Help! Upgraded router firmware....in trouble now

Operaghost

[H]ard|Gawd
I upgraded my Linksys BEFSX41 with the current firmware. Now when I try to login to the routers IP to configure settings, it times out trying to connect to 192.168.1.1.

I went to command prompt and it still shows that IP as the gateway etc, but when I try to ping it, the request times out. Any help?

It may have put itself into the default settings (i.e. back to its original IP and subnet) when you installed the update. Get out the quick-start guide and use that to log in to the router.

If that doesn't work, try restoring the router to its factory default settings. There's probably a button on the back that will require a ball-point pen to press that when pressed as the manual instructs will reset the firmware on the router.

That IP is the default address.

I also tried power cycling the router with no avail. However, I didn't download the "utility" to update the firmware, I just used the link through the routers configuration. Maybe I'll reset it to the defaults and try updating the firmware with this utility.

<------- A complete fuckass noob!

I had the octets reversed, its 192.168

:confused:

*hangs head in shame*

you're ok, you used the word "octet" correctly in context :D

Yeah I have a small amount of networking knowledge but its quite limited.
I have a new problem though. My connection seems to be dropping out for a split second like every 15-20 mins maybe. I dunno if its the whole connection or just AOL IM service...
Any clue? I haven't changed any settings on the router as I've yet to do some researching and learn what they all mean but I'm thinking maybe its a setting in there thats doin it?

Is is a PPPoE connection? If so, you have to look into configuring your router to never "hang up."

Back