Help, trying to share an HP 5150 over a Windows XP network

WakeboardrB

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently dug my 1 1/2 year old HP 5150 out of the closet to print out some powerpoint notes and I'm having trouble sharing it across a windows network. The printer works fine while plugged up to the USB port on both my win xp machine and my rev b 12" powerbook running 10.3.7. I have printer sharing enabled on my xp machine and was able to select the printer on my powerbook.

The problem arises when I have to identify what type of HP printer it is in the printer setup utillity. It has only a few HP printers to choose from and of course not the 5150. Now I've pretty much run myself in circles the past few hours researching the problem and I've determined that the win network printer sharing feature on 10.3 does not cover my printer. I found a list of other HP printers that aren't compatable and it suggests to identify it as another model printer to get it to work. Unfortunately I can't find my 5150 on the lists.

I hope I've given enough information, but if more is required I'll be glad to provide it. I've been running myself ragged trying to get this thing fixed and I'm hoping some apple gurus out there can help me resolve the problem.

Thanks!

All it's doing now is simply not printing, but earlier I selected an HP designjet and it started printing out about 8 pages of various strings and commands and then spit out 40 odd blank pages before I shut it off.

Yes, like I said the printer works fine on both my windows computer and my powerbook when plugged into the usb.

The drivers are installed, but they seem to not make a difference at all as far as network printing goes.

I was going to suggest using the gimp drivers but they don't even list the 5150 as a partially supported printer :(

Yeah, I checked out the gimp page the other night and couldn't find anything about it.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Or should I just bite the bullet and call up apple tech support to see if they can suggest anything?

that won't do you any good as we don't support printing to a shared printer on a windows network

If you cant get it to print directly you can always use the print to PDF feature built into OSX, then just transfer the PDF to your windows machine and print it out from there.

n/m I missed the part about it printing fine while plugged into the Mac USB port

gigglebyte said:
that won't do you any good as we don't support printing to a shared printer on a windows network

You've got to be kidding me. Man, I can't seem to do anything easily with this crap. :mad:

So why exactly does apple include the feature in 10.3 if they aren't going to support it?

did you try using it as a "generic printer" and see what happens? is it possible to set your printer up as an IP printer? i know a lot of the hps have a little usb to cat5 box that allows you to print to IP.

off topic:
what board/bindings do you ride with? my ride of choice is an 03 hyperlite belmont 141 biolite core with 03 hyperlite byerly bindings.

WakeboardrB said:
You've got to be kidding me. Man, I can't seem to do anything easily with this crap. :mad:

So why exactly does apple include the feature in 10.3 if they aren't going to support it?

it is just that...a feature and we don't support windows for obvious reasons ;) you could try HERE and see if they have a section for it as I think they do but just remember...just cause it is in the OS doesn't mean we will support it (terminal is a great example)

Back