temps in GPU-Z for all sensors never get above mid-50's no matter how long I stress the card at 950/1450/+20% with FurMark, with the 6970 in the same loop as my 4.8-5.0 GHz (thanks to varying turbo multi's) i7-2600K. :)

This solution is more flexible for the future as well since I don't need to replace the waterblock when I get a new card and just need a new heatsink to cool the new card's mem + VRM's, which should be on the order of $30, as opposed to the ~$100 (or more) that full-coverage blocks almost always are. ;)

Ended up with the Swiftech Komodo 6900 waterblock I got off a forum member and just ordered a VR2 plate from Swiftech since they are located nearby.

Back