HELP: Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, turned on Bitlocker, and now get Windows Install prompt on reboot

Jumpem

[H]ard|Gawd
The "Upgrade" option tells me to remove installation media and restart. I am not using any intallation media though.

The "Custom" option brings up a list of all of my drives. I select the SSD that Windows is on and get "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks. Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. BitLocker Drive Encryption is enabled on the selected partition. Suspend BitLocker in the Control Panel, and then restart the installation."

I am unable to boot into Windows to do anything in the Control Panel.

You're hosed unless you have the decryption key or key file available.

If you happen to have the key, try this guide out https://4sysops.com/archives/unlock-bitlocker-under-windows-pe/
I took the flash drive with the BitLocker Recovery Key .txt file out and rebooted. It prompted me for the BitLocker password. It then appeared as if Windows was going to load, and then I got a blue screen with stop code "unmountable boot volume".

I restarted again, and instead of entering the BitLocker password, pressed esc for the "BitLocker recovery" option. I entered the key from the BitLocker Recovery Key .txt file and get "Failed to unlock with this recovery key".

I took the flash drive with the BitLocker Recovery Key .txt file out and rebooted. It prompted me for the BitLocker password. It then appeared as if Windows was going to load, and then I got a blue screen with stop code "unmountable boot volume".

I restarted again, and instead of entering the BitLocker password, pressed esc for the "BitLocker recovery" option. I entered the key from the BitLocker Recovery Key .txt file and get "Failed to unlock with this recovery key".
It would seem that BitLocker may have failed to properly encrypt the drive. Now it's in an in-between state. If you have your data backed up, I'd recommend starting out with a new install of Windows.

It would seem that BitLocker may have failed to properly encrypt the drive. Now it's in an in-between state. If you have your data backed up, I'd recommend starting out with a new install of Windows.
I did back it up to external drives before selecting "turn on bitlocker". It should also be backed up online if I needed it.

Can I put installation media on the same flash drive as the BitLocker recovery file and other files? I am not sure what my Windows activation key is. The email for upgrading to Windows 10 Pro did not include it.

you need to create the installation media, which I believe wipes the USB drive, just get another 8gb flash drive for the OS installs

Heh, encryption in most cases only locks people out of their own data and is never needed for protection in reality. Work computer? Completely understand encrypting it. Home... not worth the trouble.

Heh, encryption in most cases only locks people out of their own data and is never needed for protection in reality. Work computer? Completely understand encrypting it. Home... not worth the trouble.
Encryption works well when you turn it on on first OS install. I always do it on my Linux machines and full disk encryption never failed me.

Encryption works well when you turn it on on first OS install. I always do it on my Linux machines and full disk encryption never failed me.
Well this is Windows and the first time it fails you, you'll regret it. Self made cryptoattack lol. I have never encrypted a personal use computer, just too much hassle for nothing. All the data that needs to be kept secure is already encrypted anyway through means of methods of storage and transport.

Well this is Windows and the first time it fails you, you'll regret it. Self made cryptoattack lol. I have never encrypted a personal use computer, just too much hassle for nothing. All the data that needs to be kept secure is already encrypted anyway through means of methods of storage and transport.
The issue is that it is unencrypted if someone takes your computer.

The issue is that it is unencrypted if someone takes your computer.
So what? You shared your familyalbum free willingly probably to Facebook anyway and anything worth while (passwords etc) are much easier encrypted by themselves than risking losing the entire drive.

So what? You shared your familyalbum free willingly probably to Facebook anyway and anything worth while (passwords etc) are much easier encrypted by themselves than risking losing the entire drive.
I don't use Facebook, and my wife just posts some photos here and there. I did password protect a couple of Excel files individually.

As long as I have the password for each drive and the recovery codes, I should be fine.

Try booting to the windows recovery menu and see if you can use a command prompt to fix the boot record and also run chkdsk /f

if it doesn't prompt you for the bitlocker key, you may have to manually do it by command line.

Try booting to the windows recovery menu and see if you can use a command prompt to fix the boot record and also run chkdsk /f

if it doesn't prompt you for the bitlocker key, you may have to manually do it by command line.
Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I didn't update this as the thread took a turn. I ended up reinstalling from a flash drive. All of my data was on other drives so I wasn't worried.

Back