HELP!!! Vista pulled a BSOD on me

Pegesus

Limp Gawd
Ok so i finally got a damn BSOD. I am unable to boot Vista at all. I try to boot off my installation cd and i still get nothing. I keep getting that the kernel file is corrupt or damaged. I have no way of getting to a command prompt either.

I need to recover data off my hard drive but i can't for the life of me figure out how to get past this. Nothing is working. I cannot boot from a cd. I cannot boot in any mode of Vista. Anyone have any ideas. I don't care if i have to format the drive to fix this i just need to pull information off of it first. This is my main concern.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated. I am totally at a loss.

any errors, where does it stop.... what EXACTLY happens...

What were you doing before this happened? Do you overclock?

System Specs?

FX 60
4 gigs of ram
Raptor HD
Asus SLi MB
dual 7950's
Watercooled

I do not overclock nor run anything above factory settings.

I was doing nothing prior to this happening. I was actually just on the internet. It happened a few days ago but i was able to boot right back up. However yesterday i finally just kept locking up right before the logo screen. It basically just keeps saying that windows shut down improperly and that i need to boot again. I get the usual choices i.e: safe mode, command prompt and such. No matter what i pick after it tries to load again i get a message that reads:

0xc0000221. error.

/windows/system32/ntkrnlpa.exe is corrupt or missing.

It tells me to please insert the windows installation cd and repair.

If i do this it simply does the same thing as stated above. I have disabled my HD from booting and still once it tries to access the dvdrom it brings me back to the same errors. This is what is driving me crazy. I don't see why if i bypass my hd from booting and boot from a cd i cannot get to the installation and be able to repair.

Are using a straight oem disk or a Preinstallation/recovery disk that was supplied with the computer ( like dell gives you).. although even if with the preinstallation disk which tend NOT to give you the repair option you should still get a installation screen,, I'd check your ram.. remove a stick and see if that helps and keep swapping them out.. you obviously get thru the bios part. since you can disable your drive ( did you save settings on exit)

I am using retail copy of vista. And its a custom built system so i have no recovery disk that came with it nor did i create one.

I will try the ram and see if that helps.

And yes i did save settings on exit of bios.

can you get to the F8 and choose the option "repair your computer" or whatever the hell it is?

no i do not have that opition when i hit F8 i just get options to boot in safe modes and normal mode.

ok thanks for all the help.

I've seemed to have narrowed it down to a bad stick of ram. If that sounds like it makes sense then. I think i have the problem solved.

Thanks for all the help.

Pull all but one stick of RAM, unplug the HDD from the motherboard, and try to boot from the CD.

If that works, put the memory back in and try again. Then, pull the memory and plug in the HDD, and try again.

Back